Salmon Cakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually have some sort of fish at least 3 times a week. It's easy to make, it tastes great, it's healthy and it's very low calorie.

Tonight it was salmon cakes, one of my simple, yet most flavorful fish dinners.

Start with a couple of salmon fillets. I use wild caught salmon, about $6 for two 8 ounce fillets.

Chop into 1/4 inch squares, toss in a bowl, add an egg, add some Old Bay Seasoning, and some plain breadcrumbs (as a binder). Mix it well.

Shape into patties. I usually make 4, but could easily make 6 smaller cakes. Once made, cover and let them rest for an hour or two.

Once the flavors have had an hour or so to marry heat a skillet with a little oil. If you use olive oil heat to about 350, if you use a higher smoke point oil (peanut, canola, etc.) bump it up to 375. Just an 1/8 inch or less in the bottom of the skillet is fine.

Put some panko bread crumbs on a plate, and coat each side of the cakes with the panko bread crumbs. Drizzle a bit of lemon juice over the cakes (fish and lemons are a match made in heaven). Put them in a skillet and, turn a couple times so they brown evenly on each side.

While they are cooking I like to grab a few fresh peeled/deveined shrimp and toss them into another skillet in a little canola or peanut oil. Sear them for 7 or 8 minutes, and pull everything together. About $2 for enough to augment our salmon cakes.

A healthy dinner for about $5.00 per person. It tastes as good as it looks, and when I make more than we can eat, the salmon cakes are fantastic when reheated for lunch the next day. We do love fish, and salmon is at the top of our list.

Looks great! I just picked up some wild caught pollock tonight, I know its a cheap fish but with some lemon, pepper, and salt it can be mighty tasty on the grill! Honey pepper salmon is one of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Cakes4_zps52a295ba.jpg

So delicious. I love seafood !

Wow that looks great, thanks for the recipe!

I like your chef's knife and the fact that you're using a cast iron skillet, very cool. I also wish I had a gas stove.

Last edited:

Start with a couple of salmon fillets. I use wild caught salmon, about $6 for two 8 ounce fillets.

So, $6 for 16 ounces of wild-caught Salmon. Earlier today, I bought farm-raised Atlantic Salmon for $8/lb. Where are you getting wild-caught salmon at the price that you described?

Wild caught salmon fillet down in So Cal is usually priced at $14-16 a pound, farm raised is about $8-10 a pound. OP is in Midwest so the price of ild caught salmon fillet is cheaper.

Looks great! Unfortunately there is nothing on this Earth that will trip my gag reflex quicker then salmon. I want so much to like salmon. Many of the salmon dishes I see look good, but I just handle the taste of salmon.
frown.gif

Looks great. We made some very similarly about two weeks ago, but finished them on the grill. Delicious.

How do you verify the temperature on the skillet??

A healthy dinner for about $5.00 per person. It tastes as good as it looks...

No green/red/yellow vegetables though???

Originally Posted By: The Critic

So, $6 for 16 ounces of wild-caught Salmon. Earlier today, I bought farm-raised Atlantic Salmon for $8/lb. Where are you getting wild-caught salmon at the price that you described?

The fresh seafood department of our local grocery store. Their seafood prices are very good and the quality is great.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I verified it with a thermometer years ago, and I "know" the burners on the stove well enough to be able to hit a temperature that I want, within a few degrees.

Lunch was a great big garden salad which more than satisfied my vegetable needs for the day.

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
I like your chef's knife and the fact that you're using a cast iron skillet, very cool. I also wish I had a gas stove.

Thanks. I usually use Rada knives. They are an outstanding American made knife at a very good price point. All of mine are at least 10 years old.

Cast iron is about all that I cook on. You can't beat it for quality, heat retention and durability.

The fresh seafood department of our local grocery store. Their seafood prices are very good and the quality is great.

I verified it with a thermometer years ago, and I "know" the burners on the stove well enough to be able to hit a temperature that I want, within a few degrees.

Lunch was a great big garden salad which more than satisfied my vegetable needs for the day.

Thanks. I usually use Rada knives. They are an outstanding American made knife at a very good price point. All of mine are at least 10 years old.

Cast iron is about all that I cook on. You can't beat it for quality, heat retention and durability.

Hyvee?

Originally Posted By: volk06

Hyvee?

Indeed.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Pop_Rivit said:

Hyvee?

Indeed.

They do have any awesome seafood department, especially in the new hyvee stores. I love that I can actually buy USA Gulf shrimp instead of Indonesia or Thailand.

Looks/sounds very good. I'll have to mention it to the boss.
Wife happens to have salmon in the fridge in a brine solution right now which will end up in the smoker tomorrow morning.
The other one will be doing some beef jerky.
She figures might as well run both smokers at the same time. I'm not one to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back