Series 60 engine concerns.

Here is my latest with Chevron. It's better, the viscosity is better, but it still seems low. Am I thinking to much into this viscosity level stuff? I'll have to look, I'm sure there is a virgin Chevron 15w40 oil analysis on here..

Screenshot_20211116-162208_Drive~2.jpg

IMO that is a good amount of viscosity loss in just 4,000 miles in an engine that holds 10 gallons of oil

IMO that is a good amount of viscosity loss in just 4,000 miles in an engine that holds 10 gallons of oil
That's what I'm thinking as well. I have to call the lab tomorrow about the additional GC test. Could the residual Phillips oil dilute the Chevron that much?

You can. It will you definitively this much fuel is there. If there isn’t that much…you may need an oil with stronger base stocks, for example HPL 15w40 which use PAO for base stock, and is very shear stable.

You can. It will you definitively this much fuel is there. If there isn’t that much…you may need an oil with stronger base stocks, for example HPL 15w40 which use PAO for base stock, and is very shear stable.
Is HPL a brand or a type of 15w40? What about a synthetic? Would that change anything? I've never had this issue so I'm really stumped as to why it's happening.

HPL is high performance lubricants. It is a synthetic extended drain oil that is very stout

Here is a link. It’s pricey but extremely high quality products.

Oil specifications

Elemental composition is second page of this thread

HPL is high performance lubricants. It is a synthetic extended drain oil that is very stout

Here is a link. It’s pricey but extremely high quality products.

Oil specifications

Elemental composition is second page of this thread

Is this the correct Polaris?

No, the oil level isn't rising, there is nothing to indicate any type of fuel dilution. Evey sample I've taken has had >.5 dilution.

What is GC? Is that the other test that Phillips is talking about?
GC is gas chromatography. Not sure what Blackstone uses, but it seems to understate fuel contamination.

Blackstone uses ICP. However, the fuel concentration is not tested with spectral analysis; BS uses a fuel cup and estimates the value based on FP as I recall. However, it's been about a decade since I've visited their lab so things may have changed.

Blackstone uses ICP. However, the fuel concentration is not tested with spectral analysis; BS uses a fuel cup and estimates the value based on FP as I recall. However, it's been about a decade since I've visited their lab so things may have changed.
And flash point measurement has notoriously poor repeatability and reproducibility to start with. Extrapolating something from that measurement is only asking for trouble despite being an actual ASTM procedure. Not all ASTM tests are inherently accurate and they tell you that in the text.

Here is the latest sample. No I have not done the GC test and I did confirm that Blackstone does not. I sent an inquiry to the lab suggested and have not received my sample containers in the mail yet. I'm wondering if an additive is gonna need to be a must to thicken that oil up some.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211224-134706_Drive~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211224-134706_Drive~2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 12
I would say because your flashpoint still is pretty good it’s not fuel, but shear going on, and you need something with better shear stability. The viscosity isnt terrible if it truly has 16,000 miles on the oil.

I would say because your flashpoint still is pretty good it’s not fuel, but shear going on, and you need something with better shear stability. The viscosity isnt terrible if it truly has 16,000 miles on the oil.
Truly has 16k miles? How much should it have?

As noted Blackstone has a history of not being able to accurately measure things, especially flash point.

I was going off your previous samples of 3-5K miles compared to the one with 16K
Those we're either samples for new engine intervals, or other issues and the last prior to this was a draw from the dipstick tube. I've had a good bit of oil issues with this engine since new. I'm starting to think I need a heavier oil, or an additive. Something needs to stop this shearing.

Back