Scored some John deere oil.. Duramax tick is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

A friend of mine gave me a 5 gallon pail of this CJ-4 rated John Deere plus II 15w40 after his grandfather passed away (who was a farmer who used this oil). I have ran nothing but rotella since I owned my rig, and have been very happy with my UOA results, and didn't plan to spend the money on any more UOA's, or switch brands of oil...BUT I graciously accepted this 5 gallon gift, and over these last few days noticed that my "duramax tick" is gone! Obviously the tick with rotella didn't cause any excessive wear as my UOA's came back quite stellar..but it was rather annoying to me as I am very anal when it comes to my vehicles. So..I just wanted to pass along my experience with this duramax tick that some may be experiencing. I plan to do a UOA late next year..after an initial "flushing out" of the residual rotella left in the engine with the first oil drain. This 5 gallon pail will cover me for two oil changes! Take care all!
-Ponch

I've had nothing but stellar reports with the Deere oil, as I'm sure you will also.

Glad to hear your tick went missing.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Who makes it for John Deere?

Chevron or XOM depending on which oil and location. Mostly chevron iirc.

Yes..I heard the same about where it is made.. chevron or XOM. I wanted to add that I found alot of "stuff" at the bottom of the new 5 gallon JD pail..I had an old/clean 2.5 gallon jug of rotella to dump half of this new oil from 5 gal pail into to measure out exactly how much oil i needed (2.5 gallons equals 10 quarts) for my truck..and after dumping in new JD oil from rotella jug I then refilled my 2.5 jug again for the next oil change next year so I could use this old JD pail for used oil. I am thinking that this "stuff" that settled out is moly?? I never recall seeing additive separation before with my large jugs of rotella. I always shake up my oil jugs/pails before dumping into motor. Anyways..what ever it is...im not worried as I know this oil is a popular favorite in any diesel rig!

I've had the typewritter tick come and go intermittently. It's really only audible from outside the cab; cannot ever hear it inside. Perhaps mine is more subtle than most?

Regardless, free high-quality oil is always a good thing. Congrat's on your score, Ponch. Two free OCIs means that you should now have some money liberated for some UOAs!

I've always been of the opinion that I don't really care who makes the oil; it's a product that is blended to certain customer spec's (for the retailer). After being at the BITOG 10-year meeting and speaking with Jim and Phil, I'm now confident of that position. The add-pack is designed to achieve a set task, as defined by the customers and target market. Who blends the components really does not matter at all, as long as they are a quality driven organization. Third rate "also ran" companies that remix or otherwise trash their reputation will always be there, but all the big brand names are top-notch, and I see no real reason to pick one over the other save for cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I've had the typewritter tick come and go intermittently. It's really only audible from outside the cab; cannot ever hear it inside. Perhaps mine is more subtle than most?

Regardless, free high-quality oil is always a good thing. Congrat's on your score, Ponch. Two free OCIs means that you should now have some money liberated for some UOAs!

I've always been of the opinion that I don't really care who makes the oil; it's a product that is blended to certain customer spec's (for the retailer). After being at the BITOG 10-year meeting and speaking with Jim and Phil, I'm now confident of that position. The add-pack is designed to achieve a set task, as defined by the customers and target market. Who blends the components really does not matter at all, as long as they are a quality driven organization. Third rate "also ran" companies that remix or otherwise trash their reputation will always be there, but all the big brand names are top-notch, and I see no real reason to pick one over the other save for cost.

While in principle I agree with you, but in most cases there are exceptions, including this one.

From my own UOA's the 6.0 Powerstroke is an exception, its brutally hard on lube, and even though CJ-4 lube is, atleast in theory, supposed to be fairly equal across the board.

As proven on our own HDEO board there is wide variance in performance, as my own truck has shown.

The Deere lube is blended for extended OCI's, and that has to be what is letting it return the UOA's that it does.

I am well aware that other pick-up diesel engines without a high pressure oil system are much easier on oil and don't need a premium blended oil.
For that scenario any known brand CJ-4, as you stated, will work just fine.

Deere also offers another line of HDEO, they call it Torq Gard Supreme, and I have always compared it to any other off the shelf HDEO that one can pick up anywhere, but the Plus 50 is their top shelf offering.

In my 6.0 the Plus 50 is the only oil I have ever seen that will stay in grade throughout the entire factory recommended OCI(7,500mi.).

Your example would simply bolster my point.

