Drove a 6spd manual yesterday...don't miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
For the first time in a long time, I no longer have a manual transmission.

My next car is a 6-speed Challenger.

V8 or V6 ?

He wants a stripped down model with a v8 for super cheap and has been looking for months and posting in another thread dedicated to said topic.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial

...LEARNED manual driving(as opposed to elevating from "I know how to make the car move" to "I really could drive this car anywhere and it not phase me that it's a manual") on the MG in my signature, and I still hold it up as the standard to which manuals should be. The clutch is perfect, and even though the shift throw is a bit long by modern standards, it's tight and precise. I'm excited about FINALLY getting around to putting an overdrive in it-the transmission is sitting in my garage and awaiting my time to check it out and then get the motivation to pull the engine/transmission and install it. Of course I'm also debating with myself about having it rebuilt before putting it in, and also waiting until I finish the engine rebuild that's currently in the works so that I can do both at the same time.

Lacock de Normanville (sp?) OD unit... electrically shifted?

Can't see yor signature so I'll have to surmise you're speaking of an MGB. Have always liked those, particularly '74 and earlier.... Such an aesthetically pleasing car and amazingly capable / nice-driving.

Originally Posted by Ws6

V8 or V6 ?

He wants a stripped down model with a v8 for super cheap and has been looking for months and posting in another thread dedicated to said topic.

Do you have to work at being wrong all the time or does it come naturally?

I didn't learn to drive manual until my last car. Loved it and specifically chose to get a manual for my new car. It sucks in bumper to bumper traffic, but I don't live in a place where I encounter that often.

I know I can't shift as fast as a modern automatic, but I get to choose what gear I want to be in. I don't trust CVTs yet either and the car I wanted isn't offered in automatic. Maybe if there was an option for a DCT, I might have went for it, but those are higher maintenance than traditional autos.

Another upside is my brother-in-law is the only other person who can drive a manual in my family so no one else drives my car
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

V8 or V6 ?

Do you have to work at being wrong all the time or does it come naturally?

I'm often wrong, but not this time. You want a manual, 5.7L, no sunroof, no leather, and are looking at cars with 100k plus miles for only a few thousand dollars.
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by 02SE
Want.

We rarely agree on anything.

But that's a good looking car, and if you want and can afford it, go get it.

Life is short...

I just noticed it's got really high mileage (155K). I've seen them with 50-60K around here for about 15-16k.

I haven't. Under 100K is over $15K.

I want a base R/T...preferably with no leather and DEFINITELY no sunroof.

There we are. Found the quote.

Last edited:
My Subarus with 5-speed manuals are really easy pleasurable to drive. When I let my visiting brother, who had not driven manual in a long time, use my 1996, he was surprised at how smooth and easy it was to drive.

I learned to drive in automatics (Volvo wagons 145S & 265) in the '80s, but I've been a fan of manuals since my parents took a leap and got a 5-speed Acura Integra (first gen) as a family car and everyone in the family learned all to drive manual at the same time.

I've been watching too much Launch Control on YouTube, and that has me interested in the rally car sequential 6-speeds. If I had unlimited money, I'd highly modify my 2003 into a rally wagon and put that in. That transmission alone costs, what, $15K?, or was it $75K - wasn't sure based on limited research.

Last edited:
Nice car. It's like a reliable BMW.

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
2strokeNorthstar said:
Ok? Other than bumper to bumper traffic automatics are boring for me. Driving a manual always makes a somewhat mundane experience slightly exciting. It's all preference I'm not into incar tech at all so I think that's part of it

I guess i am a bit of a Luddite with my '17 Mazda6 (bottom-trim-line) with 6MT too...

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Nice car. It's like a reliable BMW.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Ok? Other than bumper to bumper traffic automatics are boring for me. Driving a manual always makes a somewhat mundane experience slightly exciting. It's all preference I'm not into incar tech at all so I think that's part of it

I guess i am a bit of a Luddite with my '17 Mazda6 (bottom-trim-line) with 6MT too...

I feel the same about my cx5. They have a very German feel, inside as well as driving wise, the newer Mazdas (2016-17+). I really wish the 6 was awd or rwd though. 310# torque through a fwd car is annoying, imo

Last edited:
Mine, fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) is normally aspirated - i.e. no turbo.

It is reliable, yes. Not sure I would say it has the same feel as a BMW... but yes, they have imbued it with a fairly sporty ride / handling mix. The C66M-R 6MT transaxle is decent - but is no Getrag.

I agree. Drove manuals for the last 20 years and don't miss it at all.

Not all manuals are equal. Many are awful and to drive. My friends 2003 Vette and 2005 Mustang were so bad. Subaru manuals are lousy too. My BIL's M3 was OK but nothing great. My Honda and Mazda has nice shifting manuals but where I live I much prefer a good automatic.

I'll take a good AT with paddle shifters over a manual.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial

...LEARNED manual driving(as opposed to elevating from "I know how to make the car move" to "I really could drive this car anywhere and it not phase me that it's a manual") on the MG in my signature, and I still hold it up as the standard to which manuals should be. The clutch is perfect, and even though the shift throw is a bit long by modern standards, it's tight and precise. I'm excited about FINALLY getting around to putting an overdrive in it-the transmission is sitting in my garage and awaiting my time to check it out and then get the motivation to pull the engine/transmission and install it. Of course I'm also debating with myself about having it rebuilt before putting it in, and also waiting until I finish the engine rebuild that's currently in the works so that I can do both at the same time.

