Scoooooooooore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you ladies ain't gonna BELIEVE this one..

Ok, ok, so I go into Home Depot (third one I've scored from the last three days) with my girlfriend, her stupid Infinity I-30 with the whacky dipstick is sludgie dirty inside, so I figured the MaxLife on sale for a buck-fifty eight would be good, a flush for a couple thousand miles and then another OCI after that might help.

Lo and behold, there's Pennzoil Platinum, 5W30, 2.60/Qt clearance in SM. "All New Formula"! Real Deal! So, in true Bitog fashion, what the he11, I pulled every quart they had and even went to the other side of the isle and dumped out the furnace filters and insect sprayers in the way to get to the last eight quarts at the back of the oil shelf. Copped 10 quarts of the MaxLife for chick-a-dillie-doo, and 24 quarts of the Platinum, figured it was worth it, right? 2.60/Qt. Doesn't get any better! Yes it does!

So I get the cart loaded, my GF is looking at me like I'm outta my mind (except for HER oil, of course). We go up to the front, one line open, no one moving, their network is down. Manager comes up, starts writing down what's in the cart, 24 PP, 10 MaxLife. I figure he wants to tally it up, add 4.5% tax, and collect cash, right? WRONG! He walks up to the yellow tape at self checkout, raises the tape to clear the cart, and says, have a nice night, it's on the house!

YESSSSS!!!!!

Is life good, or WHAT? PP for free, PP for Free!!!!
cheers.gif

Oiy, Vey!
freak2.gif

So much for M1
shocked.gif

Yes, passed right on to you guys.. Well, he wrote down everything in the cart, I guess they called it spoilage or something..

Look, there's a downside, I got 24 bottles of PP in my trunk with no bag, no box, and didn't ask twice when he sent us on our way..

I'm hoping none tipped over or spilled last night..THAT would be a mess..One of the MaxLife bottles WAS drippy down the side when I put hers in the house..

Home Depot has lousy checkout? I just figure it's too expensive to hire register ringers anymore, ALL stores seem undermanned anymore..

I'm done shopping for oil for awhile, but if I were you guys, and the PP is a good oil for 2.60/qt., and the MaxLife SL is good for 1.58 (I take your all's words on it, I was prepared to buy all they had of PP for that), I'd be all over the Home Depots looking for it. Apparently they have both the new PP and the old Pennzoil Syn at different stores. Some places have the motor oils on a closeout shelf close to the exits, some have it back by Lawn and Garden, and another had it near electrical supplies, outlets, Romex.. Somewhere different inside every store.

the local HD had all their pennzoil stuff on deep sale... I wonder why?

They have the best prices for a variety of oils out of everyone (blows WM away). I havent typically bought oil from them, but I hope thyere not getting out of the oil business - with their prices, I dont mind dealing with their lousy service (still beats the lines at wal mart).

JMH

The two HDs near me had all their pennz on sale also. This must be national. Mine didn't have Maxlife but Pennz HM for $9 per 6pax. Regular Pennz $16 per 12pax. Pennz Syn $2.80/bt. Also had the Pennz Plat at $2.60/bt.

Forget the MaxLife, my bad...Those were bottles of High Mileage Pennzoil..

Wonder what's in it.. I suppose that's what I'll use on girlie-goo's car..

Hmmm, I can hit 2 Home Depots on the way home. I'll have the kids with me, as well! I can teach them the joys of motor oil shopping....

congrats on the score.

Two North California/Bay Area stores I visited had Penz platinum for 2.75 or so,Pennzoil for 1.38,Quaker State fer 1.19, and Penn High Mileage for 1.58. Good SOPUS bargains, but not really the oils my Passat 1.8 needs. Maybe the High mileage in a 10w-40?

Sigh...yeah, all mine had was the PZ HM 10W40 for $1.58. A bargain but not the deal of the century. val, I've been using 40 weight dinos for short changes in my saab.

I got 2 cases and some Pennzoil DOT 3/4 brake fluid....Hmmm, that puts me up to 162 qts of oil.

I've never seen motor oil in Home Depot. Probably a poor seller there and just hogging precious shelf space.
Good find!

I tell, ya, Dumms, they have it tucked away SOMEWHERE in there.. Sometimes it's on a closeout shelf near the entrance or exit, other stores it was near the lawn mower blades and supplies, and the place where I made the REAL score, PP for free, it was back by lawn and garden, hoses, rakes, like that.

It's a shame my score is all 10W30, my car specs 5W20 (my 2005 specs 10W30 if 5W20 isn't available, so I can use it, I guess), but for laughs, I did an OCI yesterday (I had 4K on 5W20 Havoline, but it didn't NEED to be changed, really) with the High Mileage Pennzoil in 10W30SL with an L14458 Purolator filter.

I can't tell the difference shaking the bottle in a slosh-test (we ALL do that, right?) between 5W20 and 10W30, and surely cannot tell ANY difference in performance, engine/valve-train noise, or any other indicator that I have a different vis from the 5W20 Havoline I just dropped out of the car.

I'll keep this in until September and then use my GC I got in Charlotte for the winter months. For my car though, 10W30 seems ok, unless there's an MPG ramification.

These are the best prices, guys, it might be the golden age of motor oil, this closeout, I'll be interested to see who gets a good find. The down network at my HD the other night was a fluke, but to get PP for $2.60 when AZ and AA are selling the stuff for nearly $6.00 and a bargain at WallyWorld for $3.99 is a pretty good score.

I'm going to assume the HighMileage Pennzoil SL is good for $1.58, but there are no VOA's, so who knows? My vehicle seems fine on it..
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back