Sears is still incompetent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears is no longer viable. You just listed why. Time to move on. I am noticing a lot of Craftsman stuff at Ace Hardware and Lowes. Could they possibly get what you need?

Sears is far from the only place that makes you go through the checkout process to get a shipping cost.

I actually just ordered an item from Sears today. It had free shipping, and also had the option for free pickup at a local Kmart. The free shipping option said it would arrive on the 18th, and there was an option for faster shipping at an extra cost. I just went with the free shipping, it shipped today and I already received a notification from UPS that it will be delivered tomorrow.

The Sears web site has been a slo-mo train wreck for years. It has problems on every level.

Things I have run into myself:

Filtering input- put a $ in any input field and it will crash when you hit next.

Product database- open stock Craftsman sockets, a common "oh I need a replacement" item, listed in a.) multiple categories, some here, some there b.) multiple titles c.) multiple abbreviation schemes. No one search returns all 3/8 Metric 12 points, or all SAE 6 pts, etc.

Search- fails at the most basic level. Copy the product title. Search for it from that product. Not on first page of results, most of the time.

Fraud- I hit Purchase (or whatever), and my DOLLAR TOTAL CHANGES UPWARDS. Or downwards. Usually upwards. This is not "bait and switch", this is pure fraud. I have screen shots of the craziness. It's a wonder someone hasn't gone to jail for this.

Despite all this, I milked the site for points and near-free stuff, on and off, for a few years. Some Craftsman stuff was still good up to the end, for example the 10# slide hammer was really Bosch/OTC (it shipped from a Bosch warehouse), the air drill I got was Florida Pneumatic. I got both cheap with a heap'n help'n of points.

But was it worth the trouble? I had to cancel the air drill order 4 times until I got it to actually use the points it said it was using. That process took 2 weeks. But I got my bargain! lol

Most sane people would not put up with such madness.

As a kid, i loved the candy counter they used to have. All kinds of roasted nuts, tons of different candies like 40+ kinds. I miss the smell of that.

I tried through Shop Your way.

First, their search spell check didn't recognize the trademark "nextec" and redirected me to "next" and some obscure books.

sears3.png

Then I click "add to cart" for the item and get this pop-up. I am starting to think that they didn't pay the supplier of these batteries and they have ceased to exist.

sears2.png

A couple weeks ago Sears got a judge's approval to give out something like $18 million to their top execs to (paraphrasing) " keep good people" so they did not leave. Today they filed bankruptcy to liquidate, then the CEO submitted a last minute $5 billion bid (officially through his equity firm) after the directors rejected his previous $4.2 billion bid.

Originally Posted by spasm3
As a kid, i loved the candy counter they used to have. All kinds of roasted nuts, tons of different candies like 40+ kinds. I miss the smell of that.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that candy counter.
I loved the hot salted cashews.

Sears has been sending "You have $5 FREE" emails far a while. Now they're "$8 OFF a $60 purchase".
I have one today that's "$9 OFF a $55 purchase". I guess it's because I didn't go for the $8 offer.

An employee in the Hackensack store said their's would be the very last to close as Sears owns it outright.
I assume a flow of clearance items will be their final act.

The Hackensack store was 3 buildings on Main St. The architecturally familiar towered main building at the south end and a Sears Automotive Center on the north. A simple building was built between them. It was for heavy seasonal items like outdoor furniture, Christmas displays and appliances.

That building was knocked down and a new ALDI supermarket took it's place.
FYI: ALDIs are austere but good.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

The toffee covered peanuts were my favorite. Coming from a family with little to no disposable income, a bag of those was like getting a bag of gold.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

The toffee covered peanuts were my favorite. Coming from a family with little to no disposable income, a bag of those was like getting a bag of gold.

Now if we could just find a pharmacy that makes hot off the grill cheeseburgers and serves Coke in that classic glass …

Amazon will buy some the closed Sears locations once they go out of business and turn them into Whole Foods or Amazon Go retail stores.

Amazon is only interested in the Sears stores in nicer neighborhoods.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Sears is a dead man walking these days.
A shame, especially since e-retail is so cheap to do well.

Even more of a shame when you realize Sears was king of mail order. They had the distribution, the goods, and the logistics all figured out. They just had to put it on the Web early on (like they did for the catalogs) and they could have wiped Amazon off the face of the Earth. And they were an early investor in Prodigy so they had a little of the tech sauce too.

Darn shame too - they could have had it all.

Not really. Just like Intel used to have the fastest ARM processor (StrongARM) and then just it down, there's conflict of interest with their legacy businesses, so they'll never kill their golden goose.

This is why innovation is always from the outside.

Or, see if your local Batteries Plus (or similar) can rebuild the existing battery pack. I'm sure it's simply full of standard cells.

Originally Posted by Balrog006
Originally Posted by eljefino
Have a pretty nice Nextec Li-ion impact driver. Battery needs replacing. Is somewhat of an odd duck.

Sears has one for $25. They have either free pickup in store or I can pay god-knows-what for shipping to my house.

I entered my zip code; no stores within 100 miles of me have the item. And I guess they can't drop-ship it on a "hub run" or however they get merch to their B&Ms.

Despite my having entered my zip code, they wanted me to proceed to checkout with their online shopping cart to give me a price on shipping.

I've had about enough of this. I'm audi 5000!

https://www.mtobattery.com

Fairly inexpensive, quick, effective-I can recommend them highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back