Same PSI yet oversized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people have been suggesting me to oversize my XG6607 to XG7317, even though they are the same PSI is there any cons of doing this?

I had planned to get oversized M1 as well but not too sure right now as M1 does not have one similar to XG7317

More oil capacity and filter media if that makes you feel better, but that's about it. (There's no "proof" that it actually helps the life of your car.)

The only con I can think of is if you were to have a failure with an over-sized filter, it wouldn't be covered by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
More oil capacity and filter media if that makes you feel better, but that's about it. (There's no "proof" that it actually helps the life of your car.)

The only con I can think of is if you were to have a failure with an over-sized filter, it wouldn't be covered by the manufacturer.

I actually overfill my engine by 200ml or .4 qt every time, so there is that.

I am planning to do it after the warranty in case.

Also, my filter looks like a bike filter

Last edited:
Of the two I would go with Fram Ultra, it has 2 layers synthetic media vs syn-blend for M1, also it is cheaper at around $10. If you have Pep Boys around they have 30% off any purchase, it makes Ultra at only $7/ea.
You can't buy any spin on oil filter better than Fram Ultra at around $7/ea.

Originally Posted By: Stewie

Yeah its very very small. That's the size our Kubota takes actually and since its used in dusty conditions, I prefer a larger filter.

Do you have room for the Fram 9688/ WIX 51334? It's fatter as well as longer than the 6607.

*The PSI is 1-3 (10 vs. 13 I think?) off though IIRC, but its so small it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
The larger filter will have a lower differential pressure since it has more media with the same bypass so that could be desirable if the cost is the same and warranty is over.

Yeah its very very small. That's the size our Kubota takes actually and since its used in dusty conditions, I prefer a larger filter.

Do you have room for the Fram 9688/ WIX 51334? It's fatter as well as longer than the 6607.

*The PSI is 1-3 (10 vs. 13 I think?) off though IIRC, but its so small it shouldn't matter.

Is it bigger than 7317?

Many people have been suggesting me to oversize my XG6607 to XG7317, even though they are the same PSI is there any cons of doing this?
I had planned to get oversized M1 as well but not too sure right now as M1 does not have one similar to XG7317

Strictly a "feel good" mod with only a very small risk. Unlikely to get you into any trouble.

Our fleet V8's have micro tiny lil filters and last to unreal mileages with no special care at all in a very tough duty cycle...

Is it bigger than 7317?

I believe the 3593A also shares the thread/gasket dimensions as the 7317 and 6607. They used to be found on every Honda >10 years ago, then Honda started switching to 7317 size.

Oh, God! If I would have said that the uber-fanboys in this sub-forum would be all up in arms yelling, "TROLL"!

OEM, factory-size "rock catchers", cheap store brand name filters, and/or WIX XP with it's advertised 50% @ 20 microns, it does not matter. Your engine will not drive one mile farther or one minute longer no matter what you choose.

I have witnessed neglected, hard working engines survive for years with many thousands of hours and many thousands of miles in deplorable conditions with cheap filters and some with no oil filters at all.

All of this efficiency ratings and over-sized filter talk is nothing more than BITOG chest-thumping, "I got/want the best" mentality. In the end, it will not make one bit of difference.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Strictly a "feel good" mod with only a very small risk. Unlikely to get you into any trouble.

Our fleet V8's have micro tiny lil filters and last to unreal mileages with no special care at all in a very tough duty cycle...

Is it bigger than 7317?

Yes. I believe they are about the same length, but the 9688 has a much larger diameter. The thread pitch and gasket are the same of course though.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

All of this efficiency ratings and over-sized filter talk is nothing more than BITOG chest-thumping, "I got/want the best" mentality. In the end, it will not make one bit of difference... .

I witness my Nissan Versa Note knocking HARD in the winter with the tiny hamster sized Chinese Nissan filter. I then put on a Honda -pcx004 and the cold oil-starved knock went away. So not all filters are good - even factory units. ESP the older Nissan with almost no clearance around the cardboard end caps for oil to flow - never mind the possibly over-treated paper. Same problems a decade ago with THAI denso Toyota garbage.

Last edited:
I think your nissan knocking was more to do with you drag racing it from stop sign to stop sign cold than the oil filter....
smile.gif

Luckily my last few cars spec normal sized filters so I dont have to shop around. Still have 6 black toyo roki's for the 2015 forester as well.
After they run out.. there is a mazda filter that is the same thing.

Oil filter choice is nothing compared to keeping a good condition air filter that's well sealed.

And since engines (except arco's) usually outlive the rest of the vehicle.. Oil filter are just not very important. That being said I always run good ones just because. Fram Ultra is the current bitog darling and its a really good filter.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I witness my Nissan Versa Note knocking HARD in the winter with the tiny hamster sized Chinese Nissan filter. I then put on a Honda -pcx004 and the cold oil-starved knock went away. So not all filters are good - even factory units. ESP the older Nissan with almost no clearance around the cardboard end caps for oil to flow - never mind the possibly over-treated paper. Same problems a decade ago with THAI denso Toyota garbage.

Last edited:
No, I'm a Master Mechanic AND a Mechanical Engineer so I am quite attuned to engine stress and performance issues - more of a curse if you must know. I propose that 9 sq-in of glassfibre-pulp media is not enough available area for an oil filter in an motorcar engine over 1L - Especially with E10 fuel dilution products scumming the media. Ive had what appeared to be pressurized oil in a removed oil filter (2011 Ford Ranger Mazda 2.3DOHC) - explain that phenom. API adn ILSAC Committee is well aware of ethanol fuel interaction problem and plugging oil filters. SSSssshhh! It a secret though; Big Corn is watching!

Even if your filter media is plugged solid you shouldn't have "hard knocking", you know that I'm sure. Oil should still flow plenty. Too thick oil, or failed adbv? I am glad you said what appeared to be pressurized oil, because I doubt it was, like you say, how can you explain that one.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Even if your filter media is plugged solid you shouldn't have "hard knocking", you know that I'm sure. Oil should still flow plenty. Too thick oil, or failed adbv? I am glad you said what appeared to be pressurized oil, because I doubt it was, like you say, how can you explain that one.
I can-media was plugged, ADBV was holding pressure in between the media & the can.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I believe the 3593A also shares the thread/gasket dimensions as the 7317 and 6607. They used to be found on every Honda >10 years ago, then Honda started switching to 7317 size.

Fram 3593A is about the same size as Honda PCX-004 for S2000.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Honda PCX-004 is a very filter, it is OE filter for S2000 which has redline up to 9,000 RPM (AP1). At that high RPM it needs a good oil flow and PCX-004 can handle it without problem. As of now my local dealers want $20 for it, online is about $10. Currently I use over-sized Wix and Fram Ultra XG3593A.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I can-media was plugged, ADBV was holding pressure in between the media & the can.

You must envision pressure sealing oil pumps and rubber adbv's. I doubt that, and that the oil filter was plugged solid, which wouldn't matter anyway IMO. Oil pumps have clearance and the galleries are rigid, the pressure is going to go down right away. I would say it is a dose of imagination, something against E10, and a bunch of oil coming out of an oil filter by gravity. All the gas I have used for years has been with ethanol and no filter was plugged by it. Maybe a little frank, but that is how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back