Schaeffer's ATF questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking through its product sheet on the schaeffer website and this ATF meets a TON of specs. They are essentially selling it as a one-size-fits-all ATF. I know Schaeffer's products are 2nd to none, but I'm not really familiar with ATF specs.

Is it possible for the ATF to meet all these different specs? Are the specs just different levels of stringent in the same requirements? Or is it possible that to meet one spec, a fluid can't meet another spec? For example, do some specs require a minimum viscosity while others require a maximum viscosity that is mutually exclusive?

I was contemplating using this fluid in a Mazda M-V (or Mazda5) spec'd ATX and a MerconV spec'd ATX.

I think it will be fine.

Amsoil meets a lot of specs as well, and I haven't heard anyone complain of Amsoil or Schaeffer's.

I just got a great deal on a case of Schaeffer's and my Mark VIII is shifting great, which is back spec'd for Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
They are using a multi-vehicle additive package, possibly from Lubrizol. More info here:

http://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdditives/AutomaticTransmissionFluidAdditives/default.html

Click on the "Product Spotlights" on the right hand side. Examples of the multi-vehicle additive packs are Lubrizol 9680 and 9684.

After reading that, it does sound like Multi-Vehicle ATFs are not optimal for all situations. Guess I'll stick with the OEM.

Thanks.

Quote:
Is it possible for the ATF to meet all these different specs? ... is it possible that to meet one spec, a fluid can't meet another spec? For example, do some specs require a minimum viscosity while others require a maximum viscosity that is mutually exclusive?

Exactly. Many of the specs are mutually exclusive. That does not mean that the fluid will not do an excellent job in all the transmissions listed. I trust Schaeffer and many of the other blenders of the near-universal fluids, and would follow their recommendations for use.

anyone have a spec on what M-V actually is and what makes it different? The only thing I've read is a TSB saying (literally) M-V is thicker when cold than MerconV and could cause problems, that's not exactly scientific.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
anyone have a spec on what M-V actually is and what makes it different? The only thing I've read is a TSB saying (literally) M-V is thicker when cold than MerconV and could cause problems, that's not exactly scientific.

If you are talking about the Mazda spec, I'm not sure. But it is different enough that Ford makes a completely different fluid for it (Motorcraft FNR5 ATF) and their MerconV says specifically not to use in the FNR5 ATX which requires the Mazda M-V fluid.

Schaeffers ALL-Tran meets Mercon V specs and has a license number from Ford. What more could one ask for? I use it in my 2002 Ford Explorer.

See here. Mercon V license number is M000807.

Just to clarify for the OP: these universal fluids do not meet all these specs. They are simply recommended by the fluid mfr. for various applications.

There are many spec's that can be met by one fluid. This is because the OE specs for many ATFs are pathetically lame to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back