scheaffers or AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The needs of the many, outway the needs of the few.
Thank you Terry for your thoughts and I respect them as well. It is not a perfect system and all systems are not.

AMSOIL does only go one level and with the different programs, "Retail on the Shelf"
"Commercial/Fleet Accounts" "Preferred Customer" and "Dealer" programs it is very versatile.
We have a great # of Retail Accounts and many consumers purchase AMSOIL at these business's.
The Commercial/Fleet program has many large companies/municipalities purchasing AMSOIL at very low prices.
For those in areas where there is no AMSOIL, The Preferred Customer program also works great. As for the Dealer Program, yes there are some individuals that can make wild claims and are not professional in their business practices. I made LOTS of mistakes and have learned by them.

If you look at other businesses such a General Motors, they have a product manufactered, trucked out to dealers,sold by salesmen etc. May not be MLM but it sure goes through a lot of hands.

In the end I'm happy to be doing what I do and am pretty sure my customers are just as happy dealing with me MLM or not.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Don, I respect your opinion and happiness with the Amsoil business. I respect that. My Brother is still a Amsoil dealer, if his wife was not struggling with cancer he would more engaged in it.

However as a former Amsoil dealer and user of the the OAI lab for ONE of our sources of analysis data and my position as a businessman, I still gauge the MLM system as less than optimum. Just my opinion.

The lube products are excellent!
Terry

Terry, look at ANY organization out there. They are ALL Multi Level. Your last sentence summed it all up. "The lube products are excellent" I might add "all Ams/Oil products are excellent"

Problem with AMS/Oil marketing is that the dealer is the primary customer whether they know it or not. That margin is small and less than equitable for time and effort involved.

Just not a good business deal for the work involved. Thats the difference between Amsoil and other forms of renumeration.

Thought I would add that respectfully.

Terry it is Amsoil. No slash. Thanks.

Yes many dealers are customers, and yes the margins are small compared to the huge take for middlemen in normal chained sales. I think Al would do better to take a little less and allow the dealers wider margin, but he's sitting on a good thing that just keeps growing.

Pablo: No disrespect, but it was TDI's RULE that typed in Ams/Oil. I believe Terry was just putting it back to him as a pun. As you can see from Terry's post, he knows it's Amsoil.

And, everyone is correct, both of these are excellent products.

Carry on
cheers.gif

Pennzoil and Amsoil, hey did you know that Amsoil lost a law suit with Pennzoil years ago when they initially spelled it AMZOIL. I like it and think Pennzoil hammered them for no good reason.

Heck AMATUZIO has a "Z" in it and I respect his tenacity in the face of the onslaught of big oil companies attacks.

I still don't like the marketing system. Just an opinion. It is a fine motor oil.

YOU MAY WONDER JUST WHERE the name AMSOIL came from. At a recent AMSOIL Direct Jobber conference AMSOIL's CEO related the history of the AMSOIL name.

He called his new oil AMMO'S OIL. "Ammo" was Al's nickname in the Air Force. Shortly after that a few of his marketing friends convinced him to change it to AMZOIL. Soon thereafter, Pennzoil took him to court over the "zoil". During the lengthy and expensive court battle Al changed the name to AMSOIL, just in case he lost. When it was finally over Al Amatuzio had won the lawsuit and the right to call his oil AMZOIL. But, during the course of the court proceedings AMSOIL had already become widely recognized with the "S" instead of the "Z" so he decided to leave it as AMSOIL.

Of course, just when he thought everything was resolved Pennzoil started harassing him again with new legal proceedings. At that point he got his attorney's together and told Pennzoil that if they didn't quit messing with him he was going to put the "Z" back in the AMSOIL name. That ended it and he hasn't heard from Pennzoil since.

Al Amatuzio is an incredible man and if you ever have the opportunity to meet him you will see exactly what I mean. He was inducted into the Lubricants Hall of Fame and is well respected by people in the lubricants industry, even by his competitors. His new oil, introduced to the world in 1972 set all new standards for motor oil quality. AMSOIL synthetic motor oil outperformed conventional motor oil on all counts.

Both oils are great. These synthetic oils are going to make a sound engine go longer than the body will hold together (maybe even in California).
grin.gif

I'd like to recommend Amsoil - their customer support knows what they are talking about. They are also extremely nice (rare these days)...

I haven't had any experience with Schaeffers but I definitely prefer a family owned business over a big one anyday.

In this scenario I would prefer to look at cost vs. value. In my mind there is no advantage to either of these oils performance wise--both are capable of wear reduction, long drains, cleanliness, etc. It basically boils down to how much money you want to spend, and how well you sleep at night with each oil in your crankcase.

For some it may also boil down to a perceived OEM warranty concern.

My choice is Schaeffer's, although I have used Amsoil in the past in some applications as well, with no complaints whatsoever. I have had outstanding luck with Schaeffer's wide lineup of products that fit into my farming operation, and happen to live near a dealer so product pickup is a plus if I need something in a pinch. You really won't go wrong either way.

I'd use Rotella T 5w40 syn. Same performance you can get it at Wally World or most truck stops and I believe it costs less.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Amsoil makes excellent motor oils, MTF, ATF & gear oils, etc..

Why don't they want to sell their products in large retail auto parts stores to increase $$ales ??
dunno.gif

Asked myself the same thing for year
smile.gif

I "think" they do not need to go that route. Maybe there EBT is not worth there time nor is the 6 to 9 per qt worth it???? I do not know.

Amsoil makes excellent motor oils, MTF, ATF & gear oils, etc..

Why don't they want to sell their products in large retail auto parts stores to increase $$ales ??
dunno.gif

Use them both!! Switch brands each time and see what you like.

They both are Top Shelf products.

(I currently use Schaeffer 9000 5W-40)

I am using schaeffers right now.. the 204SAT tranny fld made a big diff. in Dodge 48RE auto trans..

** question - what the "general" drain life for shaeffers 7000. I live in South Texas and don't do much heavey towing!

The Amsoil 15w-40 synthetic blend, "PCO" is a 12 TBN, API licensed product. It uses an additive chemistry that's very similar to their 15w-40 Marine oil.I think that PCO is very comparable to the Schaeffers S7000, 15w-40. It's capable of 60k-80k drains in OTR trucks....

I'd check and see how prices compare, taking into account the Amsoil Preferred Customer option.

TS

Ok

Just for the heck of it.. as posted I am using shaeffers 15 - 40 syn blend.. as for keeping my engine cleaner/etc - would the S9000 5 - 40 be a better choice..

one note is that it is a little pain in the rear to have to order the stuff.. but then you have it for several years when the order gets here.. the other is the 5 gallon pals of the gear lube.. I am just goin to go get AMSOIL or other for the front 4x4 gear box because its right around the corner.. (somewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back