Semi-lazy question

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an oil analysis in my immediate future. It appears Blackstone is "king".

I sampled throughout this forum and found only ALS (through RockAuto) as an alternative lab choice.

Are there others BITOGers have used with success?

It does seem our eyes are trained to read Blackstone's reports at a glance so that might be the smart default choice.

Thanks, G&K ps I've already emailed for B'stone's mailing kit.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Are there others BITOGers have used with success?
I've used WearCheck many times in the past. I liked the amount of detail they provided and their analysis including TBN and TAN was still cheaper than what Blackstone charged just for TBN. That was a few years back though. I don't know what they charge these days.

Here is a sample report from them:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...0W-#Post4115664

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3168551#Post3168551

Kira,

Normally Blackstone is my go to. However their price with TBN is pretty expensive for a casual report. Since I had 2 samples from a recently sold vehicle and one from a rental 2018 Camry with 5313 miles on the 0w16 oil I didn't want to spent that much money to send the samples to Blackstone for curiosity analysis.

Instead I elected to use a WIX kit that will be analyzed by ALS in Atlanta. For $18.99/ea with TBN I can do without the analysis comments for these reports. They're available with free shipping (if you buy enough, I purchased 3) from O'Reilly part number 24078. They're shipping directly to the house with free shipping. Significantly less expensive than the $35/ea Blackstone charges with TBN.

Over the years I've also used Dyson and Polaris but prefer Blackstone.

Have never used the ALS Wix kit before this will be my first time.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Kira,

Normally Blackstone is my go to. However their price with TBN is pretty expensive for a casual report. Since I had 2 samples from a recently sold vehicle and one from a rental 2018 Camry with 5313 miles on the 0w16 oil I didn't want to spent that much money to send the samples to Blackstone for curiosity analysis.

Instead I elected to use a WIX kit that will be analyzed by ALS in Atlanta. For $18.99/ea with TBN I can do without the analysis comments for these reports. They're available with free shipping (if you buy enough, I purchased 3) from O'Reilly part number 24078. They're shipping directly to the house with free shipping. Significantly less expensive than the $35/ea Blackstone charges with TBN.

Over the years I've also used Dyson and Polaris but prefer Blackstone.

Have never used the ALS Wix kit before this will be my first time.

To add to this, the WIX kit can also be purchased off of RockAuto (part #: WIX 24077) for $9.37 + tax/shipping. I've never purchased it through RockAuto though so I'm not sure if that includes free return shipping or not.

I'm ready to do a UOA and am in the same boat as Kira - which one? It seems the main alternatives are Blackstone, Polaris (through Amsoil), ALS through Wix/Napa, and maybe Wearcheck (seems more industrial oriented).

Regarding ALS, don't they exclude fuel dilution? That would seem to be an important metric with our longer OCI's and today's engine designs.

Maybe we cheap azzes just need to bite the bullet, but $35 plus shipping for a hobby type analysis is the cost of two oil changes. Oh, well.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Regarding ALS, don't they exclude fuel dilution?

The fact that fuel is present can be deduced by FP and KV, kinda like you have to ANYWAY with the "king".

Polaris would be my choice, but at 3x cheaper, the wix kits have my business. And ALS labs are a quick drive across the river. Walk in, set the sample on the counter and leave, beats dealing with UPS/USPS/whatever
laugh.gif
And the results are in in under a week.

My first 3 samples arrived at ALS yesterday, I'm curious to see why the turnaround time is to get the results. Blackstone usually published results between 1-3 business days after the sample arriving. I'll report back.

OK, it is now the next day.

Three of the WIX kits from RockAuto are on their way. USPS says they'll be here in northern New Jersey from Salt Lake City by Saturday.

I let price carry the day. I'm never going to delve deeply into the chemistry of oil analysis so the level of detail will likely be satisfactory.

I too will get back to this thread.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
My first 3 samples arrived at ALS yesterday, I'm curious to see why the turnaround time is to get the results. Blackstone usually published results between 1-3 business days after the sample arriving. I’ll report back.

I typically find ALS a bit slower.

If I mail them the same day it takes 1 day to ALS and 3 to BS and I get the results typically the same day or one day after BS for ALS.

I have used all three--Blackstone, Polaris, and WIX. At $9.00, the WIX kits are hard to beat for "casual" UOA testing (which is what most of us do). With that said, I use Polaris for my Powerstroke because their soot and fuel dilution testing uses current ASTM methodologies.

My 3 WIX #24077 kits from RockAuto arrived in under 57 hours from Salt Lake.
Shipping was $2.99.
I'm 400 miles out from my sampling & sending.
Outer jar (with address label) has a solid feeling cap.
There is a space reserved for postage to the lab.
Sample jar is sealed.
Instructions are in 3 languages.
You select among 3 US and 2 Canadian labs.
Labels to cover the pre-affixed address (Atlanta) are provided.

IMPRESSION: The outer jar says both "Oil Analysis Kit" and "Oil Analysis Laboratory" heads the address.
No effort was employed to keep the contents secret.

Hello,
Today I sent off my very first oil analysis.
7,3XX mi. on a load of Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula.
The lab uses unfamiliar lingo on their form. "Compartment #" and model didn't make complete sense.
I answered "Volvo", for compartment and "V70" for model.

What I hadn't read before was that the lab advised NOT TO USE the label they printed on the outer jar.
I filled out their form and put it all in a bubble envelope.
It cost $4.00 to mail.
I thought I heard the USPS employee ask if it was "...liquid etc...". I didn't have time to answer before the package was thrown into a tray.

This is THE THING I don't like about this whole business.
If there are labs here and in Canada which do this then why in Heaven's name isn't this jazz clearly established by now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back