Selling the Harley Today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I'd even go a step further and note this isn't restricted to motorcycling. The reality is that things happen (insert your own saying there as the case may be).

Life is made up of a very long series of risks. We're constantly reviewing and adjusting based on our perceptions of risk. For some of us, the enjoyment, etc, of motorcycling is now outweighed by our percieved risk to ourselves by enjoying it.

And honestly, that's OK. Everyone's tolerance for risk is different.

Good point and I agree. I think where I take issue with some diehard cyclists is when they label or somehow slight those that no longer accept those risks or have come to realize that as they mature in age, the risks go up. Occasionally SOME diehards have a mistaken notion that as long as they are 'in control' of the bike, they will be safe. Certainly that has MUCH to do with it. But when some think that they can avoid any and all circumstances that could kill them (such as being rear-ended, side swiped, t-boned, turned immediately in front of, etc.), I take issue. Yes, this can happen in a car and does with regularity because of the shear volume of cars on the road. But at least in a car you stand a FAR better chance of survival.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Does anyone else think it is safer to ride at night?

I don't know about a motorcycle, but I definitely feel safer on my bicycle at night. There's less traffic, and I feel a lot less likely to "blend in". Of course, this necessitates being really well-lit, but these days that's easy on a bike. Generally, I get more space from drivers when riding at night, and I feel I'm a LOT less likely to get the dreaded "left turn in front of you from an oncoming car". I think that's the most likely source of both bicycle and motorcycle accidents. When a big headlight is coming at you, it's harder to miss.

In terms of my comfort level, I definitely feel safer riding at night.

Yeah I was thinking most of the unavoidable accidents for cyclists is other drivers not seeing them and pulling out in front of or cutting the cycle off. It's pretty hard to miss a motorcycle's headlights or taillights. Plus there is less traffic rushing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back