Salsify Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to find salsify since last summer, but I haven't had any luck. Doesn't really matter, because salsify is a female dog to clean. It's called "black roots" in German for a reason! That stuff won't come off your fingers for days.

Today I got a shipment of 20 cans of salsify that my agent in Munich sent me. When I open the first can, I'll post a picture of the content. Not that it matters, salsify looks pretty much like white asparagus pieces.
grin2.gif

salsify.jpg

what does it taste like/what is it used for?

Not sure if Ive had that one.

Thanks,

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
what does it taste like/what is it used for?

Cooked salsify looks and has texture somewhat like asparagus. The flavor is pleasant, mild and a bit sour. Salisfy is most commonly boiled or steamed adn served as a side dish, but it can be also roasted, baked or grilled. It's suitable for making tempura and for making gratins. You can make mashed salsify and bake salsify fritters.

There are several kinds of salsify. The one I'm talking about here is black salsify (scorzonera = Italian for "black bark"), which is the most popular one that can be commonly found in Europe.

Black salsify is also known as black vegetable-oyster plant, serpent root, and viper's grass in the US.

The roots look like this. Once cleaned the root is a creamy white.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I think it is for washing dogs.

*woof woof!*

Originally Posted By: sprintman
U.K chefs use a lot of Salsify if memory hasn't completely gone. Suppopsedly plentiful in Australia, I want some..s

In Europe, including the UK, black salsify is one of the more popular vegetables. In Belgium it's almost the national veg. You should find some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back