Save money, buy in volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One quart of Havoline DS 5W-30 is $3.99 here.

12 quarts is $37.68, $3.14 a quart, a savings of 85 cents per quart.

220 quarts is $577.64, or $2.66 a quart, a savings of $1.33 a quart.

We all stash oil anyways, we might as well get right into it.

Be prepared in case of a world issue or a run on Oil.......

thumbsup2.gif

I have not seen a discount on oil in many years! It used to be 25% off when you bought a case (a real USA case, 24 cans) at Giant T. Cool.

Closeouts are even better. Find an AZ or Advance with some dusty bottles and go talk to the manager. You'd be surprised how eager they are to get rid of slow-moving stock. I haven't paid over $2.50 for a qt of M1 in years. That's the only thing holding me back from buying some of the new M1 HM.

We should play a little game here. Call a distributor and ask what their price is for a 55 gallon/208 litre drum of whatever the cheapest SM rated 5W-30 is cash price, post the oil brand, distributor and location, and the price.

Off the top of my head the oils that would probably fall into this bracket are:
- Exxon SuperFlo
- Esso Extra (Canada)
- FormulaShell
- Mobil Drive Clean (not Drive Clean 5000, just plain Drive Clean)
- Chevron Supreme
- Kendall/76/Conoco Semi-Syn or Conventional
- Mobil Super 1000 (Canada)
- Petro-Canada Supreme (Canada)

There are probably some others out there I have missed but these come to mind as common "economy" oils that you could probably get by the drum.

""Call a distributor and ask what their price is for a 55 gallon/208 litre drum of whatever the cheapest SM rated 5W-30 is cash price""

$ 4.54 Gallon GPII and GPIII
thats $1.13 per quart.
bruce

Hey guys, how about going to Kragen for their .49 cents a quart sale they are having now on Formula Shell. You have to send in the rebate form to get the savings though. But, if you don't want to, then it's still on sale for $1.49 a qt. They trade off between Chevron Supreme and Formula Shell every few months with this same sale. I bought a case of Chevron Supreme in Dec 07 and still have a few quarts left. I think I'm still going to get my $5.88 case of Shell though. There is a limit of one case. Hey, its plenty to hold me over to the next sale.

Careful guys, you'll end up with quite a stash. Which, don't get me wrong, I could stare at the strategic petroleum reserve for hours (and do sometimes). But you never have an excuse to go out and buy the newest oil...Of course, unless you just want to...
thumbsup2.gif

You can get the No-Name brand of motor oil at Superstore, 4L for $8.99 … $2.25 liter. It is made by Shell. This is probably the best deal for a motor oil (at regular prices) here up in Canada.

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
You can get the No-Name brand of motor oil at Superstore, 4L for $8.99 … $2.25 liter. It is made by Shell. This is probably the best deal for a motor oil (at regular prices) here up in Canada.

haha, you mean the one that literally says "no name" on it. thats the brand, right? that's loblaws/no frills in-house cheapo brand for everything from food to toilet paper.

sh!t man, i looked at the bottles once at my local RCSS (real canadian superstore) and just couldn't do it! how do you know its made by shell? how do you know its any good?

Originally Posted By: deven
heard 5 finger discounts tend to be the cheapest when they are on sale.
shocked2.gif

LOL. On a side note the cheapest oil used to be the "destroy at store" oil from AutoZone. Sure it was all different weights and types but free is free. I'm almost totally out of the last QS Synthetic 5w50 I got 2+ years ago.

We used to buy Castrol GTX in 55 gallon drums here at the plant. Unfortunately, it wasn't kept locked, and seemed to get empty pretty quick.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Drum?

Amsoil AME in a 275 gallon tote. $4460. $4/qt.

I love the word "tote"....I can just see me asking the wife to help me "tote" that thing down to the basement...
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back