School Closing Because of Predicted Weather?

We had that once, but the district does have a number of dirt roads that can get icy when that happens. Still strange to me though, I sure remember getting way less snow days as a kid.

They have tried blizzard bags (lessons in a bag, pre-done at start of the year) to try not to have too many make up days at the end of the year.
districts around here used to do blizzard bags, before the pandemic... around that time most had gotten chromebooks for all their students, so they now just have a "remote learning day"

Seems like Iowa is getting pounded tonight…..looks like a rough weekend too.

They have said that tornado alley was going to be much busier this year, and seem to be right so far.

Hope everyone stays safe!

1714189547828.jpg

Generation S for soft.

The kids aren't making these decisions, it's the superintendents. No school due to weather also means the rest of the staff do not have to come in as well, so this affects more than just the students.

Last edited:
contrary to being safe looking out for bad weather conditions you must be alert and observe and not take unneeded chances,often times the weather warnings,watches windup being a farce or crying wolf,,use your own judgement

Pretty much wiped out Minden, Iowa

This looks exactly like the City of Mayfield, Kentucky which was destroyed two years ago. My sister lives there. They have just now started to rebuild the downtown area. I grew up on the Florida West Coast and I've seen my share of destruction from tornadoes and hurricanes but I had never seen the type of devastation I saw when I went to see my sister shortly after the Mayfield storm.

Sometimes S is for soft, sometimes it's for Smart, and sometimes Stupid.

Serious weather can kill you in certain places and times. Many people have not experienced this yet in their lives, but I can assure someone who hasn't that it is indeed "a thing".

An impending blizzard dropping several feet with 100MPH winds is nothing to play around with, or a known tornado alley.

I remember school being closed in Chicago due to cold. 50 below that was100 below with wind chill.

Floods in the canyons is fun too.

That EF-5 tornado in Moore OK in 2013 killed 7 young elementary school children…

That tornado hit a little after 3 pm… Mpst of the children had been sent out of the school. Though a number of them were still there.

As bad a 7 children dying… Let’s imagine that hitting a school that was full of children… Or high school students….

Cowering in a hallway… Many of them would die. Guaranteed.. Look what the 2011 Joplin Tornado did… Flat leveled schools..

Death toll there could be 100s dead. And that ain’t no exaggeration. . In a school with 1,000 to 2,000 students and a direct hit from a EF-4 or EF-5… In Oklahoma City or Moore… Or Kansas City, Dallas, St Louis etc etc…

It’s a matter of time before this happens.

Last edited:
Fun fact to add…

99 percent of tornado deaths are in EF-3 and higher tornadoes…

The weaker ones seldom kill people all that often. Can happen but very, very unlikely.

By the way in April 2011 we had a EF-3 tornado hit our middle school in Gloucester county on a Saturday afternoon. Thank goodness … And yes.. It flattened the old C hall section of that school. Where I had Spanish class, Government class, and a Drafting class and Home Ec. That video was all over the national news the next day.

One thing to consider is that weather prediction is a good bit more accurate today than it was when many of us were young.
I know that everyone likes to think that the forecast is a crap shoot at best, but that isn't really the case these days.
If severe storms with tornado development possible are forecast, send them home or keep them there.

Yes and no to that…

Yes.. Vast improvement on overall large synoptic pattern prediction 2-3 days ahead? Absolutely way way better.

Yes to 1 day before prediction of overall pattern ? Yes absolutely vastly improved.

Yes to earlier identification of violent tornadoes early in with the advent of wind direction radar which can easily show a strong circulation with in bound and out bound winds observed from the radar site. And the interpol radar gives a distinct signature of debris being lifted high into the atmosphere too.

No … To being able to predict which exact storm or storms will develop into dangerous EF-3 or stronger tornadoes.. To be fair this is incredibly difficult to do and many factors go into creating a monster tornado and.. It maintaining high intensity for a long track on the ground.

The goose that lays the proverbial golden egg will be when forecasters are able to identify very early on when a storm has the right localized conditions to create a long track violent tornado. Where it can maintain a perfect balance between the cold air rear flank down draft on the storm’s north and west side and the warm in flow air from the storms south and southeast.. That’s what creates a violent tornado and IF maintained proper balance leads to long track violent tornadoes.

And that type of research is what Tim Samaris and his guys RIP were trying to study and figure out. Along with the Vortex crews as well.

Last edited:
I remember as a kid with bad snow looking out the front bay window listening to the AM radio waiting for the school announcement list of school clousers. It went alphabetical if you missed your school you had to wait for them to announce the list all over again.

Reactions: wlk
A coworker’s spouse is a school Superintendent in a school district with wealthy kids. Lots of lawyers for parents who aren’t afraid to sue should a “poor” decision (meaning one they disagree with) be made and a kid get put in danger. Better safe than sorry.

Back