Scooters....actually fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has had a previous gen Honda Valkryie, then a used Vespa scooter don't know the cc but he said it topped out @ 80mph, then sold that and got a pre-owned 2014 Triumph Bonneville. He sold the Bonnie after this summer and wants to get a Vespa again. Said he just likes them best.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I can hear birds and similar noises with any difficulty.

With a helmet on?
smile.gif

Well I purchased and brought home my new Honda Forza late yesterday! I ended up getting one without the ABS for an even lower price that I thought the dealer would go. It's a brand new 2015. In the U.S. apparently red is the only color available....and although I may have preferred a different color, it looks great. I ordered a taller Honda windscreen for it.

I picked it up in the back of my Ridgeline and gave it a quick ride after returning home. Talk about COMFORTABLE! Really smooth ride. It's just surprising how easy scooters are to ride. I enjoy the variable positions the long foot boards allow as well as not a second thought about shifts. Now I've ridden just about every size/type motorcycle out there....but from this point forward, it will only be scooters for me (can't believe I'm saying this). The Forza seems to have plenty of power for my needs, although we'll see in the future. I really enjoy the quietness of the ride as well. I can hear birds and similar noises with any difficulty. I like that...rather tired of the noise of a regular bike...especially V-Twins.

Anyway, I'l post some pics very soon.

Good luck with it.

I am a little surprised you would buy another bike/scooter, given you have seemed fairly adamant about vocalizing the dangers of riding.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I can hear birds and similar noises with any difficulty.

With a helmet on?
smile.gif

Sure. When wearing my DOT approved half-helmet. The ears are exposed between the straps when the ear/head warmer portion is removed while riding in warmer weather.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Well I purchased and brought home my new Honda Forza late yesterday! I ended up getting one without the ABS for an even lower price that I thought the dealer would go. It's a brand new 2015. In the U.S. apparently red is the only color available....and although I may have preferred a different color, it looks great. I ordered a taller Honda windscreen for it.

I picked it up in the back of my Ridgeline and gave it a quick ride after returning home. Talk about COMFORTABLE! Really smooth ride. It's just surprising how easy scooters are to ride. I enjoy the variable positions the long foot boards allow as well as not a second thought about shifts. Now I've ridden just about every size/type motorcycle out there....but from this point forward, it will only be scooters for me (can't believe I'm saying this). The Forza seems to have plenty of power for my needs, although we'll see in the future. I really enjoy the quietness of the ride as well. I can hear birds and similar noises with any difficulty. I like that...rather tired of the noise of a regular bike...especially V-Twins.

Anyway, I'l post some pics very soon.

Good luck with it.

I am a little surprised you would buy another bike/scooter, given you have seemed fairly adamant about vocalizing the dangers of riding.

Good memory.

Yes, I am still highly cautious about motorcycling and aware of the constant threat that auto drivers are. One of the other reasons (not mentioned by me) is that my scooter riding will be on roads that are traveled at typically moderate speeds. City neighborhoods....open farm roads....parks...and areas where scooters are common place. Mostly 35 to 45 mph roads as well. As for the occasional commutes to work? That will be my biggest concern. 80% of my drive are on some pretty safe roads. That last bit will be on the interstate however. That's really where I worry about the idiots. My Forza qualifies to ride in the far left, carpool lane though. That should help a lot with being more safe.

Nice choice with the Forza, andrewg, I've ridden one and they're a great little machine. I must say, given (what I percieved as) your anti-motorcycle comments a few months back, I'm surprised to see you on a bike! Best of luck with it all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Nice choice with the Forza, andrewg, I've ridden one and they're a great little machine. I must say, given (what I percieved as) your anti-motorcycle comments a few months back, I'm surprised to see you on a bike! Best of luck with it all
smile.gif

I apologize if I came off as anti-motorcycle. Mostly, I object to the often very loud and noisy V-Twins and such out there that people tend to rev and accentuate the loudness of. I had a couple of them myself...so I understand the desire to hear the rumble. As I've aged, I've realized that others don't often appreciate it.

My other comments about motorcycling were mostly about the safety aspects of riding them in congested areas.

Truth is, I try to eliminate things that have a high rate of injury. Scooters are basically a bit more safe (especially given where I will ride them and how I will ride them).

Yes, the Forza is awesome so far. The little 49cc Vino's are more for camping trips and some of the really tight little neighborhood streets in Seattle.

Last edited:
If you want a very fun and stable bike, take a look at the MP3 from Piaggio. We have one(also have 4 bikes 1100cc to 1800cc) and the MP3 is the funnest to ride, come up to a stop light and you don't have to put your feet down. Park on a steep side hill, no problem just lock the front end(no kickstand) lock the brake and walk away. If you want you can park one wheel on top of a tire stop in a parking lot with the other one flat on the ground, then walk away and look at all the people wondering how that is done. With two front tires on the ground you do feel much safer on the wet, sandy roads.

The MP3 is all we take when we road trip in our motorhome, like I sald before its a very fun and safe bike to ride(one more thing you don't need a motorcycle license to ride one) even though I have had a class 4 for 45 years now.
http://www.piaggio.com/mp3/en_EN/models/

ROD

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Check out the SYM line as well.

