Sending out Very Nasty Looking D.I. Sample for UOA

See my signature line. 6313 mi . First OC after 5 months on the factory oil was Valvoline Advanced 5W20 at 1967 mi. That was going good and then I got a bad tank of gasoline at a Mobil station in Hampstead that was just converted to an Irving. Engine was low on power and rough running. Ran 1/2 bottle of Gumout® Regane® with PEA and no improvement. After a couple tanks, the engine ran a little less rough.
I did OC#2 five months later at 4223 miles with the Edge.

I don't blame black bottle Edge though I have never been a fan of the oil. WM was out of Valvoline.
As a note: Gas mileage is also bad averaging 21.6 over the 2090 miles on the Edge 5W20. It was never better than 25 LTA when new though. - Ken
Wow. I hope it's under warranty. Ugh, 21.6 in a car the size of a peanut. Hope it works out easily and soon.

That was going good and then I got a bad tank of gasoline at a Mobil station in Hampstead that was just converted to an Irving. Engine was low on power and rough running. Ran 1/2 bottle of Gumout® Regane® with PEA and no improvement. After a couple tanks, the engine ran a little less rough.
I think one or more injectors are affected by the bad gas.
Poor spray pattern, poor combustion, half burned crud washing down the cylinder walls.

I think one or more injectors are affected by the bad gas.
Poor spray pattern, poor combustion, half burned crud washing down the cylinder walls.
If that were the case, then perthaps a good injector cleaning would be in order, something more thorough than a can of something dumped into the gas tank or sprayed into the intake system.

How does one check the condition of the injectors other than by removing and testing them?

Sounds normal for a high compression GDI. Mine always looks like it came out of a diesel after 3k.
Hope to get the results in a couple weeks. I didnt have a particle count done, I'll just roll with the insol % for now.
I wish I had a filter cutter, be interesting to see the filter media that all this gunk is flowing through - or bypassing!

If i get in the mood next week, I'll get may dremel wheel out to cut it. I owe the forum a OE Japanese Honda oil filter
from my Honda Fit. I don't think we have seen the guts of those gems.

That's how the drained oil looks out of our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder with the DI VQ35DD after only 3500 miles. Nissan upped the OCI recommendation on the new 2022+ to 10K miles too even though the same engine from 2017-21 had a 5000mi OCI recommendation.

Back