Sentra Shuts Off While Driving in neutral

Sentra Shuts Off While Driving in neutral.
I have a 2012 Nissan Sentra and I have a weird problem, every time I take the freeway exit, I put the car in neural and drive for a less than a minutes to save gass , between 50 to 60 miles/hour, when a reach the stop sign the car shuts off ( I dont touch the brakes or anything ), I can see the RPM from 3000 to 0 and the car shuts off. It happen at the same place. No engine light, the car seems to be working fine
Any idea what cut it be ? Which part should replace ?

Sorry the car is a manual

Last edited:
Sentra Shuts Off While Driving in neutral.
I have a 2012 Nissan Sentra and I have a weird problem, every time I take the freeway exit, I put the car in neural and drive for a less than a minutes to save gass , between 50 to 60 miles/hour, when a reach the stop sign the car shuts off ( I dont touch the brakes or anything ),
How can you drive a car in neural between 50 to 60 miles/hour?
How do you stop at a stop sign without touching the brakes or anything?

First off, you should never coast along on the freeway at any speed! You lose a lot of stability, control, engine braking etc the drive train provides when engaged just to save a few drops of fuel.

You're screwing yourself out of mpgs when you coast in neutral. The ecu has to add fuel to keep the engine running when you disconnect it from the wheels, whereas if you leave it in gear, the wheels turn the engine and the ecu cuts fuel.

No, it's not normal for the engine to die. Check the ecu for codes and repair accordingly. If no codes, it'll take some diagnostic work. But now you have 2 reasons not to coast in neutral anymore.

Regardless of the advisability it still should not do this. If you leave it in gear does it stumble, will it stall if you stop and then move it to neutral. I assume the exit is a fairly steep uphill ramp otherwise you would not stop. Does it start right back up or do you have to turn the key off and on to start it.

The car is a manual, before I reach the exit, I engage the neutral and cruise to the stop sign, I done it so many times that I reach the stop sign with a little help from the brakes

How can you drive a car in neural between 50 to 60 miles/hour?
How do you stop at a stop sign without touching the brakes or anything?
Well I drive around 80 m/h in the freeway, when I move to the right to take the exit, there is still a long way to go (a few miles), by the time I engage the car in neutral ( manual car ) I cruise between 50 to 60 m/h until the car decelerate to maybe 10 m/h to the stop sign

Last edited:
You're probably using more gas by coasting in neutral, if in gear fuel can be cut off and the engine can be turned my momentum. However, the engine shouldn't die if shifted to neutral so something is going on.

Well I drive around 80 m/h in the freeway, when I move to the right to take the exit, there is still a long way to go (a few miles), by the time I engage the car in neutral ( manual car ) I cruise between 50 to 60 m/h until the car decelerate to maybe 10 m/h to the stop sign
Sorry, I don't have an answer on why your engine shuts-off in neutral while coasting.

However, 80 mph uses more fuel than the coasting in neutral would ever make up. Drive the car at normal speed limits or slightly above to keep with traffic. I know, I know, we all travel 10 mph or higher above the posted speed limits. However coasting in neutral in not a good thing even though a manual tranny can do it better than an auto(a real bad thing).

If you want to save fuel, there are much better ways to do it.

The car is a manual, before I reach the exit, I engage the neutral and cruise to the stop sign, I done it so many times that I reach the stop sign with a little help from the brakes
Doing that here will most likely make you fail the driver's exam. At least it was when I passed it, many years ago, but they change these rules all the time, lol.

Modern (I've seen that "feature" since at least the 90's) fuel injection systems will cut the fuel delivery while decelerating anyway, like said earlier you're actually consuming more by putting the car in neutral. If you have the instant fuel consumption displayed you can verify that.

It's illegal in many places, for various reasons. Should you get in a crash, don't admit to anyone that you were rolling in neutral.

A driver focused on trying to "hypermile" and eke out a tiny "gas savings" is also (a) distracted from paying attention to safety and (b) actively prone to take more chances with traffic, for example not slowing when he should.

In gear, my fuel consumption goes to 0.0 L/100kms on my display with my foot off the gas. In neutral it is around 3.3L/100kms, then goes up as you slow to a complete stop. 2013 Mazda Cx-5 manual. You're not saving fuel.

Back