SCIENCE FICTION BOOK

Stephen King has some greats. I finished the Gunslinger series last year. That will keep you busy for a long time
I started reading the Dark Tower saga in the early '90s, almost ten years after the first volume had been released. from the time I started reading the series, it took another 14 years until the last volume was released. Notable King books that tie into the Dark Tower series are

Salem's Lot (horror, fantasy)
The Stand (dystopian horror, fantasy)
The Talisman (fantasy)
The Eyes of the Dargon (fantasy more aimed at older children)
Black House (crime, fantasy)

Last edited:
My opinions only ...

The Martian was a good work of very plausible SF, but it bugged me that the protagonist had to use the F word almost constantly.

The Three Body Problem was brilliant. Very weird, and didn't make sense until late in the book when it all came together, but brilliant.

I finally read Ringworld and Dune just a few years ago, after hearing decades of hype. I found both of them a bit underwhelming.
Of the books in the Three Body Problem, I found the first very interesting, the second was harder to keep reading as the story didn't move along as fast (still good though), and the third was fantastic as it really tied everything together. I couldn't have guessed the ending but the third book really moved the story along and introduced the incredible concepts that you didn't know were waiting for you in the story. There is a fourth book, The Redemption of Time, I am not sure I will venture into this one. I am interested in his Ball Lightning.

If looking for short stories, I have only had the chance to read one of these sets but the MIT Technology Review, 2013 Twelve Tomorrows had some great short stories in it!

It's actually a true story and scarier than fiction. Great read IMO.

1718733849601.jpg

These suggestions bring back memories :)

One memory I couldn't pinpoint was a short story about a group of astronomers on a planet with dual suns. Every few thousand years their civilization would start from scratch when they would have a total solar eclipse and people would go crazy and destroy everything. The astronomers were prepared for the masses to destroy everything around them but were determined to keep sane. But they also went nuts when the eclipse happened.

Can't remember the title or the author.

I’ve really enjoyed some of A. E. Van Vogt’s books. The writing is not always high quality but there are some interesting stories. “The Slan” is a classic and another I recall liking is “The Weapon Shops of Isher”

Back