07 Honda CRV Engine Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
Exited I-91 Friday and engine shut off at stop light. 8 attempts to restart were unsuccessful. All electrical worked with ignition on but engine would not start - just turned over, revved and shut off. After 45 minutes car restarted. Idled for 2 hours waiting for flat bed - no issues. No codes or check engine light.

Car has 98,700 miles and is covered under extended Honda Care 100k warranty. Dealer performed 100k service at 97,000. OC every 7,000 with full synthetic.

Dealer cannot duplicate but feels engine may have overheated - but no decrease in coolant level and no codes. There is a strong smell of coolant (which was flushed at the 100k service). Also says it could be a failing camshaft sensor, but admits a faulty sensor should throw a code.

I'm a little spooked. We take car to Brooklyn and NYC regularly - not an ideal place to have the engine shut off. Car has had superb reliability so far.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

I'd check fuel pressure & fuel pump. Were you low on fuel & a long exit ramp pulled the fuel level away from the pick up? Maybe sucked a little air? I know in this hot weather fuel pumps in general don't like the tanks to get low, that's what keeps them cool. At 1/4 tank, I like to fill up my beaters.

I am a little confused. you say the engine wouldn't start, then you say the engine turned over, revved, and then stopped. By that description, the engine did START, just wouldn't keep running.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I'd check fuel pressure & fuel pump. Were you low on fuel & a long exit ramp pulled the fuel level away from the pick up? Maybe sucked a little air? I know in this hot weather fuel pumps in general don't like the tanks to get low, that's what keeps them cool. At 1/4 tank, I like to fill up my beaters.
Yah another vote for running too low. with gas bunched up in corner of the tank. My son did this to mum's 528e. Fuel pumps need gas. You can seize them by running them dry for less than 2 minutes.Other wise, I had the original pump in a 350 kmile / 20 yr old car when I retired it.

Originally Posted By: old1
I am a little confused. you say the engine wouldn't start, then you say the engine turned over, revved, and then stopped. By that description, the engine did START, just wouldn't keep running.

I was not in the car, my wife was. She says: "Engine revved when I applied gas but would shut of in a second or two. When I did not add gas car would just turn over while starter was engaged but did not rev." Thank you for your thoughts.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Tank was 7/8 full. Off ramp is fairly short - 400 yards at most - with a moderate decline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back