Save the manuals?

Just to say that I am in favor of saving the manual transmission vehicles for my brothers & sisters who love their manual tranny vehicles.
I even learned(50 yrs ago) how to drive on manual tranny cars & trucks. From just learning the feel of the vehicle, to my learners permit/driving test and into my drivers license. I have even owned manual tranny vehicles('72 PowerWagon, '74 Camaro, '79 Firebird). And have driven even more manuals of friends & family, domestic & import...4 on the floor and 3 on the tree. :D And of course, many vehicles right up to today

Although I don't want to own a manual tranny vehicle today, as I do like just getting into a vehicle, starting the engine and putting the gear selector into "D" and driving off, I am in favor of "Saving the Manuals" for our brother's & sister's in the automotive world.

What say you?

CB

I drove manuals most of my life. The last 20 years most of my cars were all manuals. I enjoy it but I'm over it. I'll take a good AT with paddle shifters over a manual now. It also depends on the transmission as some AT's and manuals are better than others.

I also live in the most densely populated state in the country. :LOL:

When I started driving back in the mid-70's....a stick shift car got much better MPG than the exact same car with an A/T.
Today the A/T cars are getting better MPG than the exact same car with an M/T.....technology at work.

I enjoy driving my M/T Focus except when I'm in traffic....or when I'm trying to drink my coffee....

I love MT cars, my daily driver just happens to be an AT, although I also own a vehicle with a MT. I can certainly understand why people don't buy manual transmissions. It doesn't help that we have literally the worst automotive infrastructure, and some people just can't physically drive a manual. At 30 years old and in decent physical shape a few hours sitting in traffic with a manual to me would just be annoying, but to someone who is 50+ it might just be unbearable.

I’m probably one of the very few in my generation that can drive one. I do know a few people that can drive one most are car people though I think it’s becoming a lost art these days.

If I was to have to get a new truck, I’d strongly consider a Tacoma or Frontier. I could be wrong, but I think the manual in the Frontier is done and I’m sure the Tacoma is right behind so I’d likely have to buy used.

Are there any other manual trucks being made?

Learned on manual cars, and have always bought manual cars. Alas, time takes its toll - the older I get, the less I insist on a manual trans. I still own one MT car, but its days are numbered.

By the time my son is ready to drive, I don't think he's going to want anything to do with a manual trans. Self-driving cars will probably be here by then.

Before I bought my used car, I was trying to find new Asian cars with MT.

Tons of VW and Subaru out there but Toyota, Honda and H/K are few and far between.

I did see a Corolla 5 door in the Boston Area for sale with at stick - and 1200.00 off too!

Then according to Raiti's Rides on YT, the new Versa has grown up and it's decent.
and CHEAP.

New Nissan MT under 16 grand.

But I would still be cautious that it is built with marginal parts and assembly QC.

The sad reality is very few people want to buy a new vehicle with one. I’m a semi truck mechanic and manuals are quickly going away in the class 8 sector.
I know why they are going away but to me one of the best parts of driving a semi was the manual trans. Once mastered the shifting is smooth and effortless, I thought it was a pleasure, a possible an art. That being said it has been 22 years since I drove a semi and I'll bet I would be in for quite a relearning curve.

Last edited:
Just to say that I am in favor of saving the manual transmission vehicles for my brothers & sisters who love their manual tranny vehicles.
I even learned(50 yrs ago) how to drive on manual tranny cars & trucks. From just learning the feel of the vehicle, to my learners permit/driving test and into my drivers license. I have even owned manual tranny vehicles('72 PowerWagon, '74 Camaro, '79 Firebird). And have driven even more manuals of friends & family, domestic & import...4 on the floor and 3 on the tree. :D And of course, many vehicles right up to today

Although I don't want to own a manual tranny vehicle today, as I do like just getting into a vehicle, starting the engine and putting the gear selector into "D" and driving off, I am in favor of "Saving the Manuals" for our brother's & sister's in the automotive world.

What say you?

CB
I am age 60 learned to drive on manual tarns. First vehicle I ever drove was a 1950 8N ford tractor I was probably about 10 -11 years old. grew up in Fargo ND and grandparents had a farm about 30 miles out. Learned to drive combines, tractors, windrowers, skid loaders motorcycles. It was a kid's dream . Learned to drive stick on grandpa's ford F100 pickup also on various 3 on the tree cars mainly the ford Falcon, a 67 chevy station wagon of my dad's and a old Ford Maverick that my grandpa bought for a run around car. Even the driver ed car at my HS used a 3on Tree station wagon for driver ed. I no longer own anything with a manual trans sold my old 1981 F150 custom with 4 speed years ago. My Kids wanted to learn how to drive manuel and since i dont have one a farmer friend of mine from church let them come out to his farm a few times and drive his old 4 on the floor trucks around the farm, so at least they all got some introduction to it. One thing for sure manuel transmission vehicles are not popular among today's car thieves as none of them know how to drive sticks.

You can tell this is an American based forum ;-)

Manuals are going away here in the USA, but every time I go to Europe or China I get a manual in my rental car (there is an up-charge for auto). I learned at age 14, and have had a manual transmissioned car in my ownership every day since...more years than I care to admit.

Perspective. After driving three and hours in my fox-body Mustang with a cable operated clutch and then dropping into the driver's seat of my old Subaru with a hydraulic clutch, I feel like my left foot is stepping on a button and not a pedal.
Looking at your phone when driving a manual is more challenging. I do not do that, but that's the reality for millions of drivers and possibly part of a conscious or subconscious choice of picking an auto.
Luxury means isolated as much as possible from the reality of what's occurring around us. Driving has become boring and most electric power steering is terrible. Not all, just 51 percent or more.
A good DCT doesn't really need the paddles. I like using them, but sometimes I feel silly doing it. Not all DCTs are good. I guess track days are a good place.

The sad reality is very few people want to buy a new vehicle with one. I’m a semi truck mechanic and manuals are quickly going away in the class 8 sector.

Aren't those truck transmissions still not even synchronized? Europe has had automatic trucks for awhile, and even Brazil has synchronized manual trucks.

There is approximately a 5% "take rate" when manuals are even offered on new cars. Just about all the reasons for owning one has been negated by today's modern transmissions.

Good riddance.

Back