Seeping oil from this sensor. Photos inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

It seems from the bolt that's holding the sensor, oil is seeping causing a coat of oil on the side of the engine.

I was told that the O-ring under the bolt might be the culprit. What sensor is this and is there an o-ring that might be seeping under this sensor, if there is such one. I want to go to the dealer and buy the O-ring if it is the problem and need to know the exact name of the part.

The vehicle is a '99 Nissan Maxima with 134k miles on the odometer.

Thanks
IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I can bring the whole car in and have them look at it but I wanted advice from you guys first.

It's an O-Ring I'm sure... Usually Japanese use this type of seal.

When you get the new one, before you replace it spray it with a good penetrating fluid to make it stretch/fatten up a bit and then put it in. It will also help you put it in because it will be somewhat slippery.

It shouldn't leak again.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
When you get the new one, before you replace it spray it with a good penetrating fluid to make it stretch/fatten up a bit and then put it in.

Serious? Is the effect permanent?

Also, you can clean it all up dry, then re assemble it with a premium silicone RTV.
Even a smear of RTV on new parts may be a good idea.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: StevieC
When you get the new one, before you replace it spray it with a good penetrating fluid to make it stretch/fatten up a bit and then put it in.

Serious? Is the effect permanent?

Permanently tight fit with a great seal, stops the seal from hardening or cracking in futre... Works like a charm...

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Now colour me wrong, but wouldn't removing the sensor throw the accuracy off?

Can someone confirm.

If I recall correctly those sensors use a simple magnet to sense the position of the cam which generates a small electrical current via inductance. I don't think you'll throw your timing off, and the accuracy should be a moot point unless you have a bad sensor to begin with.

If it were mine, I'd be tempted to just replace it anyway since it looks like you may have to take it out to replace that O-ring. Makes no sense to do essentially the same job twice IMHO.

The job is very easy as there is only 1 bolt holding the sensor in. If the sensor is functioning properly, I'd rather spend $2.50 on just the O-Ring from the dealer.

Do I have to worry about oil pouring out when I take this sensor out or will it be on the bottom of the pan when the engine is off?

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
If I recall correctly those sensors use a simple magnet to sense the position of the cam which generates a small electrical current via inductance. I don't think you'll throw your timing off, and the accuracy should be a moot point unless you have a bad sensor to begin with.

If it were mine, I'd be tempted to just replace it anyway since it looks like you may have to take it out to replace that O-ring. Makes no sense to do essentially the same job twice IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back