Self-propelled mower with pressurized oil system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all - I have a some rather steep slopes that I need to push mow. I'm looking for a self-propelled mower with an engine that has a pressurized oil system/forced lubrication. I've spent hours searching online, but "pressurized oil system" isn't a feature that is typically listed on mower descriptions.
Does anyone have recommendations on mower or engine brands/models that have a pressurized oil system? I'm not looking for a commercial walk-behind, but more of a consumer-grade or low-end commercial model.

Thanks -

Some of the horizontal engines such as Tecumseh have a oil exit for allowing the oil to leave if it has too much oil. If you pay attention to what side that is on and do not put it on the down-hill side, then you might be OK.

And another choice would be an electric mower. There are some that you plug in with a long cord, and others that have a removable rechargeable battery.

We have one of the plug in with a long cord ones, and it is very lite weight and cuts with significant power. It is great on hills. It has the quick stop bar that you have to keep next to the handle. If the grass if extremely high you can take cuts that are about 1/2 the blades diameter, and it will handle it. But usually you just cut with it like any other mower, except you have to be sure to not cut the cord.

Look for something with the Kawasaki FC series engines. These have pressurized oil systems and an optional oil filter. A clean, used John Deere JX75 would meet your needs.

Ed

I'd look for a John Deere with the Kawasaki FC engine. That's the next mower engine I'd like to try. Alternatively, some of the larger and newer Briggs & Stratton OHV engines have small oil filters, which would indicate a pressurized oiling system.

Also, if you are open to buying used, look for a Lawn-Boy with a 6.5 hp Duraforce. It's a 2-stroke engine, so you can run it sideways and it'll never quit. The Duraforce engine is very much a commercial grade engine.

I also understand that most or all Tecumseh engines have pressurized oiling systems, though there is no filter. I don't know how accurate that is, but that's what I've read. But I don't think you can buy a new mower with a Tecumseh anymore.

every vertical shaft tecumseh I took apart had a small pressurized oil system cleverly driven off the cam. I only got into 2-3 horizontal shaft models, however, and they were all splash lube.

BUT, mowing with any tecumseh or briggs of that era, you had to keep the crankcase breather on the high side or it would just puke gobs of oil. took a pretty steep slope however.

Last edited:
I have a JD JX75 with the Kawasaki FC engine I use to mow my sloped front yard. I bought it off of CL last year for $70.00, the guy said it wouldn't run so he went to Lowes and bought a Husqvarna selp propelled front drive! I paid him as fast as I could and left thinking he had sold the wrong mower, got it home and cleaned the carb and it runs like a top. These mowers sold for $600.00 12 years ago. They also made the SB14 which is the JX75 only the deck is a natural finish as opposed to the JX75 which is JD green. They also have a blade brake clutch which stops the blade but allows the engine to continue running, if you need to pick something up for example then go back to the mower... you just re-engage the blade and you're off mowing again without having to restart the engine. I have a Honda that just sits in the garage now that I have the JX75. I do have to say that having mowed with mowers for years that didn't have the pressurized oiling system, I never had a problem using them on my sloped yard. Also, the JD models I mentioned have a Tuff Torq 5 speed transmission which is practically bullet proof. They're great mowers. Thanks

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Honda commercial OPE engines with iron liners are not splash lube.

A vertical shaft Honda GXV engine (their commerical engine with iron cylinder liner) that you'd find on a lawn mower is splash lube.

http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxv160

Some have the oil alert system, which shuts the engine at a certain oil level. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Also: I wrote Kawasaki FC engine above, but I was thinking of the FJ engine. I think the FJ engine is the current one that you'll find on a lawn mower, if buying new.

http://kawpower.com/engines/fj-kai/fj180v-kai

look for a 14sb or any 12-14 model john deere most have oil filters and presurized oil systems. 1 got mine on CL for $100 fixed it up and use it alot.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I have NEVER heard Tuff Torque and bulletproof EVER mentioned in the same sentence

K92 in my Deere 455 is pretty close! The K46 has given this company a bad rep.

I have NEVER heard Tuff Torque and bulletproof EVER mentioned in the same sentence

Maybe I shouldn't have made a blanket statement. The JD JX75 and the SB14 with the Tuff Torq transmissions I have owned as well as the 15 year old K61 in my JD LX188 have been bulletproof! Now you have heard it mentioned in TWO sentences! Thanks

I have a self-propelled John Deere JX-75 with the Yamaha FJ180v engine. It is pressurized and you can buy a spin-on oil filter kit.

It uses a Fram 4967 filter.

If you want to bag your yard, and you can find one used, the snapper hi-vac had some models with a Robin 2 cycle engine. Powerful 2 cycle that is hailed to "run forever" by many. I have one just for bagging and it has extreme suction capabilities. It fills a lot more bags than other mowers for better or worse. You could mow on any grade possible with the same lubrication. The EPA doesn't like 2 cycle mowers anymore so several years old is the only option.

I would not worry about a pressurized oil system for a slopped lawn. I doubt it will be a problem.

People do get hurt on slopped lawns so be careful. The mower or operator can slip.

I have also seen people tie a rope to a mower and lower it down and pull it up. Not sure that's a great idea however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back