The oil you like to use is manipulated for higher performance standards over other JD choices. It is made with a specific add-pack that meets a target market group as defined by Deere. Deere does not make the oil; they buy it at wholesale and sell it retail. They set performance critera, and the blender worked with a supplier who designed a lube package (base stock and add pack) that was likely to meet the criteria.

Allow me to quote myself:
"... it's a product that is blended to certain customer spec's (for the retailer)."

and this from me:
"Who blends the components really does not matter at all, as long as they are a quality driven organization."

Deere could go to a large choice of blenders; they typically use Mobil or Chevron. If they went to Castrol or Ashland, and spec'd the same performance and parameters, they get a very similar product with very similar results. The large oil companies like Chevron, XOM, Shell, etc work with drilling and refining while additive companies like Lubrizol design and create the add-pack. They often utilize talented and trained people who meld those two components (base stock blend and add-pack) to come up with a final product to take to market for the retailer.

My comment and your example are proof. It's not an exception; it's meeting the rule to a "T".

Not that I think you and I are that far apart; perhaps just different views from the same side of the aisle.

Would you care if Deere did not make that lube, but someone else did, and you still got the same results?

I stand by what I said; I don't care about who makes the oil. I care about the results. Your results are indicative of this as well. I suspect you'd go to whomever provided the kind of your performance you're accustomed to.

My neighbor has run dino Rotella 10w-30 a few times; here is one of his UOAs I put up for him:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1118516&page=1
He has run out to 7.5k miles and still stayed in grade with that lube. He does not UOA any more because he has made a logical choice; he just OCIs at 7.5k miles with a decent quality oil. He has no interest in extended OCIs. But he surely can get to 7.5k miles with about any decent lube. As you know, the thinner they start, the less they shear. His two UOAs and your UOAs prove this.

You've got great results with the JD Plus 50 lube; we certainly cannot deny that. But there are other success stories from other lubes in other 6.0L PSD rigs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Your example would simply bolster my point.

The oil you like to use is manipulated for higher performance standards over other JD choices. It is made with a specific add-pack that meets a target market group as defined by Deere. Deere does not make the oil; they buy it at wholesale and sell it retail. They set performance critera, and the blender worked with a supplier who designed a lube package (base stock and add pack) that was likely to meet the criteria.

Allow me to quote myself:
"... it's a product that is blended to certain customer spec's (for the retailer)."

and this from me:
"Who blends the components really does not matter at all, as long as they are a quality driven organization."

Deere could go to a large choice of blenders; they typically use Mobil or Chevron. If they went to Castrol or Ashland, and spec'd the same performance and parameters, they get a very similar product with very similar results. The large oil companies like Chevron, XOM, Shell, etc work with drilling and refining while additive companies like Lubrizol design and create the add-pack. They often utilize talented and trained people who meld those two components (base stock blend and add-pack) to come up with a final product to take to market for the retailer.

My comment and your example are proof. It's not an exception; it's meeting the rule to a "T".

Not that I think you and I are that far apart; perhaps just different views from the same side of the aisle.

Would you care if Deere did not make that lube, but someone else did, and you still got the same results?

I stand by what I said; I don't care about who makes the oil. I care about the results. Your results are indicative of this as well. I suspect you'd go to whomever provided the kind of your performance you're accustomed to.

My neighbor has run dino Rotella 10w-30 a few times; here is one of his UOAs I put up for him:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1118516&page=1
He has run out to 7.5k miles and still stayed in grade with that lube. He does not UOA any more because he has made a logical choice; he just OCIs at 7.5k miles with a decent quality oil. He has no interest in extended OCIs. But he surely can get to 7.5k miles with about any decent lube. As you know, the thinner they start, the less they shear. His two UOAs and your UOAs prove this.

You've got great results with the JD Plus 50 lube; we certainly cannot deny that. But there are other success stories from other lubes in other 6.0L PSD rigs.

I was actually trying to help make your point, albeit in a round about fashion. My fault for putting words into your post, nowhere did you mention that a CJ-4 lube is a CJ-4 lube, although you did post "all big names are top notch and theres no real reason to pick one over the other except for cost".

This is where I was relating to your post, Deere is targeting 500hrs. OCI in its own equipment with a bolstered add-pack, whereas, for instance, Shell is targeting a oil for the masses so to speak.

In my own experience the "oil for the masses" did not hold up in my 6.0. I, like your neighbor, am not interested in extended OCI's either, but I do want to be able to go to the factory interval.

