Sears closing 78 K-mart/Sears stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: bigt61
I really only liked Sears for the tools and the Kenmore appliances.

Me too, although every time I went there I saw tons of old stock that was covered in dust. For example, the quarts of SL oil with the faded labels that were still $10. Their business model is outdated and it's a miracle that they've made it this far. It's a shame.

The Sears store here still has SJ rated Castrol Syntec 5W50. Faded out labels that you can barely read at $10 a quart!!

At that price they will never sell that
frown.gif

Well....in my opinion they will be of no great loss when they are completely gone.

In my neck of the woods, Sears and K-Mart are really nearing the bottom of the retail barrel. Almost as bad as Big Lots. So many better stores these days.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
The last remaining Kmart in my area is on the closure list... But 2 of the smaller non- mall Sears stores ( in smaller towns) in the area are remodeling...
http://limaohio.com/news/176561/sears-unveils-upgrades-at-st-marys-van-wert-stores

If Sears has a chance in a warm, intemperate climate of surviving, it will be as a result of these smaller franchise stores.
Sears has no business in soft goods. The smaller stores are a good representation of the areas in which they can compete.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Competition killed Sears & Kmart.

That's not correct. Edward Lampert and his incompetence as the CEO of Sears Holdings bears responsibility for the downward spiral of both brands. The way the various business units at Sears Holdings are managed and pitted against each other simply doesn't work.

All this started when Kmart decided under pressure from gun-control advocates to stop selling firearms and ammunition.

Firearms sales had nothing to do with it.

Firearms sales has everything to do with it. Did they remove guns/ammo because of low sales or demand? No, they removed merchandise because:

Quote:
Three Columbine survivors and filmmaker Michael Moore, who is best known for a 1989 documentary that assailed General Motors Corp.'s actions in closing a plant in his hometown of Flint, met with Kmart executives in Troy for four hours Wednesday. They requested that the ammunition be removed from shelves.

Moore said he is happy with Kmart's decision.

Quote:
The NRA helped in a big way to put Kmart out of its misery. When Rosie ‘guns are OK for my bodyguards but no one else’ O’Donnell petitioned Kmart to drop ammo from its stores, the NRA pounded them and let all of its membership know it. By dropping the ammo, Kmart shot themselves in the foot.

Quote:
Gun-Selling Wal-Mart About to Become the World’s Largest Company

Lost interest in Sears many years ago. Lowe's line of Kobalt tools is competitive with Craftsman, and the store's are much nicer. I would imagine when Sears does close up, somebody will buy the rights to Diehard, Kenmore, and Craftsman tools.

Seems to me many years ago living away from any big cities that Sears was a place to order stuff out of the catalog, and pick it up a week or two later when the goods were shipped to the local pick-up center.

As a young-un, my brother and I always looked forward to getting the annual catalog to pore over all of the things that were not affordable in our household.

They of course have had to change their business model to keep up with the times, but have been slow on the draw in recent years.

I wonder if Sears goes under completely, what will happen to Craftsman tools? I would think the tool line is good enough, has been around long enough, and has so many customers that they could make a go of it on their own without Sears. I would hate to see Craftsman go away...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I wonder if Sears goes under completely, what will happen to Craftsman tools? I would think the tool line is good enough, has been around long enough, and has so many customers that they could make a go of it on their own without Sears. I would hate to see Craftsman go away...

Harbor Freight will buy the brand.......

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I hope someone does, they make nice tools! I don't know if I'd want Harbor Freight to buy them out as they have a tendency to cheapen things up...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

It will go independent as a brand. It really has already.
Craftsman can be purchased at Ace Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back