Saturn Oil Consumption w/ Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the switch from dino oil to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in my '01 Saturn SL1 at 55k. During the first 3800 miles, oil consumption was around 2 quarts. I did have to replace the intake manifold gasket during this time (it was leaking around cylinder #1 and causing idle problems).
frown.gif

I decided to change the oil again, and after 1300 miles I have added another 2/3 quart. I have used LC and PureOne filters with both oil changes.

Before switching to synthetic, there was little or no oil consumption. I had an excellent UOA using the dino Pennzoil HM oil, but went with the Platinum since I picked it up on sale.

I have read on this website that it is normal for consumption to increase when switching to synthetic oil. It's probably the design of my engine more than anything! But if consumption doesn't slow down soon, I will be switching back to the dino.
patriot.gif

That's one of the problems with dirty engines when switching to synthetics. Things got "shook up" inside your engine when the Platinum arrived -- causing internal/external leaks(my opinion). It may correct itself over time. I do not feel returning to dino at this time will reverse your consumption.

That's why alot of folks here recommend Auto-Rx before making the switch. Could of happened with any name-brand synthetic in your case.

Once again - without seeing the inside of your engine... I can only guess/offer an opinion.

I am working with a friend who has a Saturn also. We recently changed it over to synthetics and the oil consumption has increased and the oil has become black. I am sure the engine was/is varnished up on the inside. We are continuing to keep a weekly eye on the oil level. We now are trying the Mobil 0-40 out to see if the consumption slow's down. At this point my friend still is standing by synthetics. We are planing a filter change soon.

As a fellow Saturn owner, I strongly suggest using Auto-RX prior to moving to synth oils. I did the Auto-RX treatment before I made the switch to synth on my SL2 with about 100K, and had no consumption issues when using 30wt or higher oils.

Auto-Rx worked as advertised.

Saturns use oil. The usage usually begins in earnest around 50,000 miles. You'll easily drive it to 200,000 miles and beyond regardless. Just get used to checking it every day and carrying a couple of quarts in the trunk. The switch to synthetic didn't do anything magical in terms of "cleaning out a leak," despite reports to the contrary. As far as I'm concerned, false seals occupy the same space in fevered imaginations as black helicopters, alien autopsies, and sasquatch.

Yep the 1.9L engines generally burn oil regardless. They will run forever though. Mine lasted 160k, however it always burned about 1qt/1000mi, and turned the oil black very quickly.

After tearing the engine down (it was still running great), the oil control rings were gummed up with loads of carbon causing the oil usage.

If you're looking to slow the oil consumption, try 5w-40 Shell Rotella T syn, I used that for a long time with excellent results and decreased oil consumption.

It is not uncommon for oil consumption to increase when changing to a very different type of oil. This usually ends within one to three oil change intervals...but who wants to buy high priced syn oil to blow out the tail pipe for that length of time?

You might try adding a thickener for just this oil change, the Valvoline stuff everybody likes.

Why use syn oil? If your reasons are good, then the expense is worthwhile. Otherwise, why switch?

Ken

Though I sometimes use 5w 30 in the Winter time on occasion. Have always found 10w 30 wt oils cut oil consumption in half over 5w 30. This seems especially true with highway miles and Summer time driving. Seem to get the same results with both synthetic and dino oils.

The main reason I switched was the Platinum was on sale for $2 a quart. I wanted to give it a try and picked up enough to do 3 oil changes on my car.

I was not going to do extended oil change intervals since I knew Saturns were hard on oil and have a history of consumption. I thought that Saturn supposedly corrected the oil burning problem in 2000, and that the DOC engine had more issues with it than the SOC engine (which mine is).

In hindsight, I should've used Auto-RX before switching. I will check into using it now and probably go back to what I was using before.

Go back to dino.
Your Saturn engine doesn't care,you shouldn't fret over it.

I would go back to dino with the Rx and then go back to the synthetics after the cleaning...the synthetics will keep those rings and other parts in the engine clean. Your engine won't sludge up either. Try the last 2 oil changes of Platnium and see if the consumpion stops....please, let us know how it goes.

I'm really anxious to see how this Platinum stuff does. It IS supposed to have some good solvent abilities. But is it the miracle cleaner that arx seems to be for so many of us? I dunno.

Maybe not. I'm just thinking from the tech paper someone posted about it. One thing mentioned was EOP's solvent ability. Matter of fact, it said this was an obstacle to bringing it to market. I'm not disputing that arx works-it's in my engine as we speak and can confirm it's results. But would this stuff be, say, similar to running an arx maint dose or something? I just have solvency on the brain since I have an engine known for sludging. There's more to a good motor oil!

After seeing how clear my Platinum dipstick is after 3K of this OCI, I'm worried that Platinum is lacking detergency. Been pulling dipsticks since 1969. Never saw it stay so clear for so long - with almost 100K on the odometer in this instance.

My "worry" motive is having another 12 quarts of Platinum in the basement for this vehicle.
gr_eek2.gif
gr_stretch.gif

Yeah, this whole clear dipstick thing leaves me a little squirmy. Maybe this new technology makes oil contaminates magically vanish into the 11th dimension.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back