UV protection for decorative architectural copper?

A two-part question.

The wood of the cupola on an outbuilding finally rotted away last year. I bought a new wooden cupola but will re-use the copper from the old one. I am in the process of cleaning and polishing the copper and wondering about the best UV protection for it. I want something that will last 15 or 20 years kind of protection, not just spray-on rattle-can clear. It will be on a high-pitched roof exposed to weather 24/7 with no easy access to ever clean or re-treat.

Reading and searching, I don't see any clear-cut (see what I did there?) advice. I see something used that is brush-on called "Everbrite," no experience. I am tempted to try air-cure c-series Cerakote in gloss clear. Would be about $60 for enough Cerakote for the job, not sure the cost of the Everbrite. The environment is the wet part of the PNW, so it will be soaked for months, then it for summer months it will dry out completely and have no rain for months on end at times, and get sun all day long (elevated southern exposure).

1) what is a good, very long term UV and weather protection for the copper sheathing?

Likewise, after we paint the wood, is there a top-coating I can apply to provide weather, insect, etc. protection to avoid weathering and decay?

2) A good clear wood protection over the paint?

IMG-3764.JPG

Thanks!

Why do you want to protect Copper? Copper that has turned brown or (even better) green is so attractive.

I think people use copper because you don't have to protect it.

We have a copper top side table in our living room. We're letting it "age".

I have never seen anything that keeps copper shiny. Some preparations might keep it looking shiny longer but eventually it always turns green.

As for the wood, the protection you are asking for needs to go on first. Cuprinol or similar copper based wood preservatives are great for what you are looking for. Double check if you can paint over any preservative though.

Back