Very good quality vehicles. http://www.alliancepowersports.com/

I have a Wolf Classic 150 and it's been a great little bike so far (21,000Km)
http://www.alliancepowersports.com/models/wolf.html

Yes....I saw those. They do like like they are of good quality. I didn't (and still don't) know enough about them to have made them one of my scooter choices though. We'll see in the future.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
If you want a very fun and stable bike, take a look at the MP3 from Piaggio. We have one(also have 4 bikes 1100cc to 1800cc) and the MP3 is the funnest to ride, come up to a stop light and you don't have to put your feet down. Park on a steep side hill, no problem just lock the front end(no kickstand) lock the brake and walk away. If you want you can park one wheel on top of a tire stop in a parking lot with the other one flat on the ground, then walk away and look at all the people wondering how that is done. With two front tires on the ground you do feel much safer on the wet, sandy roads.

The MP3 is all we take when we road trip in our motorhome, like I sald before its a very fun and safe bike to ride(one more thing you don't need a motorcycle license to ride one) even though I have had a class 4 for 45 years now.
http://www.piaggio.com/mp3/en_EN/models/

ROD

You know, I've seen a few of those MP3 scoots in recent years. At first look they are odd looking as all get-out. But technologically I find them fascinating. I may have actually gotten one for my wife if the cost was a bit lower. Given all the parts and manufacturing process/materials, I can understand why they aren't cheap. I'd definitely like to try one.

....I may have actually gotten one for my wife if the cost was a bit lower....

andrewg,
Come on, your wife is worth the extra money. Go find a used one for sale and take it for a spin, you'll be sold on it.

My son got me to test one at a motorcycle show because he thought I'd be embarrased to ride it in my leathers. Well after about 30 seconds on it I knew I was getting one for my wife. She has over 30k miles on hers and it's what we put on the back of the motorhome when we travel.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds

....I may have actually gotten one for my wife if the cost was a bit lower....

andrewg,
Come on, your wife is worth the extra money. Go find a used one for sale and take it for a spin, you'll be sold on it.

My son got me to test one at a motorcycle show because he thought I'd be embarrased to ride it in my leathers. Well after about 30 seconds on it I knew I was getting one for my wife. She has over 30k miles on hers and it's what we put on the back of the motorhome when we travel.

ROD

Next time I'm in the city, I may just do that. I'd like to see how they feel on canted, off angle roads...cornering...pot-holes, etc.

When you take one out for a test ride, you'll know how stable they are. We bought two and sold one(long story) but don't discount the MP3 250. It's good to 80+ mph on the flat and in the turns is where it shines.
Here is a pic when we got home with both of our MP3's after a 300 mile ride.

If you noticed, its winter(dormant grass) and we rode in 35F+ weather and stated pretty warm. The coldest we rode in was 25F and even on my Goldwing my knees get cold when its that cold.

ROD

Hi. I live right across the road from my work . I walk every day. Have a decent job now have had bad vehicle with 4 wheels luck . So I just purchased a 48cc Chinese scooter to help me get around for errands ECT . Had to put it together . Luckily this guy I work with has unbelievable Chinese scooter knowledge . Thing runs great just now got it broke in . Using Amsoil 10w 40 scooter oil in engine . Amsoil gear oil in transmission . Almost 500 trouble free miles so far . I carry tools with me . The fun this thing has been has got me planning by springtime to have at least a 300 cc liquid cooled name brand scooter or possible a motorcycle . I'm dreaming of cruising the country side and doing some road trips come warmer weather . Been riding in 32 degree temps but I live close to most stores ECT . I have lots of warm clothes . After work at 1 am I usually pay Walmart a visit . Didn't realize going 40 mph ( on slight downgragdes ) was so fun . Can't wait untill I have a machine that's legit for most interstates of the USA .

Originally Posted by JoelB
You could also look at a Kymco downtown or a people GTI. Both have a 299cc engine hat makes more power than the honda and they weigh less. Kymco is a very respected brand out of Tiawan and even has a better warranty than honda (2 years i believe).

Yup. I have a People GTI, and love it. I third world the heck out of that thing. 38lb. box of cat litter in my footwell, groceries hanging off the sides, top case overflowing, whole thing. My favorite grocery getter. Very safe and stable while doing it too.

scooters fun? yep! had a good variety over the past 8 years with one model as a repeat purchase...'08 piaggio bv250, '09 aprilia scarabeo 100, '11 vespa lx150, '09 genuine rattler 110, '08 genuine buddy 125, '09 genuine stella 2t, '09 piaggio fly 50, '13 genuine buddy 125, and a different '13 genuine buddy 125; i was unsettled in my likes & dislikes but since settled down...lol!

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
scooters fun? yep! had a good variety over the past 8 years with one model as a repeat purchase...'08 piaggio bv250, '09 aprilia scarabeo 100, '11 vespa lx150, '09 genuine rattler 110, '08 genuine buddy 125, '09 genuine stella 2t, '09 piaggio fly 50, '13 genuine buddy 125, and a different '13 genuine buddy 125; i was unsettled in my likes & dislikes but since settled down...lol!

Just wondering what folks think of the old-school Vespa (or the Stella) - you know, with the manual four speed... rotating LH handlebar grip? I seem to have this strange affliction... of liking two strokes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back