Schaeffer's #132 Moly Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Well here is what happened when I took a non moly Phillips HD 15/40 and added two ounces of the # 132 per quart .
The oils VI started at 15.6 @ 212 F--- after treat the VI was 18.53 and Moly in PPM was 35.

Schaeffers Lab did the testing.

Hmmm, interesting. Schaeffer's recommends 16 oz. (1 bottle) to 4-5 quarts of oil. By my figgerin, that would produce approximately 56 ppm when added to 5 qts. and 70 ppm when added to 4 qts.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

BTW, need a job in the chemlab?
cool.gif

Molakule, Thanks for the job offer. Can I do it by remote control from the boat while sailing the Caribbean?
cool.gif

Well here is what happened when I took a non moly Phillips HD 15/40 and added two ounces of the # 132 per quart .
The oils VI started at 15.6 @ 212 F--- after treat the VI was 18.53 and Moly in PPM was 35.

Schaeffers Lab did the testing.

What, I don't get invited??
grin.gif

Hey, a fishing pole in one hand and a laptop on the lap, and a cool drink in the other hand.
cool.gif

Dave,

Thanks for update. Have fun in St. Louis, great town - spent 25 years there.
wink.gif

There may be some large variability due to metering at the blending station.
shocked.gif

hmm, if this comes back good I think I may add a pint to my shell rotella 5w40 in my saturn. That seems to be the only thing rotella is missing.

--Matt

Well guys, I talked to Larry and he stood by his comments. After explaining to him our findings so far, he didn't have an answer to why.

So since we now know what he said it is suppose to be, I then went to karen in the lab and asked her findings. She tested it but felt it couldn't be correct so she sent the sample to our alternative lab for verification. Now, what does this mean? I don't know yet.. just that so far, the question has not been answered as of yet.. still waiting to see.

BTW, comment about all shell needs is the 132, are you really sure about that?

as far as the additive package in the rotella, there is no moly in it. Just assuming it would do only good.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by David:
Tell you what, I going to send in a virgin sample of 132 tomorrow and see for myself what happens. Because I want to get the FACTS also on the moly content. Will post my report as soon as it comes back.
David

What was the final conclusion concerning the amount of moly in 132?

quote:

Originally posted by David:
Tell you what, I going to send in a virgin sample of 132 tomorrow and see for myself what happens. Because I want to get the FACTS also on the moly content. Will post my report as soon as it comes back.
David

What were the final findings?

Good question.

In my view each bottle should have 500 ppm of moly in it. Today, it has about 1/20th of that amount.

I think the reason for the lower amounts of moly is two fold..

1- They don't want to make an additive that will make any old oil as good as theirs...

2- To make an additive work, you do not want to over additise the oil with heavy amounts of additives which can have additive clashes, such as too much barrier additive could cause the oil to lose it's ability to maintain tbn due to detergents having to fight it's way against the barrier additives to work, so by only providing a min amount this will help from imbalancing an existing oil formulation. JMO on why they may not make it heavier than they do.

I think the problem was that Ludwig said it should have contained 150 ppm of moly when in reality it contained 24 ppm of moly. And no one in the lab seemed to know why there was a discrepency.

With 60 ppm of Antimony Dithiocarbamates and the great penetro additives, I still think it is a great product and an excellent value.

[ April 01, 2003, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back