Samsung refrigerator ice maker stops

It has decided to stop making ice. This one’s a little different from others I’ve seen, the arm that senses the bucket is full stays stowed, then a motor drives it down before dumping the ice. Found out about the test button to reset it, and after going through several cycles it has stopped again. Reset again, and it promptly dumped another load of ice and I heard it refill with water. Nothing impeding the sensing arm, but I’m kind of stumped. It’s like it thinks it’s full, or it just stalled.

Mine never works right. I've given up. Water overfills, freezes up and stops.
I think its just a bad design. I don't think we are the only ones with this problem.

My son had a new Samsung fridge about 8 years ago that according to him, ascended straight from hell! He got rid of it after 3 years and bought a Whirlpool. No problems since. My wife bought a Whirlpool washer 6 weeks ago and she wouldn’t even look at the Samsung or LG machines.

I have the junk Samsung as well.
There is an updated ice maker and special install instructions. I had that installed by a qualified repair man and it has been good for the last year.

There is a chrome looking loop inside the ice maker, damage that and the fridge is done, not repairable.

Is there an ice maker troubleshooting guide somewhere on the web? I have kitchen aid fridge and the ice maker failed. They are pretty neat once you figure out the cycle of how they make ice. On mine I had to replace the ice maker with a new unit. Cost me over $200 at the time, but it's been rock solid since then (that's probably 10 years ago).

It has decided to stop making ice. This one’s a little different from others I’ve seen, the arm that senses the bucket is full stays stowed, then a motor drives it down before dumping the ice. Found out about the test button to reset it, and after going through several cycles it has stopped again. Reset again, and it promptly dumped another load of ice and I heard it refill with water. Nothing impeding the sensing arm, but I’m kind of stumped. It’s like it thinks it’s full, or it just stalled.
I have a refrig and the water line to the ice maker freezes. No ice will be made. If I thaw out the freezer it will work for awhile.

Reactions: JC1
Samsung appliances are crap in my experience. The ice maker on my 2 year old fridge was freezing over and leaking on the floor. After about 12 back on forth calls and emails between Samsung and their horrible local repair shop it was able to be repaired under the class action lawsuit claim Samsung has about the issue. I was literally told by the local shop that their products suck also while being told if I miss my appointment window the case will be canceled and I would have to start the claim process over.

I have a dishwasher and range that was purchased at the same time as the fridge and the only one not having some sort of issue is the range (sure that will crap out now that I've said something). The dishwasher has been problematic since day 1 but would never act up when a tech was there. It would stop the cycle at random times for no reason and you'd have to start all over. Now it makes some interesting noises and is not cleaning properly. Online search results in basically it needing several hundred $$ of repairs which I have no intention of putting into this turd.

No experience with other brands but will be switching soon to anything but Samsung..

My dad’s getting his replaced next week. This is his second or third one. He’s glad he got the extend warranty!!!

I had the Samsung 4-door, and the ice maker never worked right. I had to periodically pull the tray and chisel the frost and ice from the ceiling. This was after two service calls and a complete computer replacement. Something about the ice buildup on the ceiling made it think it was full, and the ice never stopped building up. I was so glad to see that thing wheeled out the front door this year, after it stopped cooling and Samsung couldn't fix it because it runs on propane-based refrigerant. 4 years old. What a disaster appliance. No more Samsung in my house.

Except for a few cases, I find the ice makers are replacement items, cost about $100 and are fairly easy to replace. The worst part is emptying the fridge enough to pull it out. It’s also a good time to vacuum the coils, especially if you have furry friends at home. 🐶

I had a bad feeling it could be lousy design, another friend of mine has nothing good to say about Samsung refrigerators. Seems to be working again for now (knock on wood). The second time I reset it I noticed there was a chunk of ice on the side of the bucket, maybe the sensing arm was hitting it. For now, it's making ice again and I hear it dumping and filling, no strange ice accumulations. Thanks all!

Seal the ice maker box, do a forced defrost, see where that gets you...
I have defrosted mine several times. I think the problem lies in the icemaker is in the refridgerator section, not the freezer.

I think most of us who are having problems have the bottom freezer?

Back