Sealing and protecting old wood window sill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many products I could say to use but none can be had by a homeowner or a pro painter. Pop Rivit has it right I could have had it down to two coats.

The best way is to get it to raw wood. Even after using a paint stripper there will be the need for steel wool and sanding. The dust will contain lead. Also keep in mind before applying the paint remover you have to first scrape off any loose or peeling paint. Once you have it stripped, sanded, and cleaned of all residual paint remover I would wipe it down with mineral spirits. Then prime it with a good exterior oil base primer with a little bit of paint thinner to get it to penetrate a little deeper into the wood. I'd get a good coat of that on and two coats of a good exterior latex paint, making sure to move the window often as it dries. Allow ample drying time between coats, overnight is best between coats even with latex products for a longer lasting job.

That type of work is labor intensive and can be a little pricey. If you're concerned with handling lead and hazardous materials hire someone.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I'm having a difficult time thinking of a solution that doesn't involve stripping the paint. I'm guessing that the reason you can't get new paint to stick has a lot to do with whatever it is that's currently on the wood.

I think the issue is moisture, had similar issues finally gave up painting them every year and installed all PVC sills, no more cracking, peeling or dry rot. Especially if the window is near a A/C or heat pump, moisture all over the place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back