Salmon Cakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tasty like crab cakes but better! My wife BBQ'd a big hunk of the King yesterday, and then today made fish cakes out of the leftover salmon.

Dude.

The hide tasted so good I thought she used panko for the outside breading, but it was different - she used saltine crackers! Weird, I know, but combined with the salmon - dude!

I use saltines in my salmon patties too, mix salmon with a handful of crushed saltines and an egg, form into patties and fry till golden brown..
works well with tuna too..

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Tasty like crab cakes but better!

Better than crab cakes???
Not in my opinion. Good quality crab cakes are one of my favorites.

hd - Crab cakes can taste good, but are often a bit mushy by their nature - due to the moist coolness of crab meat.

Salmon - especially well done on the BBQ is a bit drier and flavorful and makes great patties. Have you had salmon cakes home made? (The Costco ones were dreadful)

Strange that saltine breading had it's own following....I gotta get out more often
smile.gif

I grew up in Minnesota in the 50's fishing for, and eating, walleyes, northerns, perch, bass, ****pies, and sunfish. Saltine cracker (crushed of course) breading was common then in Minnesota. It has been since then, was before then, and still is. It also works for sea fish such as cod and haddock.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
hd - Crab cakes can taste good, but are often a bit mushy by their nature - due to the moist coolness of crab meat.

Salmon - especially well done on the BBQ is a bit drier and flavorful and makes great patties. Have you had salmon cakes home made? (The Costco ones were dreadful)

Only the ones my Mom used to make (maybe that's the problem?). I like them, but I just prefer crab cakes. The best ones I've had are in the Maryland/Chesapeake Bay area. It has to be really fresh lump crab meat and the right blend of spices.
As has been discussed here often, certain areas are known for certain things. The best salmon I've ever eaten was in Seattle. I think they grilled it over an alder wood fire with some seasonings although they wouldn't tell me what and I haven't been able to duplicate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back