Scanner Recommendations

Greetings Oilmen,

Any recommendations for a scanner that will read live data? $1k is way over my limit. Just added a 2024 Mitsubishi Mirage to the stable and am thinking about a possible Subaru in the next couple years. I think Subaru might have some proprietary software but not sure. Have a $30 PocketScan code reader now but would like to be able to get a little more information. Have a bit of a low speed miss in the 2006 Aveo with 260K miles. No codes. Replaced plugs, wires and coil with great success but still not perfect.

Thanks.
Nibbana

Autel. is likely a good choice if you want bi-directional communication with activation of some functions.

I like my OBDLINK MX+ ($99 on sale) its pretty top tier for a more basic device
but you cant for example cycle an abs pump etc.
next level after that gets pretty steep $$$
if 449$ is in your budget maybe this autel or a similar model.

If you want a good stand alone scanner, Autel.
They have models that run the range in price, and features.
Also the scanner will work beyond the 1 year free updates, it just won't be current.
From what I understand some brands will cease to operate, if they aren't updated.

Innova 3160RS, 3170RS, 5160, 5510, 5512, 5610, and 7100P will do live data and transmission temperature, the latter being required to change the fluid on a Subaru or Mitsubishi CVT.

Autel 808 pro. I have done throttle learn on 012 Impala along with major repairs and nightmare check engine lights. 15 Nissan Versa, Infiniti Q60, 07 Saturn and last but not least 18 Caravan today that battery bit the dust. In case you don't know some batteries need programming after replacement and this scanner does it. On my Caravan after battery bit the dust seemed like everything malfunctioned causing codes but no light. I knew there was a problem when radio wouldn't receive channels very clear. Cleared all codes including ABS and air bag. Highly recommend. You can update the VCI to work on collision codes of 24 year model for additional 100 if I am not mistaken.

Shop them all now and pick a few choices. Amazon Prime Day is Jul 16 and 17 and several dropped quite a bit during the last year’s sale.
They were discounted in early May for a couple of days, some with price mistakes. Since then they’ve been up in price, even though they look discounted.

i’ve been using this one paired with my 12.9” ipad pro. bi-directional control is amazing. not much you can’t do with it. no extras fees after the fact either. this has become my sole scan tool and i maintain close to 100 vehicles as well as own and drive old junk.

This HyperTough HT500 Bluetooth scan tool has done very well for the price of $49.98 at Walmart , I think it's an INNOVA in disguise . Pictures of it in use . Keep us up to date with decision and how you like your scan tool .

Back