Service advisor did not like ATF in P/S system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrsilv04,

You did not tell us the make and model of the vehicle. You did not tell us the underwriter of your extended service plan...there is no such thing as an extended warranty unless it was issued by the factory for a series of failures that would be a PR debacle. You did not tell us who the service writer had to contact for approval to pay for your claim.

In any case, the service writer is NOT an expert on lubricants. Much of what they tell customers is pure speculation and old shadetree mechanics' tales. If there was a service bulletin issued for the steering of your make and model vehicle, we need to know that.

I've always felt there must be a reason many manuals I have seen specifically spec PSF for the power steering system if ATF would "work just fine". I can't believe it's some conspiracy to get you to buy more expensive fluid, "just because".

anybody who put ATF any chrysler passenger car / minivan PS system from 2001-back learns that you get the dreaded pump/wheel vibration of death while steering. The whole system would oscillate and buzz and shake and growl.

I test drove a number of used vehicles with this problem. Then put ATF in the good one I ended up buying. WOOPS! bzzzzzzz/groan in every turn. Flushed with syn PS. back to silky smooth.

There is a preload member in some (all?) racks that actually adds friction to the system. Depending on preload, friction properties of the fluid may/may not adversely affect feel/performance.

I'd used ATF in subarus with no problems, same with some GM and Ford (older). My 08 jeep gets amsoil, and it's better than FF.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
mrsilv04,

You did not tell us the make and model of the vehicle. You did not tell us the underwriter of your extended service plan...there is no such thing as an extended warranty unless it was issued by the factory for a series of failures that would be a PR debacle. You did not tell us who the service writer had to contact for approval to pay for your claim.

In any case, the service writer is NOT an expert on lubricants. Much of what they tell customers is pure speculation and old shadetree mechanics' tales. If there was a service bulletin issued for the steering of your make and model vehicle, we need to know that.

I'm guessing it's his '04 Silverado since he said "pickup."

My truck is a Ford, with one of the notorious Ford PS pumps. The manual says to use Mercon. I have done sporadic turkey baster changes with Super Tech Mercon V since about 40K miles. There are absolutely no issues with the PS on my truck with 103K miles, not even noise. ATF can work great in certain PS systems. If we were talking about a high end European car, I'd say follow the book. With an '04 Silverado, I'd just use ATF without a second thought personally, especially if you had good results in the past.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I don't use ATF. I know I might catch some flack for it, but I use GM PSF in my truck. It's a bit more money than ATF, but it's the right fluid specified in the manual. A quart runs about $7.

I did the same, I bought the "Cold Weather" Synthetic GM PSF and did the turkey baster on my G6. The fluid that came out was black and nasty(3 years old, 35k). Took up about 1/4 to 1/3 the bottle which was like $15 bucks. Rather use what is specified because that STP fluid doesn't have any information, and their CS wasn't to helpful either when I asked about spec numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back