I may not be comparing apples to apples here, what I used was the fancy 5w-40, I'm sure if the 10w-30 your neighbor uses in his truck works fine for him it more than likely work just fine for me also. The exception I was pointing out was the 6.0 itself as a "special needs case" where an off the shelf lube contributing to injector issues and many 6.0 owners spending big money on short OCI's and oil additives.

I think you know that I know that Deere doesn't have their own refinery somewhere making their own lube. I use it out of convienence, the local dealer is my "auto parts store", its competitively priced, and it works for my application.

And yes if someone else sold a comparable oil that was easily obtainable for me, competitively priced, and returned consistently good UOA's I wouldn't hesitate using it. For me I may be somewhat of an anomaly, when I find something that works I stay with it.

As susepcted, we're on the same page.
My appologies for the confusion; I read the wrong intent into your post.

Last edited:
Did some research, looks like it is mostly Chevron, also found this exert on JD's site concerning the 0w40 which looks like it could give M1 0w40 a run!

"Plus 50 II Synthetic Engine Oil (0W40)
Synthetic Plus-50 II Premium Engine Oil (SAE 0W-40) has been designed to provide advanced lubricant performance in modern engines to meet the requirements of EPA regulations. SAE 0W-40 Plus-50 II is a full synthetic PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) based oil to provide excellent performance.

Applications
Excellent for all diesel engines requiring 0W-40 viscosity and API Service Classification CJ-4, SM, and Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03. Superior performance for customers who operate in extremely cold conditions and want to maximize engine life and performance.
Features and Benefits
· Unique to John Deere – formulated with exclusive Plus-50 II additive and 100% PAO (polyalphaolefins) synthetic base oil
· Excellent for other brands of diesel engines
· Excellent for all automotive heavy- and light-duty diesel engines
· Synthetic base stock with the Plus-50 II additives provide excellent performance in a temperature range of -40°F to 122°F (-40°C to 50°C)

· Additive package reduces engine wear and provides superior protection against high-temperature thickening as compared to competitive oils – offers additional protection in neutralizing corrosive acids formed as by-products of combustion
· Formulated specifically to inhibit oxidation, deposit, corrosion, and wear with superior soot control
· Performance is equal to Plus-50 15W-40 in wear reduction and antioxidation tests
· Provides maximum sludge and varnish control
· Superior low-temperature fluidity reduces engine startup wear in cold weather
· Drain intervals may be extended up to 500 hours when used with John Deere oil filters in John Deere engines
· Reduces maintenance costs and downtime, and extends engine life

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Did some research, looks like it is mostly Chevron, also found this exert on JD's site concerning the 0w40 which looks like it could give M1 0w40 a run!

"Plus 50 II Synthetic Engine Oil (0W40)
Synthetic Plus-50 II Premium Engine Oil (SAE 0W-40) has been designed to provide advanced lubricant performance in modern engines to meet the requirements of EPA regulations. SAE 0W-40 Plus-50 II is a full synthetic PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) based oil to provide excellent performance.

Applications
Excellent for all diesel engines requiring 0W-40 viscosity and API Service Classification CJ-4, SM, and Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03. Superior performance for customers who operate in extremely cold conditions and want to maximize engine life and performance.
Features and Benefits
· Unique to John Deere – formulated with exclusive Plus-50 II additive and 100% PAO (polyalphaolefins) synthetic base oil
· Excellent for other brands of diesel engines
· Excellent for all automotive heavy- and light-duty diesel engines
· Synthetic base stock with the Plus-50 II additives provide excellent performance in a temperature range of -40°F to 122°F (-40°C to 50°C)

· Additive package reduces engine wear and provides superior protection against high-temperature thickening as compared to competitive oils – offers additional protection in neutralizing corrosive acids formed as by-products of combustion
· Formulated specifically to inhibit oxidation, deposit, corrosion, and wear with superior soot control
· Performance is equal to Plus-50 15W-40 in wear reduction and antioxidation tests
· Provides maximum sludge and varnish control
· Superior low-temperature fluidity reduces engine startup wear in cold weather
· Drain intervals may be extended up to 500 hours when used with John Deere oil filters in John Deere engines
· Reduces maintenance costs and downtime, and extends engine life

I have run the 0w-40 in my Crown Victoria, and the oil consumption was the lowest I have ever seen by far. Even 15w-40's had significantly more consumption.

can you tell me how your JD oil worked out in your Duramax. I have heard from two others that both the JD plus 50II and the mobil delvac 1 esp eliminated the ticking.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
No tick in my '07 LBZ running Delo 10w30...

When you got the Delo 10w-30, was it sitting on the shelf next to the hen's teeth?????
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back