Saturn Ion Getrag F23 5-speed manual, what fluid?

You also don't know how long that general motors fluid has been sitting on the shelf either. Oh they'll send it to you and yeah they'll charge you for it but if it's been there for a few years I wouldn't have any faith in it. I would look for a fluid from either Amsoil or red line or somebody like that. If I recall it's front wheel drive so 75 w 90 gl4 is what I believe you need.

I think those were j-body frames like the cavalier and Sunfire previously and in my mom's 98 I put red line MTL in there and it was like butter. My biggest problem was it had the Isuzu transmission not the fancy gay truck f 2 3. I'm still sure it takes a synchromesh fluid that's full synthetic 75 w90. And I have an inkling that the ATF transmission fluid would work but if you started really putting it through the paces I don't know if I would have as much faith in it.

In a sealed bottle? Why would that be a concern? Cant be any worse than what's in the transmission for who knows how long.
My understanding was eventually after a period of time all fluid is considered beyond service use. I wouldn't put the life of my transmission inside of a fluid that you don't know how long it's been there. I encourage you to do what you want and that's fine but I would rather if I was going to do that C1 in person and a local store or find out what the manufacturing date was.

I have this car and used ATF. In this case SynGard HD full synthetic that I scored from work. You can't drain much unless you tip the car from the opposite side I guess. I used a large syringe, drew about 1L.

My understanding was eventually after a period of time all fluid is considered beyond service use. I wouldn't put the life of my transmission inside of a fluid that you don't know how long it's been there. I encourage you to do what you want and that's fine but I would rather if I was going to do that C1 in person and a local store or find out what the manufacturing date was.
I'd get it from a large GM dealer here so it can't be on the shelf too long.

I'd get it from a large GM dealer here so it can't be on the shelf too long.
That's what I do when I go into the filling station for a can of Copenhagen still make sure you pull the fresh one from the back of the shelf. Hope it works out for you you can take some pictures or tell us the results that be cool

Ended up getting the Redline D4. Not sure if I even had to change it as the old fluid looked like new.

Transmission fluid change.jpg

Ended up getting the Redline D4. Not sure if I even had to change it as the old fluid looked like new.

View attachment 149092
Well you've changed it now and at least you know for certain where everything stands and peace of mind this kind of like that model about one in the hand or two in the bush or something like that. Besides on this forum we look forward to changing fluids or at least most of us do

Stock ~2qt refill or TSB ~2.5qt overfill?

D4 is a pretty good ATF and should work fine in a manual transmission. I would've used an MT fluid but am in a warmer climate now which tolerates more cst.

Back