Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share. I went to advanced auto parts yesterday in Pensacola on Gulf Beach Highway to buy ATF and fuel system cleaner for my gf's car. So I go up to the counter with the Gumout Regane and was told that Seafoam is a better fuel system cleaner. I said I would use it if it contained PEA. They laughed and still insisted seafoam was better, so I directed them to this site for lubrication/additive education. Just thought I would share
wink.gif
. Anyone have any similar experiences?

P.S. If this is in the wrong forum please I apologize

I think Regane is a much better choice over Sea Foam. I used Sea Foam once and it didn't do squat. I always get very noticeable improvements from Regane, and Red Line SL-1 too.

I have only one time had a parts store guy question me about buying additives. I bought a quart of MMO at Autozone last year and the guy behind the counter asked me if I "liked the way that stuff works". I told him that yes, I have been using MMO for a long time, it does a good job and I said something about how MMO helps counteract the negative effects of ethanol in gasoline and improves my MPG. Then he changed gears and made a few comments about how bad ethanol is. Other than that I have never had anyone at a parts store question me about any additives I bought there. If one ever did question me like that, I would just say something like "well, I'll have to try (whatever product it is they are recommending so highly) some time soon". If they still wanted to pitch the product or try to argue with me about it I would just make an excuse to go back out to my truck, leave whatever it was I had planned on buying on their counter and go buy it some place else.

I know what products I like and I know what works well in my truck. There are too many other stores around here that all sell the same items to put up with the "parts store experts" who want to push you into buying one product or another or disparage a product that you want to buy. It's very unprofessional. I guess the store must get a perk or a bonus for selling x amount of one product or another in a given month, so they try to pimp it out any way they can.

I was told by a mechanic that Fuel Additives do nothing to clean or improve gas mileage. I don't care I still use Gumout High Mileage for my gas tank.

Advance Auto Parts is full of it. It's just like AutoZone when they try to push the sell of Lucas Fuel Treatment.

I have several friends as well as my own experience with Sea Foam.
Cleans gummy carbs, and fuel systems.
Noticeable improvement in running; I had to reset the idle down on the cycles after the first time I used SeaFoam.
Once a year a bottle goes in the tank.

From what i have seen the only ones that seem to work are Regane,Redline Sl1,Techron,Amsoil.There maybe a few others but Seafoam isn't one of them,pale oil just doesn't clean fuel system deposits very well.

It does make a very nice smoke show! Get the engine nice and hot, Seafoam it, let the engine ingest a nice slug of Seafoam to kill itself, then let sit for 15 minutes. Enough smoke/steam to turn a sunny day into a foggy one erupts from the tailpipe!

Gosh... a counterperson that is misinformed?

I usually clench my gut in preparation for their myths, walk in and do what I have to in a parts store while being polite and ignoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back