"Seal swellers" in HM oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Molakule, do you happen to know the typical %/wt composition of seal conditioners in conventional and synthetic compared to the high mileage versions of these oils? What about oils that contain higher levels of additives harmful to seals like ashless dispersants?

My experience with ashless dispersants is they help cleanliness, solvency, and seal conditioning as well.

As for the % i cannot release that info for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kehyler
Man, someone ought to buy a seal, stick it in a jug of HM, measure the thickness pre/post. Do the same with the non-HM, and forever close this debate.

You might get a little empirical evidence of the HM oils seal swelling efficacy, but do note it would be in the absence of circulation, thermal cycling and contaminate loading.

I can say with certainty that it does slow or stop leaks in some applications. It may take a complete oil change interval before it becomes noticeable. I had two vehicles where it made a real difference--a Honda Accord and Subaru Tribeca. They were using a quart every 2,000 and went down to negligible usage.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Molakule, do you happen to know the typical %/wt composition of seal conditioners in conventional and synthetic compared to the high mileage versions of these oils? What about oils that contain higher levels of additives harmful to seals like ashless dispersants?

My experience with ashless dispersants is they help cleanliness, solvency, and seal conditioning as well.

Really? I thought ADs were particularly harsh to seals and that was the reason they were often capped to reduce that issue.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Really? I thought ADs were particularly harsh to seals and that was the reason they were often capped to reduce that issue.

You can't go overboard with any one component in an additive package which is why they are called "balanced" formulations.

Some facts about dispersants: The amount of dispersant in automotive engine oils typically ranges between 3 and 7% by weight making it the highest percentage among additives. In addition, the dispersant is the highest molecular-weight component except for the viscosity index (VII) improver, which is higher in molecular-weight.

Last edited:
I wonder what happend to the manufactures guidelines here. A manufacturer says to "specifically" put in this grade oil and [censored] on everything you think you know about oil, these mothers have multi billion dollar labratories with unlimited resources of test engines and millions upon millions of miles of miles worth of abusive testing and yet you sit here and tell me i need a 5w30 in a 14 f150 that calls for 5w20. You say using high milage oil that specifically says on the websites that it "swells" seals and then turn around and say it "conditions" only. I think this lot of people have no [censored] clue what the [censored] they are talking about.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
I was starting to buy into your crap, but the more i read the more i understand noone here knows what the [censored] they are talking about. Bottom line, read your stupid car manual. [censored] on this group.

LOL then what are you doing here?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I was starting to buy into your crap, but the more i read the more i understand noone here knows what the [censored] they are talking about. Bottom line, read your stupid car manual. [censored] on this group.

LOL then what are you doing here?

GearHead's brother.

Actually there is a whole family of GearHead here. Unfortunately

Last edited:

Bye.

I wonder what happend to the manufactures guidelines here. A manufacturer says to "specifically" put in this grade oil and [censored] on everything you think you know about oil, these mothers have multi billion dollar labratories with unlimited resources of test engines and millions upon millions of miles of miles worth of abusive testing and yet you sit here and tell me i need a 5w30 in a 14 f150 that calls for 5w20. You say using high milage oil that specifically says on the websites that it "swells" seals and then turn around and say it "conditions" only. I think this lot of people have no [censored] clue what the [censored] they are talking about.

That's cute. CAFE requirements trump engineering for longevity with the finished product. They were able to show that 5w-20 would give a slight increase in fuel economy while protecting just enough to last through the warranty period. If you read the manual a little more carefully, you'll probably find that 5w-30 is also acceptable.

That's cute. CAFE requirements trump engineering for longevity with the finished product. They were able to show that 5w-20 would give a slight increase in fuel economy while protecting just enough to last through the warranty period. If you read the manual a little more carefully, you'll probably find that 5w-30 is also acceptable.

The protection provided is well past the warranty period. 30 grade is a resource conservation grade your statement is flawed.

I have read my manual front to back and it states in black and white ink "Use SAE 5W20". The 3.5 ecoboost is the only engine my manual says to use 5w30. Nowhere in the manual does it say i can run anything else.

Well...
I was looking for info on high mileage oil - mainly because last stop at WM they were out of Castrol Edge 5-30 but had High Mileage Edge 5-30 for the same price - so I bought that. I chuckled at the label graphic of an odometer at 75K. Our lowest mileage vehicle is the 1986 F250 with only 125K. One of the 9th gen. Corollas is around 345K, the other around 175K. One of the Jeep WJ's is over 260K, and I think the old P71 Crown Vic is around 245K. So I guess we're safe using "high mileage" oil.

Interestingly, the 2000 Crown Vic says 5-30 on the oil cap. But when I visited the dealership a few years ago, they said "use 5-20 in all the 4.6 engines."

Originally Posted by Lane
Well...
I was looking for info on high mileage oil - mainly because last stop at WM they were out of Castrol Edge 5-30 but had High Mileage Edge 5-30 for the same price - so I bought that. I chuckled at the label graphic of an odometer at 75K. Our lowest mileage vehicle is the 1986 F250 with only 125K. One of the 9th gen. Corollas is around 345K, the other around 175K. One of the Jeep WJ's is over 260K, and I think the old P71 Crown Vic is around 245K. So I guess we're safe using "high mileage" oil.

Interestingly, the 2000 Crown Vic says 5-30 on the oil cap. But when I visited the dealership a few years ago, they said "use 5-20 in all the 4.6 engines."

That's just ford being ford. They switched the 4.6 rec to 5w-20 in 2001 for fuel economy.

I run 5w-30 in my 4.6 mustang GT - no issues.

I think this lot of people have no [censored] clue what the [censored] they are talking about.

Many say this about the car manufacturers. Look at all the recalls and faulty engine parts/designs happening to this very day. Having a title doesn't make a person an expert.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Bye.

Now, now, sending him packing will do nothing to sooth whatever is grinding his gears, so to speak. I think he needs a hug. There are few ailments which a big ole hug cannot alleviate!!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Lane

Crown vic will run forever on whatever you put in it (30 or 20).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back