Sampling via Oil Filter removal???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've browsed some of the standard ways of sampling oil but highly prefer a really simple method. So, I am thinking of just removing the oil filter and dumping whatever is in there in the sample tube. How well would you expect this to work?

Sure, it could possibly give me somewhat higher soot and wear metals readings perhaps. My primary objective however is to make sure there is not antifreeze in the oil, and that things aren't going disasterously wrong.

Would there be enough oil to fill a sample kit? Any other possible problems?

You'd get plenty of oil that way, but if you're going for easy just get yourself a $10 hand oil pump and suck out a little bit. You won't even need any paper towels.
wink.gif

You're probably right. It just occured to me there will be a potential mess of oil to clean up from the drips after you remove the filter. I have a handpump but would need to find some store to get the long enough tubing to fit down that tube thingy leading to the oilpan.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
You'd get plenty of oil that way, but if you're going for easy just get yourself a $10 hand oil pump and suck out a little bit. You won't even need any paper towels.
wink.gif

Where did you find a 10.00 pump? all the onnes I know of are 20.00 or perhaps you are dating yourself
smile.gif
anyway, do you have any idea where I can find the replacement tubing ?

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

wink.gif

Where did you find a 10.00 pump? all the onnes I know of are 20.00 or perhaps you are dating yourself
smile.gif

You can get replacement tubing at a pet store, just use the aquarium tubing which is used for the air bubble stuff which goes in the tanks. It comes in all kinds of lengths and is dirt cheap.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

wink.gif

smile.gif

I found one for $10 at Fred Meyer about two weeks ago, although I think those stores are only around the NW. I'm pretty sure I've seen them at other stores for around that price.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
-*-*You can get replacement tubing at a pet store, just use the aquarium tubing which is used for the air bubble stuff which goes in the tanks. It comes in all kinds of lengths and is dirt cheap.

I think it's too soft, no? My tubing is fairly hard. I have tried to put some firm but large plastic bottles when I had a lot of wear problems just awhile ago so I could drain about 1-Qrt to extend my drains a tad... but the bottles did not withstand the suction. I also tried a softer tube, and the tube would not hold to the suction created.
DO THEY have several grades of tube?

The tubing I bought for my fish tank seems pretty hard, at least as hard as the tubing supplied to me with my oil suction pump. I guess the best thing to do is check a few different pet stores to see what different brands of plastic tubing they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back