5th gen 4runner engine shuts off while driving.

I have a 2016 4runner with 97000 miles, the engine shut off in the middle of the traffic, It started right back, this is like the third time it has happened. I checked the battery terminals, it seems okay. My radio also restarts randomly, I need to update the software for the radio and navigation but I thought this is nothing to do with the engine shutting off, or is it? I have no codes, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You may have a wire(s) shorting out when it get hot or touches a ground/metal around the engine bay.
That was what I was going to say.

Join the 4Runner forums, there’s a wealth of information.

Unfortunately this year mice have decided to make snacks out of the wiring of my 5th Gen 4Runner and I’m having all kinds of random and odd electrical issues. Daily driver, not a vehicle that ever sits. In my 30+ years of driving I’ve never seen this before.

That was what I was going to say.

Join the 4Runner forums, there’s a wealth of information.

Unfortunately this year mice have decided to make snacks out of the wiring of my 5th Gen 4Runner and I’m having all kinds of random and odd electrical issues. Daily driver, not a vehicle that ever sits. In my 30+ years of driving I’ve never seen this before.
A lot of manufacturers use the soy-based wire coating now, I know Honda is one. This seems to attract mice more than ever before. Honda makes electrical tape that is supposed to have pepper in it to keep them away, but I'm not sure how well it works.

check battery terminals for tightness.(try turning them on the post by hand)
and look for loose or missing grounds.

Would be my first thought.. was there any work done recently to the truck?

Could be ignition switch?
Used to be an issue that they would get warn from actual key use, but you might have push button start?

The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer for codes. Id the fuel pump original? When was the fuel filter last changed?

If no active codes/CEL/SES, were there any pending?

If no rodent damage, which is common now among many brands/models, time for tuneup.

For any make/model:
Crank/cam/temp/maf/o2/AF/vvt sensors/solenoids need testing/verifying, dirty throttle body, worn plugs, clogged air filter, low compression, dirty injectors, vacuum hose leaks, failing thermostat, bad gas, fuel pump/pressure, coils.....

If no active codes/CEL/SES, were there any pending?

If no rodent damage, which is common now among many brands/models, time for tuneup.

For any make/model:
Crank/cam/temp/maf/o2/AF/vvt sensors/solenoids need testing/verifying, dirty throttle body, worn plugs, clogged air filter, low compression, dirty injectors, vacuum hose leaks, failing thermostat, bad gas, fuel pump/pressure, coils.....
No active codes. I should check for rodent damage.

Back