Oils with viscosity of 50 in push mower

I was wondering why I can't use an oil that has a viscosity of 50 in a self propelled lawn mower with briggs and stratton engine. It says to use Vanguard heavy duty 15w-50 in commercial use. On the bottle it shows walk behind lawn mowers, zero turn mowers, riding mowers, pressure washers, and generators. What do you think??
1603131076174.png

In my tractor I use 15w40 HDEO as it's the cheapest oil with the protection I think is necessary. If I were to go syn in the JD, I would not hesitate a minute to use 15w50 M1 or any similar oil. I think in my case it's way overkill, but I can see no downside to using it, other than cost. Several years ago I had a Husqvarna commercial tractor with hydro that called for 20w50 dino oil in it. The factory also approved 15w50 M1, so I put it in with a new filter. Fast forward, I sold the tractor and it ended up in the hands of a local church. It is still running fine and I'm sure they have never touched the hydro, and it's been many years. So, I have great respect for M1's heavy duty oils.

I only have one mower. It's a Southern States branded rider with a 19 hp B&S single cylinder ohv. I use Amsoil dominator 15w50 with an AcDelco PF53 oil filter. I've used some sort of 50wt oil in any piece of ope I've ever owned. Works for me. 👍

air cooled engines get HOT + oils thin even more than the spec so a 50 is good especially if your engine is worn + a higher cold # like a 20-50 is better as it uses less thinner base oils. most all synthetics are using fake synthetic base oil so burnoff in the heat is common!!

I thought modern group 3 synthetics dont shear like oils did 30 years ago. Is that not the case?

While you could certainly use this oil, B&S specifies it for commercial applications where the equipment might run 8+ hours per day. A straight SAE 30 or a synthetic 10w-30 is all that most of us homeowners will ever need. If that still troubles you, stop by your local Walmart and purchase something in either 5w-40 or 15w-40 Heavy Duty (Diesel) oil.

My brother has used 20w50 in a push mower with decent results. Didn’t do a thing about consumption though; that’s why he tried it. Also it seems to be under a bit of load when it’s first started until the oil warms up. After it’s hot, no issues whatsoever.

I run 0w40 in my OPE personally. I already buy large amounts so it’s no big deal to use a pint to a quart here and there.

When I was a boy, my dad had a Western Auto Store, we just used good old 30 wgt...briggs and stratton,,,ran for years...Im old now..lol

It's the temperature of air cooled engines that drives the straight 30 viscosity oil, as it's HTHS "characteristic" is high enough to deal with uncontrolled/unmanaged oil temperature. When the oil temp is cool enough, even a 5 viscosity oil is sufficient for small engines.

But as many of us here in South Florida discovered, air cooled engines don't hold up when oil viscosity is insufficient and temperatures are not managed. I switched to Mobil 1, 15W-50 in my air cooled generator engines. A great many of my neighbors that used dino 5W-30 ended up with engine failures after the hurricanes.

But if oil is not pressurised into the bearings will it still shear? Do ope bearings get to 150c?

But if oil is not pressurised into the bearings will it still shear? Do ope bearings get to 150c?
This has nothing to do with full pressure lubrication. When it comes to air cooled OPE, the cylinder walls and head can and will easily exceed 150C. Running oils with viscosity above what is recommended will actually increase the oil temperature in most cases.

I was wondering why I can't use an oil that has a viscosity of 50 in a self propelled lawn mower with briggs and stratton engine. It says to use Vanguard heavy duty 15w-50 in commercial use. On the bottle it shows walk behind lawn mowers, zero turn mowers, riding mowers, pressure washers, and generators. What do you think??
View attachment 32079
So where does it say you can't use a 50 weight? If can handle a straight 30, it sure won't have any problem handling any 15w50 or 20w50.

I have used 20w-50 in engines which were getting "loose" inside or starting consume oil to prolong it life.

Back