Self-driving vehicle vs chaotic traffic ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... in third world countries

I think it is not possible to design a self-driving vehicle to handle a no traffic rule, a pedestrian or an object can approach you in any direction at any speed, how a self driving vehicle can predict the behavior of surrounding objects ?

There are no clear lanes, no traffic signal, no direction, absolutely no rule of any kind.

Quote:
To anyone accustomed to driving in the US, this scene looks like pure chaos. Instead of traffic lights and polite yielding by drivers, the road is a free-for-all where every driver does whatever they want. Miraculously, they mostly avoid crashing into each other.

Humans rely on a variety of subtle cues, both visual and auditory, along with the brain’s amazing parallel processing capabilities, to pull this off.

Quote:
But self driving cars are working with a much more limited set of tools. Earlier this year, a Google self-driving car collided with a bus at a Mountain View, California intersection because the car mistakenly assumed the bus would stop or slow down.

On the streets of Vietnam a self-driving car will need to make hundreds of these kinds of on-the-fly predictions.

And with dozens of motorbikes, cars, and pedestrians all independently moving according to their own rules, and no one clearly yielding, it’s easy to imagine a self-driving car getting overwhelmed and freezing in place, afraid to make any move.

Source of this thread: http://www.businessinsider.com/vietnam-problem-self-driving-cars-2016-9

Below are few Youtube videos showing chaotic traffic of a normal day in Vietnam, one is in Hanoi and the other is in Saigon. Also, some comment of visitors about the traffic over there.

Few Comments:

Originally Posted By: Hanoi traffic
It's also amazing how quickly you get used to it. On the first day of my first visit to Vietnam I remember waiting at an intersection for traffic to stop so I could cross the street. Then I realized it was never going to stop and I just had to walk right into it. Within a couple of hours it seemed totally normal to me.

Riding a scooter in Vietnam is an amazing experience for westerners. I had to relearn the concept of keeping a 'safe distance'. If you avoid collision by a millimeter all is well. Keep riding. Keep beeping your horn. As a pedestrian, when crossing the road, close your eyes, take a deep breath, open eyes and walk. Don't stop. Amazing experiences. Loved every moment in Vietnam.

Would a round about not solve all of this malarkey ?

Nope! They would still go wherever they want, however they want, and whenever they want!... But the beauty of it is that they are careful drivers and are skilled in avoiding each other!... And they don't get mad when someone cuts them off! (unless it's done in an aggressive and rude manner...)

Originally Posted By: Saigon traffic
Its a work of art! One of those "unspoken" wonders of the modern world.

Originally Posted By: Saigon traffic
Crazy how they just make it work. I've been there recently and there was no problem crossing the street. You just have to know whats going on it seems. People in the states would freak out!

Last edited:
I'd rather drive in Saigon without brakes that without a horn, it was crazy even back in the day.

Smoky

Well how is Musk going to save all those lives in third world countries when his technology only works on multilanes with clear markings ?

Or is his extrapolation of the straight multilane Autopilot death toll across the globe (which includes these places), simply plucking a number out of his bum to impress people ?

At 3 minute 5 second of this video a man in blue shirt walks across a very busy intersection without looking at anyone, somehow he didn't get hit by any vehicle.

The driving/walking rule in those madness cities are: keep plowing ahead very inch until the last mini-second/inch, if others don't give you room then stop or change direction.

I think it is almost impossible for anyone here to drive a car or ride a motorcycle over there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Well how is Musk going to save all those lives in third world countries when his technology only works on multilanes with clear markings ?

Or is his extrapolation of the straight multilane Autopilot death toll across the globe (which includes these places), simply plucking a number out of his bum to impress people ?

If you watch some of the video of the insane traffics in Asian cities you should see that the speed is very slow, probably no more than 10-15 MPH(15-20 KMH) and if accident does happen no one could be killed, unless run over by a large truck.

As I said in other thread, it is not possible to prove or disprove Elon Musk's claim of saving 500,000 out of 1.3 million accident death a year, if all vehicles in the world are equipped with his autopilot.

How many times have I said "why does not Google test their self-driving car in Mumbai or Banglore?" I will bet that engineers over there have significantly contributed to that development project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back