Samsung refrigerator ice maker stops

I have defrosted and cleaned mine and it still ends up like this. Too much warm air I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_140524497.jpg
    IMG_20210123_140524497.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210123_140531788.jpg
    IMG_20210123_140531788.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210123_140535746.jpg
    IMG_20210123_140535746.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 21
My Samsung icemaker has a secret "FD" (forced defrost) mode. It takes a long time (like 45 minutes per cycle) , requires multiple cycles and it beeps incessantly during the cycle. But it does work.

After getting all the frost out, I wipe it down and spray the entire EVERYTHING liberally with PAM. It keeps the ice from sticking and makes the next defrost easier.

Here ya go:

I can honestly say it’s rare that I find an in fridge ice maker that is functional

I think they are a gimmick that lasts almost to the end of warranty and that’s it

I’m so tired of crap LG and Samsung appliances. I’m not interested in internet hacks, you tube videos, spraying everything with Pam etc etc, jury rigging wiring etc, etc. Can’t you just plug the darn thing in and not think about it for the next 10 years at least?? Can’t take this baloney anymore!,

I’m so tired of crap LG and Samsung appliances. I’m not interested in internet hacks, you tube videos, spraying everything with Pam etc etc, jury rigging wiring etc, etc. Can’t you just plug the darn thing in and not think about it for the next 10 years at least?? Can’t take this baloney anymore!,

There was a wealth of knowledge that simply evaporated when American companies started giving way to foreign competition. Our stuff was reasonably reliable and always serviceable. Much of the imported stuff is absolutely beautiful, and impossible to maintain.

I just did an online chat with samsung. My refrigerator is covered for an repair it to be installed at no cost. I made the appointment online. There is a repair kit with a different drain, defroster and a new circuit board.

The online assistant wanted to schedule service, i said no, i can do it myself if there is a charge, i need the repair kit order number.
Then i gave him the model and serial number, and it came up for free in home repair. so don't say yes to service too quick, ask if it will be covered by warranty.

Have the model and serial number when you contact them. The free inhome repair came up when my serial number was checked.

My model was one of these.

Last edited:
Service guy came out and replaced the inner unit with drain, a new circuit board. Its making ice, so far.

Its worth calling samsung and giving the model number. Even if its out of warranty.

We had a Samsung fridge in our previous house and it worked flawlessly, no trouble at all in seven years we lived there, it was bought brand new.

We have a newer model in our current house, also bought brand new, and the ice maker began to give us trouble after only one year. In my case, defrost doesn’t do anything as the water starts to freeze at the drain. I basically defrost it with a hairdryer about once a month.
Told wife no more Samsung fridges.

I can honestly say it’s rare that I find an in fridge ice maker that is functional

I think they are a gimmick that lasts almost to the end of warranty and that’s it
We have a Kenmore Elite side by side purchased when we bought our house new 15 years ago.
About 4 years ago we did have to replace the heating unit in the ice maker, which we did ourselves. Other then that the refrigerator, freezer and ice maker has been and still does work flawlessly, still looks new too and if I replace it, it will be just a general replacement for all our kitchen appliances at the same time.
Reading these posts and consumer reports, as well as being in people’s homes in my past occupation, we will only purchase Kennmore/Whirlpool appliances.
I’m not typically brand loyal but never been let down by these 2 companies so they will keep my business.

And pretty much like clockwork, after a month it’s frozen over again.
Terrible, terrible design. The secret defrost doesn’t work because at least in mine it’s the drain that starts to freeze

3F7139ED-4053-459A-A2BD-1A36C41523FB.jpeg

Here is how the drain looks like. That’s after melting the fros away so that you can see the ice inside the channel.

576DB4CF-EE1C-429F-B009-E8E3018CAABF.jpeg

Terrible, terrible design. The secret defrost doesn’t work because at least in mine it’s the drain that starts to freeze

View attachment 53245

Here is how the drain looks like. That’s after melting the fros away so that you can see the ice inside the channel.

View attachment 53249
See my post above. There was a class action suit, some samsung refrigerators have to be repaired free of charge, even if out of warranty. Mine was repaired with a new circuit board and hardparts and it now works!!

See my post above. There was a class action suit, some samsung refrigerators have to be repaired free of charge, even if out of warranty. Mine was repaired with a new circuit board and hardparts and it now works!!

Thanks, I will look into it.

Ours is junk too. It only makes 1 batch of ice per day. Also the water filter in the bottom of the refrigerator side freezes and no water can flow to the ice maker or water squirter.

If I turn the temp up to a temp that won't freeze the filter the stuff in the fridge does not get cooled off.

1617888398748.png
Exactly what ours did...from day 1. 2 repair visits, circuit board, and some hard part. Not fixed. I found myself scraping ice once a month to free the trapped cubes. We just lived with it. Then in 2020 it stopped cooling below 47 degrees. Samsung said it was irreparable, as nobody wanted to work on a propane cooling system. I was happy to see that SOB roll out the door. Replaced with a GE. Icemaker is in the left door, and has worked flawlessly for a year now. Fingers crossed.

Ours is junk too. It only makes 1 batch of ice per day. Also the water filter in the bottom of the refrigerator side freezes and no water can flow to the ice maker or water squirter.

If I turn the temp up to a temp that won't freeze the filter the stuff in the fridge does not get cooled off.
I got in with Samsung on a chat this morning. I had the same problem as Chris did. They were very decent and after I gave them my model/serial number they said they would come out and fix the icemaker at no charge. BTW my model is RF28HDEDTSR and was bought at Lowe's on 10/2015. If you have one of the affected models from the service bulletin someone posted, I venture to say they will fix it free of charge.

I got in with Samsung on a chat this morning. I had the same problem as Chris did. They were very decent and after I gave them my model/serial number they said they would come out and fix the icemaker at no charge. BTW my model is RF28HDEDTSR and was bought at Lowe's on 10/2015. If you have one of the affected models from the service bulletin someone posted, I venture to say they will fix it free of charge.
Mine did exactly as the others freezing up . After the kit, it works great so far. I paid nothing, I'm pretty sure they have to as the result of a class action suit.
Hopefully yours will work as well as mine does now.

Yup...this is also a thread on a local FB group too. Maybe 2 in 10 ice makers actually work after 2 years with Samsungs. It is clearly a design flaw...

What number did you call?

Back