Series lll 3800 plastic elbow got me

I know I know I've seen it discussed here many times about the plastic elbows on the series lll 3800. About a month ago I noticed my reservoir was low but I couldn't see where it was leaking, it must of been very slow at the time, then about 2 weeks ago I come out from work and there is a big puddle underneath the front passenger side so I check and all the coolant was gone out of the reservoir.

Cost
18.00 for the elbow
7.50 for coolant
60.00 for pressure testing and replacing the elbow

10.00 for labor for changing oil/filter I brought in
1.00 for wiper fluid
1.00 filter disposal
1.98 tax
99.48 out the door, I was expecting a lot more.

How many miles on the Lucerne? So far I've been lucky with the 3800 II's I've owned, but with the cost that low I really should just replace the elbows.

Just turned 86k. I wanted him to replace both of them but he didn't have time since my originally appointment was for an oil change only and I didn't want to wait another 3 weeks.

Yeah one of them is more involved with the other. It usually the first thing I do when I get a 3800 or someone I know does.
You got it done really cheap! Nice.

Real cheap. What is the labor rate there?
Last I looked it was $65 but he didn't have any hours/time on the receipt for that entry so I wonder if that is a set price for pressure testing.

I had to go look but yes they are metal. That cost was for both so I have the other one in my glove box for the next time I take it in which may end up being a year from now for it's next oil change, car has been one of the best used cars I have ever purchase as far as repairs.

That's strange because the same part (the belt tensioner / alternator bracket / heater hose passage) holds both elbows. There is no additional disassembly required to replace both elbows compared to one.

Also pulling the tensioner bracket with old brittle plastic elbows off of the engine is very likely to break the elbows, if they aren't already broken.

I'm not by any means saying that your mechanic did you wrong here because that is a good price.

After watching a video on this repair I see what you mean mk378 it would be just as easy to replace both. Now I'm assuming something here, that when I took the car in it had plastic elbows, maybe it had been repaired with the metal elbows before and one started leaking again, I didn't see the used part he replaced.

So let me ask this, if it had metal elbows and one started leaking would you replace the whole elbow or just the seals or is it possible a metal elbow can leak from it being cracked? It just has me wondering why he only replaced one.

I also admit before I watched the video I had no idea where they were located, know I know I will see if I can look later today and see what all he did but I'm guessing that bottom one maybe hard to see.

Some times when I go in there he is so busy I hate to flood him with questions and this wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood him.

At 64 you think I would of learned by now not to assume things :cool:

Last edited:
The bottom elbow has one end larger than the other. The top elbow has both ends the same size.

I think you can see them both from the top with everything put together once you know what you're looking for.

The bottom elbow has one end larger than the other. The top elbow has both ends the same size.

I think you can see them both from the top with everything put together once you know what you're looking for.
I thought the series 3 had only one elbow.

Yes sir easy to see, both are shiny new and makes me feel better, thanks mk378. Now i wonder why the extra elbow, as far as I can tell you can't buy them separately. I bet he's walking around the shop wondering what he did with that elbow.

Yup, the series III 3800 GM in whatever it goes into is a stonkin' great mill.

+1million internets for metal when it comes to coolant elbow replacements. Instant win. 🏆

Indeed, with age the gaskets can just crumble apart. The surfaces just need to be cleaned and a new one sandwiched in place. The plastic ones just completely crumble with time and heat cycles. So no need to replace current metal elbow, just keep feeding it gaskets. But I'd jump and not hesitate when your mechanic finally locates the second one for you.

Back