Semi-Metallic vs. Ceramic for stopping distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need rear brake pads. I was going to buy them at AAP, AZ or Napa. AZ has a 20% online discount plus pickup in the local store.

I don't care about the brake dust.

Which stops faster, semi-metallic or ceramic?

Notes: These edge codes are located on the edge of the friction material of every brake pad by government regulation, along with some other codes. The first letter is a grading of the C.F. at 250 F and the second letter is a grading of the material at 600 F. Each letter grade can actually have quite a range of C.F. But a difference in the letter grade from medium to hot temperature could be an indicator of fade. The letters can be in any order. Therefore FE pads fade when hot, and EF pads would not grab when cold.. Also, you should know that Steel on Steel has a C.F. of 0.25!! So EE pads have only marginally more torque than no pads at all! Therefore FF pads are usually considered the minimum for a high-performance pad.
Pads with many different compositions will have the same edge code.
Official D.O.T. Edge Code

Coefficient of Friction (C.F.)
@ 250 F and @ 600 F

Comments

EE
0.25 to 0.35 both temps
0-25% fade at 600 F possible

FE
0.25 to 0.35 @ 250 F
0.35 to 0.45 @ 600 F
2% to 44% fade at 600 F possible

FF
0.35 to 0.45 both temps
0-22% fade at 600 F possible

GG
0.45 to 0.55
Very Rare

HH
0.55 to 0.65
Carbon/Carbon only.
O.K. up to 3000 F where it glows

most common brake pads have a mixtures of components,
Fibers of varous sorts, you can have fiberglass, Kevlar, steel, copper, etc. Used to have asbestos, but no more. There is the friction material can be anything from clays, metal powders, various grades of ceramics, all embedded in some kind of thermosetting resins. There are also wear additives such as carbons, graphites, copper, plastics and quieting agents. It is actually way more sophisticated that simply ceramic, or what the edge code indicate.

Last edited:
An important fact that most people don't know about brake pad ratings is this...

There are the CF rating as ragtoplvr posted. This is good info.

But there is a subtle, but equally important consideration - that being how quickly the pads "give up" and fade. The worst case example is when a pad is hot but still offers good braking - but on the very next brake pedal application the pads are "gone".

OEM pads are certified that fade will take place gradually (by DOT standards, IIRC). This gives the driver warning. Aftermarket pads are not required to meet this particular standard.

FWIW,

Scott

Regular Ceramics can be a little weak, semi metallic are probably the better budget option. If you want to spend a little more, I am a big fan of the Akebono Street Performance pads which are GG rated ceramics. I'm running them with Centric High Carbon Cryo Rotors on my G37x and absolutely love them in normal, bad weather and ummm spirited? driving conditions.

Not going to make a huge difference between the two formulations if these pads are to be installed on the rear...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Not going to make a huge difference between the two formulations if these pads are to be installed on the rear...

But with new cars using the ABS/ESP modulator to provide brake force distribution and braking wheels to provide stability, it does matter a little more. I've been noticing this on Subies lately.

Semi-metallics have the edge in stopping power(even EE rated ones) due to abrasive friction. But they do need to be warmed up a bit. I've had old school Bendix semi-mets on my parent's old van and Axxis/PBR Metal Masters on my old car - they stopped well once the brakes got warm.

Ceramics can stop as well or better than semi-mets. Akebono and NBK is providing the German OEMs with ceramic pads now.

Last edited:
Is this for a race or track car ? If not and it's just for normal, daily driving, go with either and not give it a 2nd thought. Even if semi-metallic do stop "better", ceramic pads aren't going to be dangerous by comparison.

Just don't get the cheap Chinese pads from AAP. They are called "silver"" pads. They don't fit right and wear out too fast. If you buy those, you may have to file the metal backing to get them to even fit. The AAP/Carquest "gold" are ok, though.

I've got good ceramic (Akebono) pads on both Volvos and the Mercedes. I notice no difference in stopping performance.

But I sure do notice the reduction in dust!

Semi-metallic.

If you want less brake dust/noise you can use the newer Raybestos hybrid pads. I have put them on several customers trucks with good results. They also wanted more performance vs the factory ceramic and these seem to work while keeping dust/noise under control compared to semi-met.

The highest coefficient of friction, and the highest "bite" with cold pads is found with good quality (e.g Hawk) semi-metallic pads. If ultimate stopping power on the street is the goal, then go semi-metallic.

That said, with good ceramic pads, I don't notice much of a decline in performance.

You should consider EBC pads from Autoanything. They work very well.

The Ultimax "Blackstuff" is a great daily driver pad

EBC makes great brake products (I currently have them on both cars). As far as advance goes, the gold pads are usually a good value for a daily driver.

When they are "cold" and have been rained on, my ceramic pads HOWWWWWL.... not squeal... HOWL (until fully warmed up)

Originally Posted by Linctex
When they are "cold" and have been rained on, my ceramic pads HOWWWWWL.... not squeal... HOWL (until fully warmed up)

What pads are you buying? I've NEVER had them make any noise using Akebono Ceramics on multiple vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back