All saturns burn oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster but I would like some input on this.
I did a search for saturns and the uoa and only got a few hits.My brother has a 94 saturn 1.9 dohc (I think) and he is buring about 1.5 quarts per oil change 4000 oci.It has about 150,000 miles on it.

He is using a 5W-30 dino now and my question is would a switch to blend or mobil 1 decrease consumption?

Thank you!!!
grin.gif

The school of thought on this problem is the design of the engine is such that the pistons freeze up (carbon up), preventing them from expanding as necessary. As a result, there is excessive clearance, causing excessive oil consumption. This is a common problem with this engine.

If you "unstick" the rings, then your oil consumption will go away. I can't speak from experience, but there have been a few posts of people that have done it with success.

Saturn's 1.9s do seem to have a lot of oil consumtpion. If it is the rings I hear that pouring Lube Control in the cylinders works great for unsticking them.

-T

You may also consider switching to an HDEO to help keep the rings clean. If you don't want do use a 15W-40, Motorcraft apparently makes a CI-4 rated 10W-30 if you can find it.

Two Auto-Rx treatments is the place to start. Then go to a high mileage oil, such as Pennzoil or Castrol to see if consumption goes down.

I wouldn't run a 15-40 oil in an oil-gulping Saturn as there's too much blow-by and cat converter issues. If there's no blow-by, then by all means use the more robust 15w-40 oils. I do suggest giving Lube Control a shot in this engine to keep things clean.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Two Auto-Rx treatments is the place to start. Then go to a high mileage oil, such as Pennzoil or Castrol to see if consumption goes down.

I wouldn't run a 15-40 oil in an oil-gulping Saturn as there's too much blow-by and cat converter issues. If there's no blow-by, then by all means use the more robust 15w-40 oils. I do suggest giving Lube Control a shot in this engine to keep things clean.
cheers.gif

Very good thinking, hold off on the HDEO until the oil consumption goes down. Just use it to KEEP it clean.

I have a 97 SC1 with 110,000 miles
was burning approx 1 qt/1000 miles on 5W30 dino (no leaks)
switched to Mobil 1 0W40 and have gone 3500 miles with approx 1 pint consumed.
I realize this is not cost effective but my daughter has this car @ college and I am glad to have the insurance because I know she does not maintain it like I do.
Incidentally saturnfans.com has a ton of info on their forums.

Yes, they all (pre-98ish) consume oil, through the rings. As of a few months ago, Saturn/GM released a service bulletin to this effect, TSB 94-T-59A I believe. Rather than pay for the Bulletin, here it is...try not to read the other posters, most of the info is junk on that site--

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sh...f7293d71c1def59c&threadid=38790&highlight=MMO

-JamesW
94 Suzuki Swift GT 1.3L DOHC, Amsoil 5w-30
95 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC (wife's car) on Delvac 15w40

I had a 93 Saturn 1.9 SOHC which I put synthetic 5W30 after 5000 km till 100000km, before I sold it. Mostly highway driving the engine used about 3/4 bottle of oil every 7500km oci, which wasn't too bad to me. Might be synthetic oil help a bit on oil consumption.

Yes they do, and an Auto-RX probably won't help much. A direct piston soak might. Do a search here for Saturn and piston soak. Heck, do a search for my user name: it's an old, old story!

These engines have the same basic design philosophy of the Northstar, though I don't know which design came first. They are in fact designed to burn some oil. This is mostly due to a very heavy crosshatch pattern left behind during the honing of the pistons. The reason this is done is to promote very VERY good lubrication of the rings. If you want to design an engine that will run over 150,000 - 300,000 miles without ring wear, they had better be WELL lubricated. Unfortunately, this design was rolled out to a public that expected much lower oil consumption. Most of us (and I include myself) were under the MISTAKEN impression that an engine that burns (some) oil is a bad thing. It's NOT! A few things can happen to foul up GM's brilliant design. 1) Hone stones, when new leave a VERY sharp pattern..inversely, hone stones when worn will leave a less agressive pattern, so you end up with varying degrees of oil comsumption. The guys that end up with the big oil eaters start trying wierd stuff to stop the oils usage, like using an oil with a LOT of VII's. This is the WRONG choice since burning high amounts of VII's actually promote ring sticking. Ovefilling the crankcase with excessive amounts of oil also contribute to the oil consumption problem. As the link points out, the engine oil should be checked HOT and after it has set for 5 minutes on a LEVEL surface. Once you have a percieved problem, you need to figure out the best course of treatment. The ring cleaning solvents are a good choice, but that will not work in EVERY case. That depends on several factors including the original hone pattern of the cylinder walls. Best advice is to follow the GM procedures if you feel the need, then to ONLY use the type and weight of oil called for in your owners manual. After the most recent developements in oil technology are finally available to all the public, the oil useage problem should diminish. Looks like the GF-4 Drive Clean will be an outstanding and economical choice.

Sorry about the post on SaturnFans....I have found from lurking around there that there is probably only 3 or 4 guys who know much about anything USEFUL on that site. It is always helpful, however, to have such an online community of those that share in the same car and the problems and benefits that come along with them.

The post onthe TSB sure was helpful, though!

-JamesW
95 Saturn SL2 (wife's daily driver), 1 qt per 1K

kev99sl: I am right with you. My 94 SW2 didn't start ANY oil consumption until 50k or so. It started approaching 1 qt / 3000 and by 85-90k on the clock was 1 qt / 800-1000 miles. It ran like a top but I was so mad and thought this problem was much worse than it seems to be that I sold the car (took a BEATING). I won't EVER buy a Saturn again. The counter clown @ the service bay told me $1200+ to fix. I told him that $1 / qt oil is far cheaper and that I'd never be back. Too many other good cars out there. Like the 90 Corolla I had with over 140k and didn't use a drop in 5000 mile changs. The oil was still honey brown after 5000 miles too. Never needed repairs.

My 2001 SL1 just turned in a great UOA a few months ago and I just changed the oil today and am sending in another UAO on GC. The car has 47189 miles on it and in a 4221 OCI it needed 0 makeup oil. Ill be curios to see how long it stays this way. I use it as a work car and its great in that fact, rides good for the price, 32mpg most of the time, and in 47k miles it hasnt been to the dealer once. Not bad for a $15k car.

I've been reading these posts, and I wonder if there are others like me. I do not expect my car to use a significant amount of oil between regular oil changes. If my 10 year old 150,000 mile clunker started to require periodic Hood Lifting I would get rid of it.
Some GM engines such as the Northstar (Kind of High end) are designed to use oil in order to last upto 300,000 miles, come on this is not 1960, Why don't they find out how Toyota and Honda do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back