Seeking great oil Guru Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2000 Jeep wrangler with 4.0 6cyl with a little over 100k given to me recently as my college wheels. My father, original owner, changed the oil every 5000 with the cheap stuff (for sure not good oil). Here is the deal. I delivery drive at night and do around 20 to 30 stops mostly short runs of no more than 5 to 7 miles. Usually the jeep is warm the whole time so it is not seeing frequent cold starts and I live near Sacramento California, fairly warm climate. Ever since obtaining the Jeep I use Mobil 1 10/30 every 5k with an oversized K&N filter. My Pops say I am wasting money on the Mobil 1 and filter. However, with the amount of start/stops per night, I would think, I need all the protection I can get. I have sent away for a used oil sample kit from Blackstone labs to get some definitive numbers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Bring back the numbers, and some useful advice may be dispensed. It seems to me that you are on the right track insofar as sending away for a UOA.

I would probably agree with your father on the filter, but the oil, well, let the UOA speak for itself on that aspect.

I would use HAVOLINE 10w30 year round, with a WIX filter,this is severe driving dont try to extend drain intervals. Your dad is right Mobil 1 is a waste of money for this type of driving. Go to the UOA section a see the incredible engine protection HAVOLINE provides. My 96 Jeep has 391,650 miles on it without any internal engine repairs, except for the first 30,000 miles it has had nothing but HAVOLINE 10w30.

I think you are on the right track. K&N filters are very good but pricy. Carquest (Wix) makes a good filter. I actually use the cheaper grade. Even the "Cheaper Oils" your dad used should have done fine at 5K oil changes. Anxious to see your oil analysis numbers.

Make sure you clean thoroughly around the drain plug. Make oil is good and hot and grab a sample abter several seconds of draining.

Use Rotella T syn, or M1 T/SUV, both 5W-40 and a motorcraft FL1A filter. Change oil once a year, or 5000Mi. Your wrangler engine will be happy and you will save a little money.
smile.gif

To save even more money, use Havoline 10/30 or 10/40 oil and change every 4000Mi.
Best prices for all these items at Wal-mart locally.
offtopic.gif

Is Davis in northern Ca.? It's been 40 years since I lived out there. Memory is not what it used to be.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks, I am anxious to see the UOA numbers as well.
Oh yeah Davis is in Nor cal in between Sacramento and the bay area.
By the way WE OWN STANFORD!

posted December 09, 2005 10:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Rotella T syn, or M1 T/SUV, both 5W-40 and a motorcraft FL1A filter. Change oil once a year, or 5000Mi. Your wrangler engine will be happy and you will save a little money.

I agree..for what it's worth..ask me a medical question LOL

quote:

I delivery drive at night and do around 20 to 30 stops mostly short runs of no more than 5 to 7 miles.

quote:

However, with the amount of start/stops per night, I would think, I need all the protection I can get.

This cycle doesn't fit the short trip defenition since the engine doesn't cool off in between the start-ups.
All you do is just restarting the still warm engine. In reality your trips are 20 miles long, not 5-7.

Even though the city driving is harder on oil Mobil 1 should be able to go much longer than 5K mi

Quote:
"This cycle doesn't fit the short trip defenition since the engine doesn't cool off in between the start-ups.
All you do is just restarting the still warm engine. In reality your trips are 20 miles long, not 5-7."

A friend with the GM OLM changes his oil at 6k with the monitor reading 25%. He does a newspaper route manager job - engine is mostly idling or off between short trips for 6 hours a day. So the OLM is saying the warm-to-hot engine, even though idling alot, is not hard on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back