Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a few searches and after reading a previous post about mixing, I wanted to know if Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 blend would be a good thing to use. I use Mobil1 10w-30 right now, but my car likes to snack on it. In other words, my car consumes mobil1 unlike any other oil I've used. I've used Valvoline synPower and MaxLife, and it never would require adding oil between changes, but with Mobil1 I have to add about 1 qrt every 2k miles. I only use Mobil1 because I drive my car pretty hard sometimes and it has a redline of 8100 rpm. Also, I hear that Mobil 1 is pretty much the only true synthetic that is OTC at most auto parts stores. Honestly, I'd rather use dino oil, but I think I would be hurting the engine by doing so. I'm not sure if it is worth the $$ for mobil 1 if I have to add oil between changes.
dunno.gif
Does Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 blend offer a good amount of protection for an Acura Integra GSR with 108k miles on it? If so, where can I purchase some? If anyone has other suggestions please let me know! Thanks

I am sure scheaffers is a very good oil and will work fine in your car, but I want to answer soemthing else.

I think the explanation for the 2 Valvoline Products using less oil than the MOBIL 1, is that when it comes to viscosity MOBIL1 tends to run the thinner side of the accepted viscosities range for a given weight oil.

In other words, a MOBIL1 30 weight often is more like a 27weight (if there was sucha thing).
Where as a Maxlife for example tends to run a bit thicker than center mass for a API viscosity standard.
For example a MaxLife 10w-30 is more like a 10w-34 ( again if there was such a grade).

I hope the above explanation makes sense.

Fred...
smile.gif

Good Evening HondaRD

I have just switched to Schaeffer's 7000 15w-40 in my wifes 97 Saturn. Her car was a quart every 3k oil drinker with regular Penn 10w-30 and then slowed to maybe a quart and a half every 6k on Mobil 1.

So far I've got 2.5k on the Schaeffer's 7000 15w-40 and consumption is 12 oz. Just topped it up this evening.

I not saying 15w-40 is right for you. I'm just saying the Schaeffer's 15w-40 cut my consumption a great deal. Is it the heavier weight or is it the Schaeffer's?????

HondaRD,

Mobil 1 15w50 is designed for high performance cars, see their claim below:

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM 15W-50 is especially suitable for high-performance cars, particularly hot-running or heavily loaded vehicles and special high-tech imports.

You might want to try a heavier weight as the others have suggested.

HondaRD,

You asked about engine protection. Our API-SL oil spec is a floor. Oils can't be below this in protection level, but they can be above. In the U.S., we have no way of measuring superior protection. The Europeans do have measures for superior oils. http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf For gasoline engines, ACEA A1-02 (also just called A1) is the minimum, and much like our API-SL. The superior grade is A5-02, and A3-02 is the best (yup, A3 beats A5).

Look on any oil you buy. ACEA A5 oils will offer excellent engine protection. ACEA A3 oils will be even better.

Schaeffer's #701 5W-30 and #703 10W-30 are both rated API-SL and ACEA A3-02.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/701.htm
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/703.htm

Ken

HondaRD, my experience with oil in my Civic was just the opposite of yours. Mobil 1 was fine out to 6,500 miles (never burned any) but Valvoline Synpower's level began to drop at 4,000 miles. Are you using the Tri-Syn or SuperSyn?
confused.gif

I'm trying Schaeffer Supreme 7000 right now ... but my car has other, unrelated "issues" and I'm not sure if the test results are going to be especially helpful. But, I think this stuff is pretty good as long as you don't extend the interval too long. I went just over 4,000 miles.

The trick is buying it right so you get free shipping. That means an order of $250 or more unless you have a local dealer. The oil is about $3 a quart.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
The superior grade is A5-02, and A3-02 is the best (yup, A3 beats A5).

Look on any oil you buy. ACEA A5 oils will offer excellent engine protection. ACEA A3 oils will be even better.

This is somewhat misleading. The only place where the A3 sequences is more stringent than the A5 is HT/HS. The European car makers specifically asked for lower HT/HS numbers for the A5 sequence so lower viscosity oils could be used to meet the improved fuel economy requirements of the A5 classification. That's why you'll see lots of 0w30 and 5w30 A5 oils, and mostly 0w40 and 5w40 A3 oils.

The only time an A3 oil will provide superior protection to an A5 oil is in instances where a HT/HS viscosity of >3.5 would be beneficial.

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
I am sure scheaffers is a very good oil and will work fine in your car, but I want to answer soemthing else.

I think the explanation for the 2 Valvoline Products using less oil than the MOBIL 1, is that when it comes to viscosity MOBIL1 tends to run the thinner side of the accepted viscosities range for a given weight oil.

In other words, a MOBIL1 30 weight often is more like a 27weight (if there was sucha thing).
Where as a Maxlife for example tends to run a bit thicker than center mass for a API viscosity standard.
For example a MaxLife 10w-30 is more like a 10w-34 ( again if there was such a grade).

I hope the above explanation makes sense.

Fred...
smile.gif

Yep, Fred is right. Even though both are 10w30 oils, technically the Maxlife is thicker. My last two Maxlife oil analysis' came back showing it had a viscosity of 11.4 to 11.5cst at 100c. Mobil 1 10w30 is closer to the 9.8 to 10.0 range. In order to be labeled as an xw30 oil, the viscosity must be between 9.3 to 12.5 cst. So M1 is at the low end, while Maxlife is in the middle.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

snip

The only time an A3 oil will provide superior protection to an A5 oil is in instances where a HT/HS viscosity of >3.5 would be beneficial.

Like when your engine is running.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back