Security Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know several LEO's on different levels of government...

....they have Cameras AND dogs. I'd just copy what they do.

Zmodo and Swann both have some good systems.

I have one camera system that covers my front gate and driveway about 300 yards from the house. It has it's own battery and solar panel, and a WAP router that talks to my main router. I can see who's at the gate on my phone anywhere in the world as long as I have a cell connection.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I remember in my CCW class, the instructor mentioned New Jersey prosecutors have a problem with people defending themselves using hollow point ammunition.

He was just trying to scare you, and doing a bad job of it.
If you research this, you will find it has become "Internet Lore"

Lights, locks and alarms.

LEO here, that’s what I tell everyone.

Lights: if you get within 40’ of my home, multiple motion lights activate.

Locks: good quality handles, deadbolts and padlocks in everything else.

Alarms:good quality and monitored. Around here the best are the local mom and pop shops. The national companies are meh.

Cameras: game cam at driveway to get plate numbers, ring doorbell and decent wuality Amazon 8 camera system that catches just about my whole property, but more importantly every door and window.

There are so many options that its impossible to answer your question without knowing how much money you have to spend, or want to spend, as well as the sq footage of your home.
Forget the dog though, that is useless.

Options include a true professional security system.
Which would include, 1. alarm.com doorbell camera and if you wish 1. alarm.com outdoor camera in the rear plus you can also opt for 1 indoor camera.
The cameras are set to record on motion and if the alarm system is triggered. It can be viewed on any computer in the world or any smart phone.
You can get a complete system covering 3 door contacts, motion sensor, alarm panel, doorbell camera, outdoor camera with no upfront costs what so ever, 36 to 60 month contract, most likely at 49 to $59 a month actual payment, no taxes. Plus the system is fully maintained by the alarm company if anything breaks so you are not stuck fixing it or paying for it.

Second choice, go out and get yourself a DVR and a few cameras, alarm system with external siren or a do it yourself monitoring company kit.

Third choice get yourself some IP cameras that notify you when they detect motion.

If your serious, your best option is a professional alarm company at the prices above. There are many options and you do not have to concern yourself with installing or maintaining.

If your handy and resourceful, nothing wrong with going it alone, IF, IF, you are serious about it and not someone who will get the thing up and running, then forget about it and let it break down after a year or two.

In my business, most people neglect their self installed systems and normally call us a year down the road if they are serious about security.
Most of all, for less then $60 a month, you can pick up the phone and have a full professional system installed in a few hours. No money to lay out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input here guys. I've got alot to read through and research to do!

thumbsup2.gif

In the following order, if you choose to go to an alarm company, I would recommend as long as they are available in your area.

1. Vector Security - Privately owned, took #1 award two times in the last decade out of over 30,000 monitoring companies by SDM magazine.
With their security care package you NEVER pay for a service call for any defective equipment, only time you pay is if you damage it, acts of god and batteries.
Typical response time less then 60 seconds. Vector is large enough where they also monitor national retail chains, one such example is Lowes Home Improvement stores ... also Urban outfitters, TJ Maxx, ect.

With a company like ADT you will get whacked every time they walk in the the door to your home, stockholder owned ADT responsibilty is to its stockholders and they will suck every dollar down to the last penny and service call out of you.
They routinely start customers at lower rates and then raise you.
Also, if you know anyone, have them set off their alarm system on purpose and wait, wait, and wait until you get a response.

2. South East USA - ADS Security is one to check out as well. (#1 by SDM Magazine in 2014)

The key is NEVER believe a sales person unless you see it in writing. I do know with Vector, Security Care package there is never a cost for a service call or for equipment (other then batteries or acts of god) and that is included in the price I quoted in the above post.

Many regional companies are worth a look and I also encourage all people to INTENTIONALLY set off their alarm system and time how long it takes for the Central Station to call your phone. Its truly the only way to know if your system is even working at whatever monitoring company you are using.

AS far as Simply Safe, Ooma and others, nothing wrong with going it alone, self installing and maintaining and using one of these services, as long as you are going to properly maintain it and test it on a regular basis. Its certainly better then nothing.
Everything has a cost, depends how much you want to spend, I have no experience with self install systems and do not know how easy or hard it is to defeat.
I do suspect with Simply Safe, all I would need to know is where the "cone" is plugged in, then once kicking in your door the 30 second countdown to disarm timer starts, not knowing the disarm code I calmly walk to the Simply Safe cone, unplug it and stick it in the refrigerator to prevent the cell unit from calling the central station which of course defeats the purpose of entire system. External siren as mentioned by someone in here is always a good idea with a self install and not a bad idea with a professional system.

Last edited:
See this pretty Simply Safe cone? (after reading my other 2 posts above) Click here

Well you better well hide it, because a thief can "Simply" (no pun intended) pick it up and throw it in the refrigerator to effectively stop the unit from sending the alarm signals to Central Station. The metal of the refrigerator prevents the signals from its built in cell unit from transmitting the alarm signals to central station!
I am sure you can bet Rush, Glenn Beck, Hannity are not dumb enough to reply on that, yet they tell you how great it is, just an example as to believing the "press" when it comes to security, you dont think any of them actually understand security systems do you?.

As far as the press reviews, they are even dumber.
Again, without question, better then nothing and properly HIDE the cone. But Simply Safe Marketing is a lie and the "press" well look at it this way, what makes a "reporter" an expert in security or anything in life?

Just properly hide the cone and at least you have a chance with a system such as this, I wouldnt be so negative about SIMPLY SAFE if iT wasnt for the GROSSLY MISLEADING ADVERTISING. Their system and equipment quality doesnt come close to the security level of a professional system. Their cost of $350 ++ up front for this cheaper equipment is never advertised, nor is the cost of replacing it when it goes bad.

Again, nothing wring with it just know the limitations, a professional system is a cost many families can afford but if your one who likes electronics and properly done, a do it yourself system can be just as effective as most.

As far as cameras, same thing, you can do it yourself if your one who enjoys that stuff, if not, have someone do it. LOTS of neat stuff out there.

Alarm.com everything is stored in the cloud, if you do your own without the cloud and DVR based, make sure to hide the darn DVR. Its common for thieves to rip out the DVR when robbing a business, taking all video evidence along with the stuff they just stole!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back