Santa Fe Owners-Change your transmission fluid!

I had the same experience with my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L with 4x4 and the 4spd auto. I drained the ATF soon after I bought it a year old with 36K miles and the ATF was very dark. I did a few 3-4qt Maxlife ATF drain/fills with it the time I owned it. That vintage had an ATF dipstick and a drain plug,

Yes but to fill it back up-there is a fill hole under neath and a "over flow indicator" hole. OR you disassemble the air cleaner housing-and there is a breather hole you can use. The car has to be on jacks (perfectly level). You can't get underneath it to perform the work (in your own garage) otherwise. Of course-the place I used had pits.

Much easier to undo the cooler lines, let the fluid pump out and replace an equal amount. You need to undo the cooler lines anyway or the fluid sometimes refuses to go in the transmission.

Whats the procedure? I thought most hyundais had drain plugs?

I was actually at the hyundai dealer picking up the 2010 accent a few years ago(exhaust bracket fell off) and the service advisor next to me was denying a transmission repair for non-oem fluid.
It's up to the dealer and manufacturer to prove the non-OEM fluid caused the failure. If you escalate it-that's what they need to do. The service writer/manager may arbitrarily tell you that-but it's not that simple.

It's up to the dealer and manufacturer to prove the non-OEM fluid caused the failure. If you escalate it-that's what they need to do. The service writer/manager may arbitrarily tell you that-but it's not that simple.
That sounds great but how does that work exactly. Lawyer on call?

I'm sure Valvoline and other universal fluids (which are all VERY similar) have done testing in many transmissions.

You can bet, the OEM does not have ultra-longevity at the top of their priorities list. So when they say "lifetime" transmission fluid, take that with a grain of salt. I have preached this for a long time. Change early and often.

Hyundai/Kia vehicle owner’s manuals say to use an ATF the meets the specs, that’s it. It’s a little bit different than Dexron, Mercon, and ATF+4 where there are officially licensed products.

I want to know what happened? 🧐
I had a ABS module go out in a Honda Accord which I bought new. As background-it should be noted I was in Industrial Sales for 25 years. So-the car had 65,000 miles on it-well out of warranty. It was a $750.00 repair/replacement as quoted by the dealer. I called Honda Corporate located in Torrance, California. I made a persuasive argument that the part shouldn't have gone out. Honda asked what I wanted. Now, I knew I wasn't going to get it fixed for "free"-based on time and mileage. I asked for some "cooperation" on the repair. He said he will work/talk with the dealer. I get a call the next day from the Service Manager at the dealership saying come pick up my car-the bill would be $300.00

Now being in sales I know what to say and how to say it-and for a mere 15 minute phone call and my skills I saved $450.00.

Hyundai/Kia vehicle owner’s manuals say to use an ATF the meets the specs, that’s it. It’s a little bit different than Dexron, Mercon, and ATF+4 where there are officially licensed products.
from the horse's mouth
hyatf.JPG

It says approved by Hyundai. I don't know if Hyundai has approved the Maxlife. But Valvoline has approved it for use in Hyundais.
I'm sure that shop - and many other shops have done countless services with Maxlife. Valvoline uses Maxlife for their flushes.

So the wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe w/the 3.3 and 6 speed has 43,000 miles on it and is coming up on four years of ownership. I noticed a degradation in the shifts of the transmission. I researched garages and found one - a garage/tire shop chain here in Utah that uses Valvoline Maxlife Transmission fluid. I made an appointment. After waiting an hour-the manager came out to apologize for the delay and said that are doing an additional cycle of fluid because the fluid was burnt and looked very poor. So my advice is to change the fluid out around 30,000 miles. It turns out the dealers recommend a 50,000 mile flush-and Hyundai says it's "lifetime". Which I guess means 100,000 miles-the length of the power train warranty!

It should be noted in this case the dealer recommendation is actually better for your vehicle than the manufacturer.

I didn't attempt this my self because it's simply awkward to perform service on this transmission in this particular vehicle.
Did they upcharge you for the additional cycle of fluid?

You can bet, the OEM does not have ultra-longevity at the top of their priorities list. So when they say "lifetime" transmission fluid, take that with a grain of salt. I have preached this for a long time. Change early and often.
yeah because no car manufacturer cares if they get a reputation of having failed transmissions so early in life.....

2012 Kia Sedona 3.5L with 6 speed Automatic, just did this and I'll post some links and paste the most prominent paragraph as you may not want to read my other ramblings;
The transmission fluid exchange.
Some of the guidance I used were found here, scroll down for the links;
Kia Sorento Maintenance - "Most are for the 3.5L V6 and some are for the 2.4L 4 cylinder. In addition, the 3.5L V6 used in our Sorentos has also been used in some Hyundai Santa Fe models as well as some Kia Sedona models and so some videos may be for those vehicles but still apply to our Sorentos."
Here's the post where I found the basic instructions on how to fill the transmission. I opted to fill at the 'check plug' point too, from above with the funnel;

Fill plug was a 24mm plug so I didn't have to use the vent, I just funneled a 3/8 tube into it, then took off the expected outlet line the one to the right as you face the motor/trans, had a connector from Dorman 030-496 kit to connect it, then after spilling some fluid had to plug the trans end with an orange ear plug, the line leaked also as I ran the motor but the bigger volume was coming out the connection as expected and hoped... I have an ear plug example in the picture. Use the long handle curved needle nose pliers to get the clamp backed off worked great just had to position it a little more toward the access point, the wires present pushed aside easily for access point to remove the clamp and I didn't remove the battery as others reported doing.

I'll add the last photo where I claim to have 'captured it all' for those who like me want it all including the punch-line for brevity's sake...the fluid in the tube was just short of being clean so I had to step out and get another jug of trans fluid at that point, fairly generous room to work in, basically, you're looking toward the side of the battery box and under it, the pliers is a long handle curved needle nose;
20210703_152327.jpg

And the last short rambling of a new (used) Kia owner who is so far happy and enthusiastic about said purchase;

"you can just see the ear plug that is in the transmission inlet line in-between the right of the pliers and where the white connector is. The red is the funnel and tube. Basically this is the whole set-up, that simple with the drain plug at the bottom, also a 24mm."

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
Just remember that if the transmission fails, Hyundai is known to collect fluid samples to confirm that SPIV was in the transmission.
My Hyundai dealer uses BG transmission fluid unless otherwise states. Hyundai would be welcome to show me any certifications BG has that the fluid of my choosing doesn't.

My Hyundai dealer uses BG transmission fluid unless otherwise states. Hyundai would be welcome to show me any certifications BG has that the fluid of my choosing doesn't.

Yea-when researching all this both the Hyundai and Kia dealerships come up under the transmission service lookup on BG's website. One dealer was the same price as what I paid-the other was about $40.00 higher. But then you know have to deal with the dealer-which really isn't that convenient for me. And the place I used really seemed to want to do right for the customer. Probably because they are family owned. It's THEIR NAME on the front of the store.

Maxlife is great stuff, the LV MV fluid is probably all the same crap. When I found out all the dealerships use BG, that's when I loaded up at walmart. If you get the level correct with OBD2 temps, you'll have no issue. Also, don't bet on the factory settting the level correctly either.

Back