Saturn Oil Comsumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding oil comsumption on Saturns. I own a 99 SL w/the 1.9 sohc. I bought it last June with 12K miles on it. It has not burned any oil since I have owned it. I was changing the oil at 3k at Jiffy lube but am now changing it myself. It now has 25K and I have just switched to Mobil 1 5-30 and a Mobil 1 filter. My question: does the sohc engine burn oil also or is it just the dohc?

I also have a 2000 Silverado 4X4, 5.3 with 36K and just switched that over to Mobil 1 0-30 and Mobil 1 filter. I have allways changed the oil in this myself. I was using Castrol GTX 5-30 and Fram filters with 2K change intervals. I am increasing the change interval with the Mobil 1 to 5k in both the Silverado and the Saturn.

Thanks for the input!!

Hi, I believe it is the DOHC that was the oil burner. I think your oil choices are good and intervals of 5k are too. For the Silverado, I would jump up to the M1 10W or 0w-40 in the summer. I know New Hampshire's winters are brutal so the 0w-30 should be great for now.
smile.gif

hello, I have a 94 SL1 with 162k miles on it. The SOHC's do burn oil, but don't seem to do it as much as the DOHC's. This is likely due to the higher compression of the DOHC engine. I recommend doing a run of auto-rx and switching to mobil1 0w40 on the next change. I've had great results with this oil in this engine. I also noticed you have a 99. That year has the newer design oil control rings. I really doubt you'll have a problem with that engine as long as you treat it well.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back