Screeching noise from Dodge Colt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 of the 1995 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Mirage), 1.5l 2 door coupe. When it is really cold out (less than 10 degree F), I hear a whirr, whirr, whirr, sound from around where the speedometer is, and then when it gets up to about 35 - 40 mph, then is starts making a screeching sound. If I shut off the engine and coast, it still makes the screeching. I have to stop, so the noise stops. As soon as it starts moving again, the same thing happens, so I carefully take it up to 30 or 35, and don't go any faster, and it just goes whir, whir, whir, with no screeching. Braking has no effect on the noise. This only happens with the Colt that has 130,000 miles on the clock. The other Colt has 185,000 miles on the clock and runs perfectly with no noises. I really like my Colt, so I hope someone has some idea. Thanks!!! Captain Klink.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
speedo cable

+1

BTW, I didn't think it go that cold in Afghanistan Scooby
wink.gif

The alternator belt was changed in the other Colt. It also made screeching sounds, when cold, if just starting up the vehicle, and speeding up would make it go away.
thanks!!! for the tips. I just placed my order for the speedo cable from Rockauto.com - Captain Klink.

Last edited:
I agree that it's either the speedo cable or a belt.
I think you can disconnect the cable and add a few drops of oil to quiet it down.
I owned a few of those 1.5 Colts and they won't win any 0-60 races but they are reliable and durable.
It's very easy to adjust the valves and change the t-belt/tensioner too.

Originally Posted By: Cause4Alarm
why is everyone talking about belts when this noise isn't related to ENGINE speed?

I concur. Speedometer cable. The OP mentioned the sound is present even if the engine is OFF.

On the Festiva/Aspire's I've lube the cables and speedo's 2 ways. One is with 3 and 1 oil and the other grease. Both seem to work the same. The inner cable can be pulled out and cleaned, not sure on yours. Typically what I do is while the inner cable is out put alot of 3 and 1 oil in there. I'll let it drain down a bit and replace in the inner cable. It's best to slide the inner cable in and out a few times to work the oil through-out. Work the oil in through the top which would be the end that's connected to the speedo. The speedo I place a few drops and leave it positioned so the oil will drain down. Not sure on the interval I do this every 2-3 years just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back