Saskatchewan government announces support for micro reactor

You will forgive me if I think Westinghouse should just go away, irrelevant of who owns it.

I hope it works out better for the good people of Saskatchewan. Westinghouse took us for $9B.

"V.C. Summer Nuclear Station in Jenkinsville, South Carolina, and contracted Westinghouse Electric Company,"
""both SCE&G and Santee Cooper were well aware of shortcomings, mismanagement, and lack of oversight that eventually made the reactors impossible to complete, years before Westinghouse declared bankruptcy and both companies pulled out."

You will forgive me if I think Westinghouse should just go away, irrelevant of who owns it.

I hope it works out better for the good people of Saskatchewan. Westinghouse took us for $9B.

"V.C. Summer Nuclear Station in Jenkinsville, South Carolina, and contracted Westinghouse Electric Company,"
""both SCE&G and Santee Cooper were well aware of shortcomings, mismanagement, and lack of oversight that eventually made the reactors impossible to complete, years before Westinghouse declared bankruptcy and both companies pulled out."

Yes, Summer was a boondoggle, as was Vogtle. The difference of course is that Georgia decided to continue on regardless and actually completed the units, while Summer sits there in a state of partial construction, generating no electricity, despite the considerable price tag.

Probably not popular with a lot of folks in your state, but ultimately, the best thing to do would be to complete the units. Yes, it'll be more money, but at least you'll have something that can generate electricity for the next 60-80 years, long after that CAPEX is paid off.

Probably not popular with a lot of folks in your state, but ultimately, the best thing to do would be to complete the units. Yes, it'll be more money, but at least you'll have something that can generate electricity for the next 60-80 years, long after that CAPEX is paid off.
I completely agree. I believe most people in South Carolina would as well. We didn't want our utility sold to Dominion, and we should have hired competent help and completed the reactor, but neither happened. I think certain people wanted the whole thing swept under the rug as expeditiously as possible so they could get it out of the headlines. But thats just my opinion.

Saskatchewan should start by hiring independent auditors to oversee any expenditures.

Back