SCIENCE FICTION BOOK

Some of the best Scientific Fiction we lived for real during the '20-21 years. If you mean sci-fi genre literature get anything by Issac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke or Michael Chrichton. If you 'grok' real sci-fi chew on a copy of 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. Some find Stephen King readable too.

• Love
Reactions: D60
I am not a sci-fi reader, but 2001 a Space Odyssey. Even if you have seen the movie, book is so much better.

Same goes for Dune, although I have not seen the new ones, only the original movie. Had read the book, still didn't understand the movie.

I really enjoyed many of the series from Jack Chalker. Had a hard time putting many down when I should be going to bed. https://www.goodreads.com/series/list/127191.Jack_L_Chalker.html , He passed 19 years ago but had space travel, different worlds, beings etc.

Same thing which has Sci-Fi, thriller was a couple James Rollins books. I picked up Crucible at airport before flight/vacation. Started a bit slow/odd but then again, just one more chapter, ok after next chapter I really need to go to bed. The first couple pages come with a warning which was intriguing. Sci-fi, AI, witchcraft, military. I followed that with The Last Odyssey from him and have others to get to.

"Lucifer's Hammer" by Purnell (I believe). It's a lauded book about planet Earth being hit by a meteorite.
It's a very "down to earth" book (ha-ha) and quite good.
It's gotta be a classic.
Larry Niven.
If you want humorous, try the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe series by Douglas Adams. I also really like the Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde.

Destiny's Road by Larry Niven is one of my favorites. You'll have to buy it as a paperback. It's the story of a young settler growing up on a fairly desolate desert planet that has been colonized by humans. It's sort of a western but it's not heavy on action.

I keep going back to early Robert Heinlein - some of my favourites are:

- The Past Through Tomorrow
- Podkayne of Mars
- Farnham's Freehold
- Starship Troopers
- Citizen of the Galaxy
- Have Spacesuit Will Travel
- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
- Double Star
and
- Time for the Stars

I like all of these better than his best-known Stranger in a Strange Land.

I don't read as much as others but have dedicated a little time in the last few years to enjoy a few books. I would recommend The Martian by Andy Weir. You may have seen the movie, the book is even better. I read the book after watching the movie and fully enjoyed how much more there was to the story. Project Hail Marry, also by Andy Weir, was also a good book.

I recently finished The Three Body Problem series of books (Cixin Liu) but wouldn't quite recommend that if you are just getting into Sci-Fi.

My coworker just handed me Ringworld by Larry Niven (a frequent author in several of the above posts). Seems good so far (I am only at chapter 3 but it keeps my interest). This is the first book from Larry that I am reading.

If looking for something other than outer space subjects, The Circle by Dave Eggers. Great book but the movie, eh..... not as good.
I am looking forward to borrowing The Every from our local library, which is the sequel to The Circle.

Last edited:
I am not a sci-fi reader, but 2001 a Space Odyssey. Even if you have seen the movie, book is so much better.

Same goes for Dune, although I have not seen the new ones, only the original movie. Had read the book, still didn't understand the movie.
I don't do well with much fiction even with the massive amount of books I have read. I lean hard on true stories and especially world history. But I love 2001 A Space Odyssey and the follow up 2010 The Year We Make Contact films. I been told many times I should read
those books. Plus a buddy who is into sci-fi big time keeps telling me I need to read Dune and then watch the movie version. I am going to try Dune soon since they keep streaming it here a lot lately.

I don't read as much as others but have dedicated a little time in the last few years to enjoy a few books. I would recommend The Martian by Andy Weir. You may have seen the movie, the book is even better. I read the book after watching the movie and fully enjoyed how much more there was to the story. Project Hail Marry, also by Andy Weir, was also a good book.

I recently finished The Three Body Problem series of books (Cixin Liu) but wouldn't quite recommend that if you are just getting into Sci-Fi.

My coworker just handed me Ringworld by Larry Niven (a frequent author in several of the above posts). Seems good so far (I am only at chapter 3 but it keeps my interest). This is the first book from Larry that I am reading.
My opinions only ...

The Martian was a good work of very plausible SF, but it bugged me that the protagonist had to use the F word almost constantly.

The Three Body Problem was brilliant. Very weird, and didn't make sense until late in the book when it all came together, but brilliant.

I finally read Ringworld and Dune just a few years ago, after hearing decades of hype. I found both of them a bit underwhelming.

Back