Lacock de Normanville (sp?) OD unit... electrically shifted?

Can't see yor signature so I'll have to surmise you're speaking of an MGB. Have always liked those, particularly '74 and earlier.... Such an aesthetically pleasing car and amazingly capable / nice-driving.

Yes, a Laycock overdrive for a '70 MGB.

The one I have is a bit of a mis-match, as it came out of a 1980 so is O/D in 4th only. I'm already running a late transmission so have fitted a speedo that reads correctly for the different drive ratio of late boxes(or at least as correctly as a wobbly Smith's speedo can read), so that's not a problem. One of the things I do want to do before installing, however, is have it internally converted to allow O/D in 3rd and 4th.

3rd O/D is close to 1:1, or in other words about the same as 4th non-O/D. Since around town cruising is mostly in those 2 gears, a lot of folks will put the transmission in 3rd and drive around town flipping the O/D on and off-flipping a switch without the clutch(especially if the switch is on the wiper stalk, as is the factory-installed switch on my car) is certainly a lot easier than pressing the clutch and shifting.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Everything I own is a manual.
If you aren't driving a clutch-and-shifter car, you aren't really driving.
The mental focus required to pick your own gears makes you a better driver
I dread the day my left knee gives out, and I can't drive a manual anymore.

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

that was funny, thanks for cheering me up on an otherwise dreary morning....

Oh wait, you were being serious?!?

Wow...well then...

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Nope, still makes me laugh...so thanks again!

!!

I lived at the drag strip when I was a kid. Drove some really cool cars, was known as a "shoe".

Even in 1969 we knew that automatics were going to be faster than all but the most experienced/talented drivers. And today they are quite a bit better.

When you take my sig car out for a spin and hit the brakes hard to dive into a corner aggressively and the car starts downshifting as though it knew what you wanted you will agree. And that's an 06!

Slushboxes ain't what they used to be...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I lived at the drag strip when I was a kid. Drove some really cool cars, was known as a "shoe".

Even in 1969 we knew that automatics were going to be faster than all but the most experienced/talented drivers. And today they are quite a bit better.

When you take my sig car out for a spin and hit the brakes hard to dive into a corner aggressively and the car starts downshifting as though it knew what you wanted you will agree. And that's an 06!

Slushboxes ain't what they used to be...

Yup. I prefer a manual in a sports car solely because it's fun. I cannot make an argument for superiority in any mechanical sense unless you are hot lapping an auto with crappy cooling.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Nick1994
A manual is fun occasionally. But for a daily driver? [censored] no.

I'd like a C6 Vette. Maybe one day I'll get one. It'll be an automatic.

You shift a manual automatically after you drive one for a while. It's like breathing.

Maybe so but after 50 miles or so of stop and go traffic it's not your breathing but your left knee that reminds you the next vehicle you buy should be a automatic.

50 MILES of stop and go ... ?

Your next vehicle should be a bicycle ...

I have only driven trucks that had manuals. Never any cars that I remember. I don't like 5 and 6 speeds. 3 to 4 with an engine that can lug would be ok. I do like the way the 6 speed autos in gm trucks work now a days. I would take them over a manual any day.

I don't miss my s10 with the 4 cylinder and five speed. I would work hard all day and drive 2 hours home at the end of the week only to have my leg cramp up instantly when I went to downshift turning off the four lane.

I started driving when I was 8 or so in a 79 f150 300 3speed with a granny low and 4.10 gears. Dad would put the truck in low gear on the farm and let me steer while he opened the gate for me to get through. I would shift for him as we drove whenever I could. Never could miss a gear with that long of throw. It did suck when someone was sitting in the middle and you had to back up. If they weren't paying attention you could give them good Charlie horse. You could even get the right hand passenger in the knee if they were sitting spread out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by geeman789

Maybe so but after 50 miles or so of stop and go traffic it's not your breathing but your left knee that reminds you the next vehicle you buy should be a automatic.

I think he lives around the Seattle/Tacoma area. From the few times I've visited there, 50 miles of stop-go traffic is definitely plausible. I don't think I've ever seen traffic backed up 10 miles at 4AM in the morning without construction, and without any accidents, anywhere else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

I think he lives around the Seattle/Tacoma area. From the few times I've visited there, 50 miles of stop-go traffic is definitely plausible. I don't think I've ever seen traffic backed up 10 miles at 4AM in the morning without construction, and without any accidents, anywhere else.

Yep that's the place. Just a few months back I had to drive north. It was solid on the 512 onto 167 going north and then on the 405 through Bellevue and on to I-5 to just south of Everett.

On the I-405 it took 90 minutes to go from the 520 bridge exit to the I-90 bridge exit.

It's a combination of exploding population, geography and not enough roads.

Originally Posted by Pew

I have friends in WA. This is a thing.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by A_Harman
Everything I own is a manual.
If you aren't driving a clutch-and-shifter car, you aren't really driving.
The mental focus required to pick your own gears makes you a better driver
I dread the day my left knee gives out, and I can't drive a manual anymore.

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

that was funny, thanks for cheering me up on an otherwise dreary morning....

Oh wait, you were being serious?!?

Wow...well then...

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Nope, still makes me laugh...so thanks again!

!!

I might have overstated that first comment. Somedays I believe it more than others. Like the days I'm towing a big trailer through small New England towns, I'm not such a fan.
But I really believe the second.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back